The Race Place

Steve davis

vanturk

It's a bit like people who criticise jockeys, that have never ridden a horse

Much the same, people who criticise on screen presenters who have no idea the training it takes, and how many are just not suitable because the camera does not like them

And yes I have had some experience of this in a former job, and not with me. 

46 minutes ago, Hesi said:

I don't think many on these chat sites realise what is takes to project in front of a camera.

Jason could probably throw more light on that, with his brother being a presenter.

Lot more than just being knowledgeable about horse racing

There is a lot of prep needing to be done that is for sure as don't want to have silent dead air live. I could never do it. Steve brought some flair to trackside with his "take the Freddy field in the quaddie" and his impromptu pretend trumpet blowing and drumrolls. Think TAB looking for a more professional look to TS now though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hesi said:

Some are reluctant to watch Weigh In 

Yes. I don't watch it but that's because of the dreary content mainly, Guerin or not. Needs a competent guest interviewer to make it a little bit interesting imo and be more future focused rather than a rehash of stuff we already know and have seen. That's a producer issue.

Edited by curious

On 1/10/2023 at 5:02 PM, Dancing Show said:

I'm a fan of both Hesi 🙂 and ....

Whose the other you are fan of??

Anyone in the media is fair game for reaction, criticism or acclaim. Thats part of the job and if they can't handle it then they shouldn't be there. Interestingly a software developer loves criticism because that enables them to fix mistakes. Most people think they are being polite by not saying anything.

7 minutes ago, slam dunk said:

Whose the other you are fan of??

Anyone in the media is fair game for reaction, criticism or acclaim. Thats part of the job and if they can't handle it then they shouldn't be there. Interestingly a software developer loves criticism because that enables them to fix mistakes. Most people think they are being polite by not saying anything.

Hi slam dunk, Hesi was talking about Steve Davis and Michael Guerin, and I said I'm a fan of both.

Not sure about your next paragraph as I've never said anything about media criticism in this thread.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dancing Show said:

Hi slam dunk, Hesi was talking about Steve Davis and Michael Guerin, and I said I'm a fan of both.

Not sure about your next paragraph as I've never said anything about media criticism in this thread.

I suggest a visit to the liquor cabinet might be of help!! 

• Confused 2

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt slam dunk and believe you've confused me with someone else ...  🙂 

For heavens sake. The comment was a quip re being a fan of Hesi. Anyone can see it wasn't meant to be phrased like that. Does anyone have any sense of humour or "just don't understand" or just want to find an excuse to have a "go".

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, slam dunk said:

For heavens sake. The comment was a quip re being a fan of Hesi. Anyone can see it wasn't meant to be phrased like that. Does anyone have any sense of humour or "just don't understand" or just want to find an excuse to have a "go".

Then why didn't you just say that to start with.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maximus said:

correct LOL

As another prime example, the Magic Millions preview show fronted by Bernadette Cooper this week was brilliant.
Informative, entertaining, innovative. 

MM

Agree that often it's better when they are left to speak for themselves and let their natural personalities come through rather than it being so staged.   Unfortunately I think that many of the female presenters on trackside were trained by the same person initially and it seemed they all talked the same way, never had a joke unless it was a controlled one and always had to have a pen in their hand.    Now I've started watching trackside again the past couple of months or so on Saturday afternoons when I'm home as the presenters seem to speak about racing as if they really love it, have a life long knowledge of it, and it comes through.   Similar to Bernadette.

Agree that often it's better when they are left to speak for themselves and let their natural personalities come through rather than it being so staged.   Unfortunately I think that many of the female presenters on trackside were trained by the same person initially and it seemed they all talked the same way, never had a joke unless it was a controlled one and always had to have a pen in their hand.    Now I've started watching trackside again the past couple of months or so on Saturday afternoons when I'm home as the presenters seem to speak about racing as if they really love it, have a life long knowledge of it, and it comes through.   Similar to Bernadette.

I presume those young woman who get trained up to be Trackside presenters, are first and foremost, trained journalists, probably with an interest in sport or racing

1 hour ago, slam dunk said:

If you're going to snip someone's comments at least put in a smiley so that we all know you're having a laugh. Because reading through the thread it wasn't obvious. And because it wasn't, your subsequent posts to DS made you look like a knob. I hope you can see that now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rayzor said:

If you're going to snip someone's comments at least put in a smiley so that we all know you're having a laugh. Because reading through the thread it wasn't obvious. And because it wasn't, your subsequent posts to DS made you look like a knob. I hope you can see that now. 

Rubbish.