The Race Place

Ancestry DNA and the like

RaceChat

Now know said Id go offline but too bad, love this site lol. 

Kind of in LA. Did like this market research thing there. It was to participate you had to be something like 70% caucasian or more, to participate. In USA they are very black and white. They took my bloods etc.   Testing for this particular thing. 70% etc. 

They wanted for this particular study caucasian to give feedback on a particular topic. Cant recall what exactly it was. 

No racism just for this particular study.

Now I have a tan. So therefore may not by appearance pass. Even maybe Race Place Folk might be surprised only due to mwah TAN. Altho beetroot on belly etc atm. 

BUT result was a PASS.

No surprises by me. Knowing my background. But others maybe surprised. (never judge a book by its cover). 

Going off track sorry Racechat to topic started - It is interesting after all not sure why I participated in this study, maybe rebelling lol. To an incredibly wealthy controlling ex partner.

Recall reading about some Galloping lass that lost her life due to her galloping partner ex. He got done for murder now in NZ jail.

Life is so fascinating. Until you experience something, you can't even comprehend someone elses experience. 

Then you experience it & the signs are right there. 

Edited by karrotsishere

3 hours ago, RaceChat said:

Has anyone taken one of the consumer DNA tests and  found out  any secrets in the family?

Two of my kids (adults) have and we have (no surprises) Scottish, Irish, Welsh and Viking(scandinavian). Apart from following our ancestry back to the battle of Cullodin and being married to Mary queen of Scots we were a pretty bland lot full of teachers, smithies and metal workers.

• Haha 1

My brother ( half sibling to be precise ) did, he got very wrapped up in the whole thing.

He reckons there is a definite association on the maternal line to German stock, and has done more research that indicates we share the name Hess, or Hesse.

Does that mean I'm related to the Butcher of Auschwitz?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, barryb said:

Yes did it 2 yrs ago, took about 6 weeks from spitting into the bottle to getting the results, honestly think it’s a lot of bullshit.

If you are a NZ European it will come back a mixture of the British Isles, about 10% Scandinavian, a bit of Dutch and to be safe it will have a smidge of Polynesian as well.

I got 1% Polynesian.

It will suggest contacts for you around the world with very similar patterns and that is mildly interesting for about 2 weeks, before you get a sniff this is bullshit.

I know identical twins whom according to the tests weren’t even close to each other, hmmm. The response to it was cockamamy, they had different surnames.

Its entertaining but I wouldn’t put much value in it.

I have just talked to my brother, who has sent samples to both, myheritage.com and Ancestry in the last two years, and got results back which were similar. Ancestry has more depth in their data base. Presently, apparently no mail is being sent to the US which the hertiage sample is sent to.

My brother suggested when I mentioned about the twins being processed as no close match, that the one of the babies could have been accidentally misplaced while in the nursing home.

Well this is my story:

We [my wife and I] have been married for 48 years [I am now 73] and we never had kids.

Four years ago [late December] my sister bought a Ancestry DNA kit to try and find out more about our grandmother born in the 1880's, as our grandmother's father was unknown and thus a missing link. There were family rumors but nothing could be proved, because the man in question's two children died without issue, therefore as it turns out there is no close DNA available. [She was hoping to find out for her children's sake and to make it easier to keep up the family history. I of course had no need]

Anyway at the very same time [four years ago] a 47 year old lady in Sydney received a DNA kit for Christmas from her daughter, as all her life she yearned to know who her father was, because her mother wouldn't say or couldn't say!

A couple of months later when both peoples DNA went into the system you could say that the system bingo, or match up. Both parties received notification that they were only 1 degree separated and both wondered how could that be!

The lady in Sydney found my sister on Facebook and contacted her asking how is this possible, do you have any ideas? 

After a few backwards and forwards emails they concluded that someone close to my sister could be her missing father, and that someone could only be either my father [who would have been too old] or me!

Can you imagine how I felt?

I was asked if I would do a paternity test which I agreed to immediately, as I wanted to know one way or the other too.

Once I started talking to the lady, got photo's, found out where she was born, I was certain that the DNA from Ancestry wasn't wrong and so it was proven 4 weeks later by the paternity test!

Fast forward today. I now have a daughter [now] 51 years, three grand children and four great-grandchildren, the last one born 14 days ago.

Buying those two Ancestry DNA kits has made two people very happy and all of the families surrounding them.

Mine is a good story, many more will be the opposite for some people.

P.S. On the very first day that my sister contacted me, my immediate reaction was to buy my own kit and use it. When it arrived my wife said, "you are not using that, I don't want anymore children coming out of the woodwork", so I never did use it.

Instead I tried to give it to three of my best mates and they all refused to take it - I wonder why?

In the end I did give it away and in a short time it solved another 50 year mystery, and made someone else very very happy. I don't want to say anymore because of privacy, but let me assure you in my experience the kits could not be more accurate!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

It's a shame this stuff has become commercialized as when that happens everyone is out to make a quick buck.

There are organizations that are a million miles more trustworthy than others. Most rely on the public's lack of knowledge of genetic transmission.

We have experienced the same phenomenon in thoroughbred breeding where the company who put the most research into it themselves became greedy and made promises way beyond what they were capable of delivering, again taking advantage of breeders lack of knowledge regarding genetics.

We caught them out in year one when we put a DNA sample for Miss Finland (Golden Slipper, Oaks, etc) amongst the "blind" yearling samples we sent them. They were confident they could identify the future stars and among grading the samples gave Miss Finland an "F" (unlikely to win a race) ! Their subsequent predictions on the yearlings proved hopeless. You could have done better with a dartboard. Now this is sad and disappointing because I know this company undertook good research regarding heritability of genetic factors but they completely jumped the gun and made wild claims they could never back up.

I cannot stress to you how complex a DNA test would need to be to correlate all the factors that go into making a successful racehorse - we are probably many decades away from getting near this. And at the end of the day there are some factors which DNA testing can't solve and I'm not even referring to environment and rearing. I'm talking about "will to win". What goes on in a horse's head when the reins are shaken at them or they feel the persuader. Most will look for the soft way out. The greats will dig deeper. I'm not sure DNA testing could ever measure this.

I am a self-taught geneticist. Any qualified geneticists I have encountered say I am every bit their equal and this includes my daughter, herself a holder of a degree in genetics. In a high court trial in which I gave critical forensic evidence in the field of genetics, the defendant's legal team spent a day trying to discredit my evidence on the basis of my lacking a degree. The judge dismissed their objection after a day of argument !

The human DNA testing is fascinating but can still only tell you the merest fraction of your ancestry in real terms. They can confidently give you sireline and damline genetic mapping but beyond that matters are cloudy.

People are supposedly "shocked" they have African ancestry ! NEWSFLASH - we ALL have African ancestry ! A number of modern humans particularly in East Asia have Neanderthal genes amongst their genetic make up and also some have Denisovian ancestry (Melanesian & Aborigine predominately). Denisovians and Neanderthals were among the last of archaic human species, now extinct, to have existed and obviously shared the planet with early homo sapiens - our ancestors.

I think the important thing to take from this activity is that we are ALL related to each other. We really are one big family - it's note just a new age buzz-phrase.

The most recent common ancestor (MRCA), in other words an ancestor from whom everyone on the planet is descended, lived approximately 200,000 years ago - not that distant really.

The other concept to ponder with regard to how closely we are all related (in what is a heterozygous population) is that each one of us in the 30th generation of our pedigree has 1.07 billion ancestors. 30 generations back takes us to around the 12th or 13th century. There were not even 1 billion people on the planet at that time. At the conclusion of the Black Death in 1350 the world population has been calculated to have been about 375 million. So these simple math equations show that we have many, many ancestors repeated many times within our own pedigrees.

I am descended from the 13th Century English monarch Edward I (Longshanks) via the Drake and Hawkins families of Devon/Somerset/Cornwall as it happens. But you know something it's quite possible a number of you out there also share such a common ancestor. It's just that my path is identifiable. If we are talking historical ancient figures such as Augustus Caesar or even Charlemagne then we probably are all descendants. DNA tests will almost certainly not be able to tell you that, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/29/2021 at 9:19 AM, Freda said:

My brother ( half sibling to be precise ) did, he got very wrapped up in the whole thing.

He reckons there is a definite association on the maternal line to German stock, and has done more research that indicates we share the name Hess, or Hesse.

Does that mean I'm related to the Butcher of Auschwitz?

probably yep re Butcher but even more frightening is the possibility you arr related to the Hesi-meister ..