The Race Place

M pardon buys a galloper

Honest john

Its been out there for a while that he was going to get into  TB's. More recently i read that he was not buying this year at Karaka but things have obviously changed. He is an outstanding selector of Standardbred yearlings so this will be an interesting exercise to follow.

Edited by Addington
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, far too much said:

the 220k flop the jean the queen purchased that could not make it to a workout

If you didn't know Jean F selects all her own stock. MP just trains.

Never met a trainer yet who didn't buy the odd flop, some buy plenty  if you want to be fair. Pretty sure AS have never been top end yearling sales buyers. Have seen MP's selections and values on one of his owners catalogue and they surprised me.  Have you seen such info?

Edited by Addington

4 hours ago, Addington said:

If you didn't know Jean F selects all her own stock. MP just trains.

Never met a trainer yet who didn't buy the odd flop, some buy plenty  if you want to be fair. Pretty sure AS have never been top end yearling sales buyers. Have seen MP's selections and values on one of his owners catalogue and they surprised me.  Have you seen such info?

ok JJ

• Confused 1

Marky Boy getting a bit too much coin from owning the big chunk of 'Akuta'  (up to about 3/4 million$ earnings now from 18 starts and sure to have a BIG Year this year as well.)

so Mark has started to spent the money on thoroughbreds ? guess the kiwi horsemen and women are quite capable with both.

Graeme Rogerson is a man in both fields of having a training license with harness and gallops .Now 74 and going great guns . 'Sharp N Smart' could go on to be a top liner at the gallops the way he is going lately too. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 5:25 PM, Happy Sunrise said:

Probably changed his mind when he learned of the 10% reduction in stakes.

Ken Breckon was on the radio last weekend. 

He said trotting stakes were going up. 

I didn't know they were "going up." I was thinking the opposite. 

I was of the understanding that stakes were going to be decreasing, but Breckon saying trotting stakes are going up, can only be a good thing. It's great news. 

It's really encouraging to hear a key industry figure making this statement, and such good timing, just before the upcoming sales. 

I think he also mentioned he had plenty of yearlings to go through the sales ring! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/2/2023 at 9:38 AM, Hesi said:

How can he make a statement like that?

Yes. How indeed. 

He has 30+ yearlings in the sales coming up. That's why he said it. 

If my name was Karen, I'd ring up the Broadcast Standards Authority lol He should never have made a false statement like that. 

David Ellis made a similar claim a few years back, when he said stakes were going to double. 

Sometimes people that are put up on pedestals are almost given free rein to say whatever they like, without being immediately questioned on it (when interviewed).