The Race Place

Chris Bishop just posted this on Facebook

pete

Last night Ian McKelvie MP’s bill to make it easier for BYO picnics at race tracks had its first reading. Great news!

Here’s the background to the bill. In 2018 Winston Peters (then Minister for Racing) took a swing at "bureaucratic shiny bums" interfering in traditional BYO picnics at summer race meetings. I then asked him a bunch of written questions and OIAs about what he was doing about it.

AFTER I asked him those, he commissioned some advice. The NZ Racing Board wrote him a very good report and recommended legislative change. He then did nothing, so I drafted a Member's Bill.

I wrote to Winston offering it up as a government bill. He ignored me. So I chucked it in the proverbial biscuit tin, when it was pulled in the new Parliament last year (October).

The Bill's pretty simple. The Police have been objecting to traditional BYO summer picnics at some race meetings (not all) around the country, typically rural and small ones, run by volunteers. 

The Bill says that race courses aren't the target of section 235 and just says that alcohol can be consumed on the unlicensed part of the race course as long as the club holds an on-license on some part of the course (e.g a bar).

The section is complicated and it probably needs some refinement at committee, but the intent is clear. Happy days!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hesi said:

Shows what an arsehole Winston is.  Only ever gets interested if there are votes in it

In fairness he may have known the bill wouldn’t have got the numbers to pass at the time. Or he may have had more pressing issues across his portfolios.  

Also for a part of the last term it wasn’t an issue due to gathering restrictions. 

Chris Bishop is currently a list MP but was the MP for my electorate, Hutt South between 2017 and 2020. Prior to that he stood for Hutt South in 2014 and lost to Trevor Mallard.

For a Tory he is a reasonable  and likeable guy. He is liberal having no issues with gays, abortion and does not play the Maori race card. He is an ideas man  who cares for his electorate.

The Hutt South electorate takes in affluent Woburn, Hutt Central and the posers of Eastbourne with the working class Wainui and Naenae. 

After the 2014 election he set up an office in Wainui and as a result did a lot better than expected there at the 2017 election.

I can  see him having a picnic and enjoying a few wines at Tauherenikau under one their many Totara trees.

• Like 1

People might recall, that in the lead up to the 2017 election, Winston put out a racing policy.  This policy was formally adopted as part of the coalition agreement

• Return a greater proportion of industry taxation to the racing codes.
  • Introduce a new (below Premier Meeting) category of meeting where every race will be for $15,000 minimum, with relativity across the codes.
  • Enhance employment and export opportunities by working with the industry to improve the international status of New Zealand Group 1 races to attract greater international interest.
  • Restore marque racing plans and prize money initiatives in line with New Zealand First policy implementation 2005 –2008
  • Return New Zealand racing to what it was good at. Racing needs breeding programmes to re-establish New Zealand as a first tier country in racing. That means policies assisting importation of quality mares, and properly using the sire cost write down.
  • Urgently review the operations and costs of the New Zealand Racing Board
  • Continue to support projects and initiatives, e.g. the Racing Safety Development Fund (a contestable fund of $1.5 million per annum, matching dollar for dollar contributions from racing clubs) that enhances safety and improves the quality of facilities in the racing industry, including the safety of riders, handlers, spectators, officials and others involved in racing codes, as well as the health and safety of animals.
  • Direct IRD and Treasury to respect the spirit of the laws passed to assist racing so we do not have specious departmental interpretations of laws that are clear to the industry.
  • Further improve the appeal of the racing industry to a wider audience by encouraging the promotion of “family-friendly” activities in conjunction with race meetings in all codes.
  • Defend the historic, modest share of the racing industry, to lawful gambling proceeds, against unreasonable attacks.

On 6/10/2022 at 8:43 PM, Hesi said:

People might recall, that in the lead up to the 2017 election, Winston put out a racing policy.  This policy was formally adopted as part of the coalition agreement

• Return a greater proportion of industry taxation to the racing codes.
  • Introduce a new (below Premier Meeting) category of meeting where every race will be for $15,000 minimum, with relativity across the codes.
  • Enhance employment and export opportunities by working with the industry to improve the international status of New Zealand Group 1 races to attract greater international interest.
  • Restore marque racing plans and prize money initiatives in line with New Zealand First policy implementation 2005 –2008
  • Return New Zealand racing to what it was good at. Racing needs breeding programmes to re-establish New Zealand as a first tier country in racing. That means policies assisting importation of quality mares, and properly using the sire cost write down.
  • Urgently review the operations and costs of the New Zealand Racing Board
  • Continue to support projects and initiatives, e.g. the Racing Safety Development Fund (a contestable fund of $1.5 million per annum, matching dollar for dollar contributions from racing clubs) that enhances safety and improves the quality of facilities in the racing industry, including the safety of riders, handlers, spectators, officials and others involved in racing codes, as well as the health and safety of animals.
  • Direct IRD and Treasury to respect the spirit of the laws passed to assist racing so we do not have specious departmental interpretations of laws that are clear to the industry.
  • Further improve the appeal of the racing industry to a wider audience by encouraging the promotion of “family-friendly” activities in conjunction with race meetings in all codes.
  • Defend the historic, modest share of the racing industry, to lawful gambling proceeds, against unreasonable attacks.

It's taken a while but most of it is done or being done.

I notice my local MP, Keirin McAnulty has now taken over the Racing Portfolio. How ironic considering he worked for the TAB for years. Good luck with him. Pphhhttt.

How that affects the above Policy in light of labour not standing a prayer of a chance in retaining power in the next election will be interesting. 

On 6/12/2022 at 6:19 PM, Joan of Arc said:

It's taken a while but most of it is done or being done.

So which is it.?   Most has been done (which leaves a small amount to be finalised, and implemented.  Or, most of it is being done ,which intimates bits of each are being worked on without a complete plan being finalised. ?

We all wait with much anticipation.