The Race Place

Derby winning jock retires?

ngakonui grass

Saw something on Facebook,from the LoveRacing site(i think) he said that he wanted to go out on his terms,and he rated that rides as the best of his career,so he said he's done and his retired and won't be making a comeback.

• Like 1

Racing: Kiwi jockey Leith Innes retires after brilliant $1 million Queensland Derby win on Pinarello

29 May, 2022 12:00 AM3 minutes to read
Leith Innes guided Pinarello to a stunning victory in the Group 1 Queensland Derby. Photo / Trackside Photography

Leith Innes guided Pinarello to a stunning victory in the Group 1 Queensland Derby. Photo / Trackside Photography

Michael Guerin
By 
Michael Guerin

Herald racing editor.

VIEW PROFILE

Kiwi jockey Leith Innes produced the greatest ride of his career to win the A$1 million Queensland Derby on Pinarello yesterday, then immediately retired.

"I am done. That was one of my best ever rides and I want to go out on a high," said the 44-year-old Aucklander.

"I considered it last year and I can't think of a better way to do it than winning this race like that. I won't be changing my mind in the morning. It is time for me and I am calling it quits.

"To do it winning a huge race for [owners] Brendan and Jo Lindsay who have been such big supporters of mine is the right way to go out.

"I know this horse is special enough he might go on to be a Cox Plate horse but I can't worry about that.

"The time is right for me. I guess I will have to get a job."

Innes is going out on a stunning high as he expertly guided Pinarello to overcome barrier 17 by gambling on going forward on the three-year-old to overcome the Eagle Farm track that suited leaders racing on the inside 7m of new ground.

He executed his plan to perfection and 300m after the start was one off ahead of midfield in a perfect spot, but then doubled down on his confidence by taking off three wide well before the home bend to clear traffic and give Pinarello a winning break.

Innes somehow achieved all of that and when the challengers came at the 200m the leggy gelding would not be denied.

Innes' genius final ride wasn't the only stunning display of New Zealand horsemanship in the victory as trainers Roger James and Robert Wellwood pulled off their own masterstroke to get Pinarello to the race ready to win.

The son of the late Tavistock overcame an interrupted preparation that saw him missing his logical lead-up race two weeks ago, so Pinarello hadn't started since bolting away with the Championship Stakes at Pukekohe on April 23.

After missing the Rough Habit Plate two weeks ago because of the heavy track James, who has trained five NZ Derby winners, had to get Pinarello fit enough to win the Derby over the punishing 2400m without flattening him in training on the soaked Queensland tracks.

This win at just his seventh start and against such odds suggests Pinarello is a serious Group 1 contender at either weight-for-age or in the Cups when he fully matures. He also provides the Lindsays, who own Cambridge Stud, with their second A$1 million Group 1 winner in Australia this season, after Probabeel won the Might And Power in October.

Like Innes, Probabeel is now retired, but in Pinarello the Lindsays and Cambridge Stud have a new star.

But whatever jockey partners him in the future will need a miracle to ride him as perfectly as Innes did in his last ride.

• Like 2

I'll offer a counter view

Yes it was a very good ride, but spare us all the usual racing bs, that it was the best ride ever.

Yes Innes got the horse over within the first 300m, so it was midfield, one out, but he was fortunate the gaps opened, as they can do as a race unfolds, so he could do that without interfering with any other horses.  Then he made sure he didn't get any traffic problems, which was not difficult as he was midfield and one out.  Then the horse had to be good enough to do the rest

Hesi, I think he negated the barrier draw by positively going forward and settling well off the fence. The training performance was outstanding too given the 6 week break 

A superb effort and maybe DD was undone, just a little with running on that very wet track 14 days ago, which I thought would undo him.

A very positive ride and great result for Cambridge Stud as he has secured future sire status. A huge result all round.

We certainly can get them going for Aussie spoils 

What about the run if The Chosen One, just massive and a big win a run away

1 hour ago, Turny said:

Hesi, I think he negated the barrier draw by positively going forward and settling well off the fence. The training performance was outstanding too given the 6 week break 

A superb effort and maybe DD was undone, just a little with running on that very wet track 14 days ago, which I thought would undo him.

A very positive ride and great result for Cambridge Stud as he has secured future sire status. A huge result all round.

We certainly can get them going for Aussie spoils 

What about the run if The Chosen One, just massive and a big win a run away

I don't think the Queensland Derby is a stallion making race, see below

https://www.tdnausnz.com.au/edition/2020-08-15/assessing-stallionmaking-races

And even if it was, I can say with 100% certainty that his fertility rate would be 0% 🙂

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hesi said:

I'll offer a counter view

Yes it was a very good ride, but spare us all the usual racing bs, that it was the best ride ever.

Yes Innes got the horse over within the first 300m, so it was midfield, one out, but he was fortunate the gaps opened, as they can do as a race unfolds, so he could do that without interfering with any other horses.  Then he made sure he didn't get any traffic problems, which was not difficult as he was midfield and one out.  Then the horse had to be good enough to do the rest

Apparently you're a negative person who has no joy in their life because you had the temerity to have an opinion.

Shame about the Euro loss Joey Boy. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

2 hours ago, pete said:

Apparently you're a negative person who has no joy in their life because you had the temerity to have an opinion.

???????

Thought I was quite positive compared to some of the people that frequent theses sites

Doesn't the person making those claims, with his wonderful command of the English language, regularly refer to the state of NZ racing, as 'Donald Ducked'

On 5/30/2022 at 5:57 AM, pete said:

By the way, thanks Pete for your support, been out most of the day, being joyful lol

I was just fishing, to see if those fellas from RC  would bite.  Can't be as great as made out over there, if they are regularly over here.

• 2 weeks later...