The Race Place

Gordy

karrotsishere

1. How did you get involved in racing, is it mainly a hobby for you? It’s mainly a hobby for me. I first got interested during my second year of high school when I made friends with a guy who was right into it. Back then it was tuning into 1ZB on a Saturday and listening to commentary’s from the likes of Syd Tonks, Peter Kelly, Dave Clarkson and Reg Clapp. I was more into trotting back then, and I still have a couple of scrap books with newspaper clippings of results and finishes from the early 70s. Whenever there was a meeting at Alexandra park on a Saturday night I would catch a bus from Hobsonville to Pt Chevalier, then get on the free race bus from there to the course. I used the money I earned from 2 lawn mowing jobs to punt with.

2. How many years have you been involved & in what capacity? (Punters & enthusiasts are an important part of the industry). So I was right into it in my late teens early 20s, but only small amounts of dollar each way bets. I would buy a Best Bets and Friday Flash each week and attend any local race meeting. However once I got married and was saving hard to buy a house, then kids on the way racing and punting got put to one side. Since then I have just taken a passing interest in racing along with all my sporting interests. Through my work in the fruit and produce industry I got to know a few Chinese retailers who were big punters and also owners of some handy horses. My uncle has had shares in a handful of horses over the years without any real success. His latest horse is probably the best one he has had, Sophisticardo. My uncle forwards me the updates he gets from Jamie Richards so I got to follow Sophisticardos progress right from the beginning.

3. What is your biggest win on the punt? As I said I was only a small time punter so I was never going to get a big collect. I did strike a $1 quinella at Alexandra park that paid $120.00 back in the mid 70s which was a decent amount when my weekly wage was less than $100 per week. I have never had a TAB account, maybe because I saw my school mate when he was old enough to have one, be $200.00 up on his afternoon galloping bets, then blow it all on bets at Addington.

4. Believe you may or (then again may not have bet on the horses as a young fella hehe), off to the tote hehe, so it captured your interest back then, do you have any fun story to share regarding any of these times? When I first started punting I was below the permitted age. I can’t remember if it was 18 or 20 ? So to put a bet on the tote I had to ask a stranger to put it on for me, usually an older woman, or take my chances putting it on myself. I can only remember being turned down once at the window, at Avondale. I just went along to another window and got it on. I never had any rejections at Alexandra park, mainly because the windows were lower and they couldn’t see your face, especially around the back of the tote where the collect windows were. You just had to keep an eye out for the odd cop that stood there surveying the scene looking for anyone looking underage. Also back then if there was 3 of us and only 1 members stand badge, one of us would go up first showing the badge to the old guy at the entrance then drop the badge off the side of the stand to the next guy, and so on till we were all in the stand. Much better view from the members than the public.

5. What do you enjoy on this chat forum? I very much enjoy PJ's competitions and I like to think that even with my lack of knowledge on reading form and all the other things that make a successful punter, I hold my own more than I should. I get the same feeling when one of my picks wins as I would if I had actual money on it. Everyone seems to get on well on here, and you can give an opinion without having ridicule and scorn pored on you. I got here after originally becoming a member of Race cafe back in 2005. Someone like me with no 'skin in the game' could only look on. Chief stipe then started another site which a lot of us joined but that went west for some reason, then Pete and Alan opened this site and it's been pretty much plain sailing since with a great batch of members who I would be happy to call friends.

6. What is your fav gallop track? I haven't been to many tracks at all, some only once or twice. At the beginning it would have to be Alexandra park, for the atmosphere back then and I was young with no responsibility's or commitments. In later years I enjoyed driving into Avondale racecourse, parking in front of the stand by the track, then wandering around to the parade ring, looking at the horses, having a small bet, then watching the race by the fence. Then a quick drive home.

7. What would motivate you to become an interest in a horse? Is there anything? If I won lotto I would definitely be interested, but there is a snow balls chance in hell of her indoors ever agreeing to use our savings to buy a share in a race horse and paying the ongoing costs of keeping it.

8. Who is your fav horse? My favourite pacer, Christian Cullen. Remember his miracle mile win? Galloper, It's a Dundeel, I have his win over Atlantic jewel in the 2013 Underwood stakes on YouTube.

9. What is your most vivid experience in racing? Or what is your fondest memory in racing? Watching Kotare Chief win the 1987 Auckland cup

10. What is it you love about racing? Watching good horses and good jockeys and the almost unpredictable outcomes of races. You would think that picking a horse to place in 4 different race's wouldn't be too difficult, but going by that comp early in the year, it's damn hard.

11. Have you watched the movie Phar Lap? If so what were your thoughts? I have never seen this movie, but have seen Sea Biscuit a few times and enjoyed it.

12. You participate in the Gallops comp on here & have put your name down for the Harness comp, actually we are team mates in Team Stanley Rio, other than that do you have much involvement in Harness or others from the Harness world? No involvement at all.

13. How have your team been doing in the comps? When I first started entering PJ's comps in 2016 one of the first teams I was in were the Broncos, my teammates were Howie, Geoff, Rob and Betty, and we managed to win a grand final. I have been a regular member of a very stable, but unlucky Blues team, and won a comp a few months back as a member of Roland's roughnecks.

14. Its Xmas & New Years time, any wonderful plans or perhaps racing plans? Or was it ever a habit/hobby to go to any of the race meets around this time of year, Harness has a popular South Island grass circuit & North gallops has popular Boxing Day, New Years meeting. As a family in the early 70s till the late 80s we always went to Ellerslie on New Year's Day. Like a lot of people back then we would park on the infield and picnic. We stopped going when they closed most of the infield and charged an arm an a leg to park. I will just lounge in my lazy boy with my iPad at my side to keep up to date with the comps, and watch racing on the TV.

15. Anything else you could think of to add might be interesting? I follow most sports, especially if there are kiwis taking part. I could watch a 5 hour tour da France stage non stop and not get bored, and I am pretty good at answering any sports questions on The Chase.

image.thumb.jpeg.ae3807d4c214f28e54c754b1ec5fb379.jpeg.216c7244c8876d50b1e83c6ac4abbebb.jpeg

image-1.thumb.jpeg.babdd64c778179027dc046a263950311.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a539a3b3dd5f144e57ca44da48b3d29c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.59652abc42e4c57e957b8b37e6f6ea41.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.00869d17e3655f515618518e31bc08a7.jpeg

Edited by karrotsishere
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Good stuff Gordy, and a Westy as well

There is a common misconception on these chat forums(not this one), that your comments only count, if you have 'skin in the game'.  Usually comes from the old lags that have been in the industry since Adam was a boy

What a load of bollocks

For a start, the forum finds it's own level.  If people like what you say, they will respond accordingly

Secondly, punters are what drive the racing industry, and this site seems to have more of a slant towards the punting side, as opposed to people who are actually in the industry

• Like 6

1 hour ago, karrotsishere said:

1. How did you get involved in racing, is it mainly a hobby for you? It’s mainly a hobby for me. I first got interested during my second year of high school when I made friends with a guy who was right into it. Back then it was tuning into 1ZB on a Saturday and listening to commentary’s from the likes of Syd Tonks, Peter Kelly, Dave Clarkson and Reg Clapp. I was more into trotting back then, and I still have a couple of scrap books with newspaper clippings of results and finishes from the early 70s. Whenever there was a meeting at Alexandra park on a Saturday night I would catch a bus from Hobsonville to Pt Chevalier, then get on the free race bus from there to the course. I used the money I earned from 2 lawn mowing jobs to punt with.

2. How many years have you been involved & in what capacity? (Punters & enthusiasts are an important part of the industry). So I was right into it in my late teens early 20s, but only small amounts of dollar each way bets. I would buy a Best Bets and Friday Flash each week and attend any local race meeting. However once I got married and was saving hard to buy a house, then kids on the way racing and punting got put to one side. Since then I have just taken a passing interest in racing along with all my sporting interests. Through my work in the fruit and produce industry I got to know a few Chinese retailers who were big punters and also owners of some handy horses. My uncle has had shares in a handful of horses over the years without any real success. His latest horse is probably the best one he has had, Sophisticardo. My uncle forwards me the updates he gets from Jamie Richards so I got to follow Sophisticardos progress right from the beginning.

3. What is your biggest win on the punt? As I said I was only a small time punter so I was never going to get a big collect. I did strike a $1 quinella at Alexandra park that paid $120.00 back in the mid 70s which was a decent amount when my weekly wage was less than $100 per week. I have never had a TAB account, maybe because I saw my school mate when he was old enough to have one, be $200.00 up on his afternoon galloping bets, then blow it all on bets at Addington.

4. Believe you may or (then again may not have bet on the horses as a young fella hehe), off to the tote hehe, so it captured your interest back then, do you have any fun story to share regarding any of these times? When I first started punting I was below the permitted age. I can’t remember if it was 18 or 20 ? So to put a bet on the tote I had to ask a stranger to put it on for me, usually an older woman, or take my chances putting it on myself. I can only remember being turned down once at the window, at Avondale. I just went along to another window and got it on. I never had any rejections at Alexandra park, mainly because the windows were lower and they couldn’t see your face, especially around the back of the tote where the collect windows were. You just had to keep an eye out for the odd cop that stood there surveying the scene looking for anyone looking underage. Also back then if there was 3 of us and only 1 members stand badge, one of us would go up first showing the badge to the old guy at the entrance then drop the badge off the side of the stand to the next guy, and so on till we were all in the stand. Much better view from the members than the public.

5. What do you enjoy on this chat forum? I very much enjoy PJ's competitions and I like to think that even with my lack of knowledge on reading form and all the other things that make a successful punter, I hold my own more than I should. I get the same feeling when one of my picks wins as I would if I had actual money on it. Everyone seems to get on well on here, and you can give an opinion without having ridicule and scorn pored on you. I got here after originally becoming a member of Race cafe back in 2005. Someone like me with no 'skin in the game' could only look on. Chief stipe then started another site which a lot of us joined but that went west for some reason, then Pete and Alan opened this site and it's been pretty much plain sailing since with a great batch of members who I would be happy to call friends.

6. What is your fav gallop track? I haven't been to many tracks at all, some only once or twice. At the beginning it would have to be Alexandra park, for the atmosphere back then and I was young with no responsibility's or commitments. In later years I enjoyed driving into Avondale racecourse, parking in front of the stand by the track, then wandering around to the parade ring, looking at the horses, having a small bet, then watching the race by the fence. Then a quick drive home.

7. What would motivate you to become an interest in a horse? Is there anything? If I won lotto I would definitely be interested, but there is a snow balls chance in hell of her indoors ever agreeing to use our savings to buy a share in a race horse and paying the ongoing costs of keeping it.

8. Who is your fav horse? My favourite pacer, Christian Cullen. Remember his miracle mile win? Galloper, It's a Dundeel, I have his win over Atlantic jewel in the 2013 Underwood stakes on YouTube.

9. What is your most vivid experience in racing? Or what is your fondest memory in racing? Watching Kotare Chief win the 1987 Auckland cup

10. What is it you love about racing? Watching good horses and good jockeys and the almost unpredictable outcomes of races. You would think that picking a horse to place in 4 different race's wouldn't be too difficult, but going by that comp early in the year, it's damn hard.

11. Have you watched the movie Phar Lap? If so what were your thoughts? I have never seen this movie, but have seen Sea Biscuit a few times and enjoyed it.

12. You participate in the Gallops comp on here & have put your name down for the Harness comp, actually we are team mates in Team Stanley Rio, other than that do you have much involvement in Harness or others from the Harness world? No involvement at all.

13. How have your team been doing in the comps? When I first started entering PJ's comps in 2016 one of the first teams I was in were the Broncos, my teammates were Howie, Geoff, Rob and Betty, and we managed to win a grand final. I have been a regular member of a very stable, but unlucky Blues team, and won a comp a few months back as a member of Roland's roughnecks.

14. Its Xmas & New Years time, any wonderful plans or perhaps racing plans? Or was it ever a habit/hobby to go to any of the race meets around this time of year, Harness has a popular South Island grass circuit & North gallops has popular Boxing Day, New Years meeting. As a family in the early 70s till the late 80s we always went to Ellerslie on New Year's Day. Like a lot of people back then we would park on the infield and picnic. We stopped going when they closed most of the infield and charged an arm an a leg to park. I will just lounge in my lazy boy with my iPad at my side to keep up to date with the comps, and watch racing on the TV.

15. Anything else you could think of to add might be interesting? I follow most sports, especially if there are kiwis taking part. I could watch a 5 hour tour da France stage non stop and not get bored, and I am pretty good at answering any sports questions on The Chase.

image.thumb.jpeg.ae3807d4c214f28e54c754b1ec5fb379.jpeg.216c7244c8876d50b1e83c6ac4abbebb.jpeg

image-1.thumb.jpeg.babdd64c778179027dc046a263950311.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a539a3b3dd5f144e57ca44da48b3d29c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.59652abc42e4c57e957b8b37e6f6ea41.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.00869d17e3655f515618518e31bc08a7.jpeg

Great stuff Karrots and Gordy.

• Like 2

Very interesting read Karrots ..

i did quite a few of those things you did when i was a youngster ask people to put a bet on for me .the tab tickets then were in duplicate form ,

you took stub back to tab agency to collect.

Always liked Trentham and Foxton when we went to central districts racing Dad and us kids sister and me go on the NZR buses as the driver Nick

was friend of family..

It was a big thrill to see our horse one of a number we raced trained by Mick Preston(Levin) win at Foxton. beating the best sprinter racing at that time

ARCHIMEDES and then paying 10pounds -16 shillings and sixpence. Archimedes as raced by president of foxton course and Dad had a wager with him 

that Goldy Boy would beat his horse. Later that day at the luncheon my sister was handed a brief case to hold   i wasn't allowed to carry it

.in it was over 5k pounds.

the horses dad owned at the time were Goldy Boy(Golden Abbey-Pyramid)-Goldy Girl(Zebra-Titena)also shares in Potico-Yukiko- Danjiki-

Goldy Boy was our best running 5th in 1968 Wellington Cup won by LOOFAH. He was ridden by B.F.Andrews. then sold to Aust where he was quite successful .winning an Internatoinal race in Doomben and third in Brisbane Cup and winning other races after numerous seconds. He was an entire when sold but i lost track of him after 73!

I was an still am a small punter  $2/3 and take % trebles n trifectas ..

I'm  not skiting BUT my biggest collect was a $6 EB Pick6 in march 2007 collecting $59,988.00 i've never had a huge collect in pick 6s ever since.

also had an EB treble a few years back on a hong kong treble for $14k

still got proof of what i posted but not sure how to upload on here .photo finishes of races and finishing photos of Goldy Boy's race and those EP

records you used to receive from the races. they are now on tapes with peter kelly calling the races.

i enjoy going to local meetings  OTAKI,Awapuni and  Trentham. i spent a few years as courier in Melbourne and lived not far from Moonee Valley

course and went regularly for trots and gallopsa was there when Solvit and Phantoms Chance won .

anyway that enough for now ..BUT my sojourn in Racing wasnt by family but by betting boarding school mates 6pence a race each sat from picking winners from race books we smuggled into school those were the days.

• Like 6

Some names in that scrap book that bring back memory's. My old fav Radiant Globe, and Birdie Hanover ( by the gun sire Bachelor Hanover) Arapaho etc, who at one stage was gunning for 10 wins in a row. And Miss debra finishing 3rd in a good top class pacers race, those with long memory's will remember her winning some top class Trotting races as well. Double Gaited. Thanks Gordy.

• Like 4

Also  Karrot when i worked for NEWMANS bus lines in wellington i won a free trip to christchurch 74 Interdoms . the one Junior  Royal won 

then disqualified .. Stella Frost and Holy Hal got promoted. .Geffin Manaroa , Mount Eden ,freelegged pacer Mount Eden ,.Arapaho, i think from memory Young Quin was there .aust Last Flood placed  at good odds. we did pretty well punting wise ..a good week away.from work!

• Like 3

A fascinating read, Gordy, thank you so much for contributing this. 
Your story bears many similarities to mine, in particular your background as a younger fella starting out with harness racing at Alexandra Park.
Your reminiscences of under-age punting at 'The Park' brought a smile to my face, that was exactly my remiscence there in the early-mid '70s.
Also of you travelling to catch the free bus to the races .... I used to do that too ...bus-ride to Avondale, then a free bus to Ellerslie from there.  
Yours is a brilliant story, Gordy .....what a great guy you are to have on this racing site, and  in these PJ Comps.
More power to you, my Blues Brother ! 🙂
Many thanks, Karrots.

Edited by TooFast
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Godzstar1 said:

Also  Karrot when i worked for NEWMANS bus lines in wellington i won a free trip to christchurch 74 Interdoms . the one Junior  Royal won 

then disqualified .. Stella Frost and Holy Hal got promoted. .Geffin Manaroa , Mount Eden ,freelegged pacer Mount Eden ,.Arapaho, i think from memory Young Quin was there .aust Last Flood placed  at good odds. we did pretty well punting wise ..a good week away.from work!

That was 1971 , Juniors Image. Arapaho and Young Quinn came a few years after that. Arapaho, Manaroa and Royal Ascot were in the  1973 Inters , that I attended .Aussies Last Flood and  Welcome Advice ( who subsequently won an Inter) and a Champion pacer finished 3rd and 4th I think. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

Yeah Im chasing hard mate at nearly 69. A heck of a lot of races and times to remember considering my Mum took me to Hutt Park as a nine yr old. 👍

I went to Hutt park once when I was staying with my Uncle during the School holidays. It was pretty bleak and rundown then compared to Alexandra park. 
Can you remember when and why they closed it down ? 

Regionalisation, the hub of Harness went North, travelling costs spiralled , stakes dropped so they couldn't entice decent horses and trainers. I think the last Wgtn Cup had C5 horses running. Not only that but in 1995 they surrendered the lease to Hutt Council who forgave $80,000 in rent and rates. But in 2001 the club went to court claiming $200, 000   over charged rates by the council, but lost the appeal. With the writing on the wall they asked the council to retain at least the track on the land but lost that also. It wasn't an all Weather track and had limited use in the courts eyes, which sadly added to its demise,although it was a shell grit surface and very fast. Cardigan Bay set his 1.56 and change time there, in the sixtys. Usually the weather was shiite there, and the rumour was that because it was set on Maori land they had cursed it. LOL.  A neat place to visit and many a great night watching the best horses in the land do battle. Stella Frost, Mount Eden, Young Quinn, Robalan, etc. 

• Like 2

yes being a Wellingtonian i often went to Hutt Park when a youngster i remember a Derek jones horse winning at good odds in the late 60's

Snowline i think from memory Also a friend of my Dad raced a pacer called Rustic Zephyr which won there a few times then sold but later broke down 

i used to own a few Rusty Zephyrs in my time as well i loved meeting mates at the hotel across from hutt park then go enjoy a night out at the trots.

probably our paths crossed a few times without knowing it!!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Godzstar1 said:

Snowline i think from memory

Reasonable horse and made the top grade . Remember it running second to my fav Radiant Globe at Hutt Park, and it was in a race at Addington against Bay Foyle from Australia, Sassenach, Radiant Globe etc. Think it was a 9yr old when it won at Hutt Park.