The Race Place

Harness Racing Trivia . Who am I from the clues?

Lightning Blue

In View to matching the great PJ with his thoroughbred Trivia, and to brighten up the rather struggling Standardbred section it seems.

Let's try and pick the Horse or Person from the Clue (s) given . will add a new clue each day until the answer is found.

CLUE 1 / I ran a time of 1.59 . 2/5th's at Addington. This was quite a feat to achieve at the time . It was a country First.  Who am I ? 

Edited by Lightning Blue
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Trotslover said:

Pretty decent sire line in those days globe derby Johnny globe lordship

There were a Lot of brilliant Globe Derby horses alright. I was just reading how Van Derby nearly broke 2 mins on the Auckland track when it was grass , just before his 3/4 brother Lawn Derby did his stuff at Addington to become the immortal one in the family.

Mr E Tatlow's Globe Derby horse Van Derby, paced a brilliant mile in the world grass track record time of 2.00 2/5 from a flying start at Auckland; but this grand effort took second place to a performance by his elder half-brother, Lawn Derby.

• Thanks 1

2 of the greats of All time 'Cardy' and 'Bret' had a few great clashes in America in the 1960's .That was the the early days of television so not the clash that was broadcast to Nz.

Clue 3 /  A little further on we got to see this bloke strut his stuff . (well just for the one race on TV anyway we saw him ) and he was touted as the best ever finishing with a 39 start career for 37 Wins.

18 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

2 of the greats of All time 'Cardy' and 'Bret' had a few great clashes in America in the 1960's .That was the the early days of television so not the clash that was broadcast to Nz.

Clue 3 /  A little further on we got to see this bloke strut his stuff . (well just for the one race on TV anyway we saw him ) and he was touted as the best ever finishing with a 39 start career for 37 Wins.

Niatross?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lightning Blue said:

2 of the greats of All time 'Cardy' and 'Bret' had a few great clashes in America in the 1960's

First time they met Cardy was going for his tenth straight win and did it easily. Cardy was also barred from betting in the National Pace series as he was so dominant, and costing the bookies a fortune as they guaranteed a $1.10 or $1.20 return. The all-time great IMHO, an absolute warhorse.Peter Wolfenden stated that he was the only horse that he drove that could sprint early on and still sprint at the end. Having an oversized heart probably helped, the same as Young Quinn.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lightning Blue said:

What a star he was . Winning the Meadowlands Pace live on nz free to air TV when it was the world's first Million dollar harness race I think.

And here he is on one of the 2 occasions in his career he did Not win . Fell over the rail in the home straight . Whoops !!niatross-saratoga-640.jpg.05aa7d14dbe7d6703d30bded4589216a.jpg

Im going to retire with  100% record. Thats a first and will be cherished until they put me in the box😃

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Addington said:

Im going to retire with  100% record. Thats a first and will be cherished until they put me in the box😃

Before i go though heres a new quiz for you

In 1982 as a 3yr old and dominant fav in a 3 yr old race at Waikouaiti i swung around at the start and played no part in the race as a 1.70 fav?

Edited by Addington

3 hours ago, Addington said:

Before i go though heres a new quiz for you

In 1982 as a 3yr old and dominant fav in a 3 yr old race at Waikouaiti i swung around at the start and played no part in the race as a 1.70 fav?

No way . don't cut out after one win lol... Popping some good ones on here yourself like this is great.😊

As luck would have it I saw a few nice 3 yearolds in Nz that year , headed by the filly Hilarious Guest who made Open Class. Mai Mai won a few as well .

And I'll go for ENTERPRISE , a brilliant 3year old , but Lordship's were a bit dodgey at the standing start sometimes .

So I'll go Enterprise ??

8 hours ago, Lightning Blue said:

So I'll go Enterprise ??

Correct.

Outstanding except for the day i put the rest of my overdraft on it. Was on my last day at university and the lads all went on a farewell trip to races. Those were the days and some of us just kept driving North to start our careers after last race.

Edited by Addington

There are A few answers for todays Trivia. Addington has put us on the trail of great 3 year olds who made 'Cup Class' open horse as a 3 year old.

Before those 1982 3 year-olds that Addi mentioned in Enterprise and Hilarious Guest and Mai Mai there were NINE that completed that famous feat.

Todays Trivia >>>>  Name ANY of the 9 horses BEFORE those 3 in 1982,  that made it to Cup Class (at least 10 wins) while still a 3 year-old ?. 

there are some good ones in that lot . name 1 , 2 or more ?

3 hours ago, ngakonui grass said:

NOODLUM & LORDSHIP & LOOKAWAY & STANLEY RIO  ?

The great Noodlum is one of the Nine with an impressive 12 wins from 15 starts at 2. and 11 wins from 15 as a 3 year-old to easily qualify for the Cup.

Lordship (just like Noodlum) won the Nz Derby as a three year old but only won 5 races that season . so just missed. did Win the Cup as a 4 year old though.

Stanley Rio also won the Nz Cup as a 4 year old . So yessy indeedy he is one we are looking for. He made Cup class as a 3 year old. Lookaway is a miss.

43 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

I might be wrong, but didn't ARAPAHO make open class as a three yr old.

Won a swag of races as a four year old and the Nz cup and Auckland Cup as a five year old . a real nice horse , but not one of the 9 unfortunately .ArapahoColour.jpg.ba1a6c11f70ae7e4df3c7c8ac5dd9a26.jpg