The Race Place

Harness Racing Trivia . Who am I from the clues?

Lightning Blue

A small bit of trivia in regard to Lucky Creed. He was by the American sire King Creed, who also left a Cup class pacer I followed back in the early 70,s by the name of RAUKA LAD (King Creed-Raukapuka) who went through the grades very quickly along with another one of my favs RAIN AGAIN, who made the Infamous 1971 Inter Final field and was up outside Manaroa with a round to go.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, vanturk said:

Courage under fire?

The mighty Mouse. Away he went with 6 out of 6 as a 2year-old. Then Winning all 16 x 3year-old starts including 6 Derbies !! wow, doubt anyone will do that again? .  beaten in a heat of the Interdominion as a 4year-old

My old mate Grant Dixon here in Qld did a good job last year to win 3 Derbies, with his best horse ever in 'Leap To Fame' who captured the NSW, QLD then Vic Derbies.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dancing Show said:

Been a couple of others with a good win ratio to starts like Christian Cullen and Lyell Creek

The great trotter Lyell Creek might have had 33 wins on the 'trot' . that would of been amazing. And the same as the great Aussie racemare WINX.

except had a relegation to 3rd in Group 1 National Trot the middle somewhere . must have done a dipsy doodle for a few strides I guess.

So for Trivia Part 2 today.

Can anyone name the horse that won that day ? to stop the great Lyell Creek from equalling WInx.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lightning Blue said:

The mighty Mouse. Away he went with 6 out of 6 as a 2year-old. Then Winning all 16 x 3year-old starts including 6 Derbies !! wow, doubt anyone will do that again? .  beaten in a heat of the Interdominion as a 4year-old

My old mate Grant Dixon here in Qld did a good job last year to win 3 Derbies, with his best horse ever in 'Leap To Fame' who captured the NSW, QLD then Vic Derbies.  

To be honest ,as amazing as he was in winning those Derbys it was a pretty poor crop of horses he was racing against apart from Shakamaker and Revenay(not sure of the spelling) and a couple of others who never went on with anything. Obviously Shakamaker was top drawer but the MM bloused him.

38 minutes ago, ngakonui grass said:

Sunny action

Sunny Action with the Big surprise win over Tim Butts great trotter Lyell Creek . .. well done NG.

And GlobeDerby is correct with it Not being the National Trot at Auckland , but rather the NZ Trotting FFA run at Addington in Cup carnival Nov 2000. when Lyell Creek was defeated.

The mare Sunny Action owned and trained by the late Jim Dalgety. passed away just last year aged 88. Young Carter is doing a great job keeping the great harness family name going too. driving lots of winners....

Edited by Lightning Blue
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, vanturk said:

And those were great days watching  the great lyell creek, but also how his owner made the headlines  as well

was wondering what sort of fun the owner had in the headlines , but you must mean this sort of stuff >>>>>>>> too much of the good life lol.

Lyell Creek's major owner Graham Bruton.

Bruton will watch the race live, the first time he has seen Lyell Creek since being caught skipping New Zealand after losing $20,000 in a sports bet placed on credit in January.

Bruton has since repaid his debts and has been living in Thailand.

"It is great to be here and see racing at the Meadowlands but it is a bit different these days because I don't bet," said Bruton.

The Cantabrian has vowed never to bet on horse racing again after gambling away most of Lyell Creek's winnings in the last two years.

Actually , one of the greatest efforts in my tenure watching harness was Lyell Creeks win in the Vic Millenium Mile sitting three wide the whole time. ,. Not bad for a pacing bred trotter. 

Anyone find the video, as it is worth watching. I have tried without success , but I am a bit of a luddite with technology to some degree.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

Actually , one of the greatest efforts in my tenure watching harness was Lyell Creeks win in the Vic Millenium Mile sitting three wide the whole time. ,. Not bad for a pacing bred trotter.

Such a fine trotter the old Lyell creek.

Would of had 10 wins from 10 in Australia during his time for a clean sweep , except he got beat a nose in his very last start in Australia. By a Nz bred trotter too, who raced in Low grades for years named Gold N Gold, bred by a an old friend of mine at Takaninin , the late Doug Hawkins. Can't believe it could ever beat Lyell Creek , but these abnomilies happen occasionally. so 9 out of 10 it was for the Freak Creek.

How on earth did Royden Glen sire a trotter like that.  he was by Smooth Fella. One of the HUGE abnomilies of breeding right there. wouldn't of picked that in a million years.

Edited by Lightning Blue

Great forum  l b. I remember the Hutt park days, and think ing of the horse that I think was racing around there, and then got taken over to oz and ended up being a bloody good 1, just can't remember  his name? Think it was Perth he went to

Edited by vanturk

1 hour ago, Lightning Blue said:

How on earth did Royden Glen sire a trotter like that. 

The only trotting influence was on the distaff side through Tuft who was by Stars Pride. Apart from that zilch, so it was a huge anomaly.  

Tuft produced some good ones. Edis Nova, Framalda, Tussle, Tuteena, Major Hest, Hocquard etc.

Todays Trivia question. In the chat (and great video thanks Maria) about Lyell Creek , showing what a freak of nature he was,  being sired by Royden Glen (so not really bred to trot even) .

Who am I ? One pair of full sisters were racing on the same program often enough. One was in the Open Class Pacing fields , and one was in the Open Class Trot's ! !!  wow  that is quite something. This caused their dam to be named Nz Broodmare of the year . Can you name any of the three mares ?

5 minutes ago, Dancing Show said:

Was it Delightful Lady and Davey's Jill ?   the Broodmare Desilu?

Too good Maria . you quick to pick up the Lady and her sister and mum. Desilu had a sister Desiree actually that was the founding mare of John Butcher's nice horses down your Cambridge way. Not sure if ELSU was part of that family or not, but geeeezz, he was one of the best in the land .  ElsuNZ.jpg.6a78acf086234b223b9637a3a3d59db5.jpg