The Race Place

The Revolt Begins - Cambridge TC

Happy Sunrise

13 hours ago, Double R said:

Would Massacre have been bracketed with them at some stage, or was he after them?

Doesn't appear to be a start for Massacre in the Nz Cup at all. He was trained by an Apprentice Jockey and Coalminer 😆 named Duncan Campbell to win the Addington Interdominion 1961,  by '1/2 a nostril'  from False Step who everyone thought had won off 48yards (that Rees mentioned) . except the Judge disagreed lol... Doug Watts driving Massacre at huge odds 💰 rank outsider, for the famous victory in front of a massive Addington crowd.

Caduceus had won the 1960 Interdominion the year before at Harold Park, in front of a Mammoth 50,000 people . Extroadinary !!!!!   ( False Step won his 3rd Nz Cup 🏆 in 1960 as well ) so all three horses went off to America and ran well ('Blazing the Trail"   for Cardigan Bay to Follow to USA,  and conquer the world )

False Step won a $50k International invitation and was sold for $115k after. huge money at the time. Caduceus had a long career with many wins there, and Massacre a very moderate winning one .

On 6/17/2023 at 7:33 AM, Double R said:

For me, I will never lose my interest, and in fact, there is no better time to be an owner, as the horse numbers being bred is down, so no trouble in getting starts at the races, stake money has risen, so a little more to potentially cover expenses, and from a personal point of view, sharing with people the excitement of racing a horse.

Great to hear some positive thoughts for a change.  I tend to agree with you Double R.   

On 6/19/2023 at 7:45 PM, Double R said:

Yes Addie.

I will start the ball rolling.

Johnny Gee, Tony Bear.

Stylish Major, Le Chant.

Marius, Black Frost.

Manaroa, Manawaru, Royal Ascot.

King Hal, Dandy Briar.

Arapaho, Vanadium, Speedy Guest.

My first winner was a bracket of sorts.  It was the first division of a division race so was bracketed with a horse in the 2nd division.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lightning Blue said:

Caduceus had won the 1960 Interdominion the year before at Harold Park, in front of a Mammoth 50,000 people

Yeah I think the 1973 Inters had well into the mid 30,000 for the Final. It was really foul weather for most of the series, and they had to postpone one night. And from memory most of the Kiwi contingent coped 8,9,10 draws in there first couple of races , although there may have been handicaps involved. I am pretty sure Manaroa was off 24 yrds. So they did well to get Royal Ascot, Arapaho and Robalan ino the Final. One of my most cherished memory's was that experience.  

14 hours ago, Lightning Blue said:

Doesn't appear to be a start for Massacre in the Nz Cup at all. He was trained by an Apprentice Jockey and Coalminer 😆 named Duncan Campbell to win the Addington Interdominion 1961,  by '1/2 a nostril'  from False Step who everyone thought had won off 48yards (that Rees mentioned) . except the Judge disagreed lol... Doug Watts driving Massacre at huge odds 💰 rank outsider, for the famous victory in front of a massive Addington crowd.

Caduceus had won the 1960 Interdominion the year before at Harold Park, in front of a Mammoth 50,000 people . Extroadinary !!!!!   ( False Step won his 3rd Nz Cup 🏆 in 1960 as well ) so all three horses went off to America and ran well ('Blazing the Trail"   for Cardigan Bay to Follow to USA,  and conquer the world )

False Step won a $50k International invitation and was sold for $115k after. huge money at the time. Caduceus had a long career with many wins there, and Massacre a very moderate winning one .

Thanks LB.

I had it in my head that Devine trained him when he won the Interdominion. Over 60 years ago, so my memory is flagging.

2 hours ago, Double R said:

Thanks LB.

I had it in my head that Devine trained him when he won the Interdominion. Over 60 years ago, so my memory is flagging.

easily done..., i'm sure everyone who is a keen historian , associates Cecil Devine with Massacre for that narrow defeat of False Step all those years ago 🙂 . They all thought Cecil had won. so was sure a momentus magic moment in harness racing time involving the both of them.

(I'll post the photo for some to see with the winner Massacre in the white bridle and Cecil in his famous Black with white stars silks inside him) )

I'm sure your memory and knowledge is better than all us with all your efforts with the Akld harness racing musuem over the years. and the fun you would of had with all those grand items.

Hearty thanks to you mate 🏆,  for those amazing efforts an attempts to preserve the fine harness history. 

DSC02980.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/20/2023 at 7:45 PM, Royal Nod said:

Great to hear some positive thoughts for a change.  I tend to agree with you Double R.   

Fair call Nod. And agree was getting way too negative. So took a break to refresh & how good Grimson is disqualified. All the other trainers in Australasia can dance & sing in their living rooms 😀

Ill do some research & try come up with some other positive things to share 😀 

Go Republican Party for the NZ Cup or Junior Free For All. 

• Haha 1