The Race Place

NZTR venue plan

pete

3 things of note for me

1.  On 2 occasions in relation to Waikato and Trentham, the sentence begins, NZTR understands.  Who is driving this venue plan, NZTR or the clubs?

2.  Even though the plan says it allows for sufficient racetracks in each region, to allow for major renovations and reconstructions, it does not elaborate on what/where those might be

3.  I'm not familiar with the SI, but as far as the NI is concerned, the future location of racing in Waikato, Bay of Plenty, Hawkes Bay and Wellington is unknown.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Turny said:

SI racing facing real issues with potential loss of major races to Ellerslie and their sell out crowds as racing so big up there

Up the Ellerslie

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂❤️

2 hours ago, Turny said:

SI racing facing real issues with potential loss of major races to Ellerslie and their sell out crowds as racing so big up there

Up the Ellerslie

Karaka Millions is going from a 1 day to a 2-day carnival next year, they must have dug up Chris Weaver lol.  The second day is looking a bit thin, so they could slot in the 1000 Guineas on the first day and the 2000 Guineas on the second.

Before anyone attacks me, my tongue is firmly planted in my cheek.

Watch this space Hesi, the drums I hear are getting louder and change is almost inevitable, just the way things are and I am being advised it is to coincide with a new horse two day horse sale event

3 hours ago, Turny said:

Watch this space Hesi, the drums I hear are getting louder and change is almost inevitable, just the way things are and I am being advised it is to coincide with a new horse two day horse sale event

Is that the new Guineas sale?

35 minutes ago, curious said:

Is that the new Guineas sale?

Surely these last few posts are a hang over from 1 April. 

If not please post something official regarding the new Guineas sale or any other news release. 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Buller Rep said:

Probably a BETTER bet would be to transfer the NZ Derby back to Riccarton.

At least it can be guaranteed that the track will be RACEABLE on.

Were you not there for Cup Day 22?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Buller Rep said:

The NORTH have been trying to get the Guineas races for years. 

It would destroy the NZ Cup Carnival at Riccarton.

It WONT happen.

It well might.   Unfortunate if so, but hardly surprising.     And the pissed-up crew that turns up on Cup Day wouldn't, in the main, know or care anything about the Guineas.

The NZ Cup, although deemed by many as a handicap for second-raters, is the race the average attendee has in his/her mind.

A new 3 year old series specifically for southern youngsters, generally less forward and mature than their northern counterparts, could take its place....with some innovative thinking.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Freda said:

It well might.   Unfortunate if so, but hardly surprising.     And the pissed-up crew that turns up on Cup Day wouldn't, in the main, know or care anything about the Guineas.

The NZ Cup, although deemed by many as a handicap for second-raters, is the race the average attendee has in his/her mind.

A new 3 year old series specifically for southern youngsters, generally less forward and mature than their northern counterparts, could take its place....with some innovative thinking.

You are probably right about the young ones but not the rest of us.

If you want to isolate yourself [the SI] from the rest of us, that is defeatist thinking and will take you further down the slippery slope.

Whilst it would have been great to win that $350K race restricted to South Island trained horses the other day, what a waste of money half of that stake was.

In other words the racing being worth $175K would have sufficed, with the rest spread elsewhere for all participants, even if it was in the SI.

6 hours ago, Buller Rep said:

Whilst it would have been great to win that $350K race restricted to South Island trained horses the other day, what a waste of money half of that stake was.

In other words the racing being worth $175K would have sufficed, with the rest spread elsewhere for all participants, even if it was in the SI.

Every race in NZ has a stake at least 2-3 times what it should, and the Group level racing is more like 4-5 times what they should be.

4 hours ago, mardigras said:

Every race in NZ has a stake at least 2-3 times what it should, and the Group level racing is more like 4-5 times what they should be.

Mardi, are you saying that race stakes in NZ are more than 2 or 3 times what they should be and Group Racing is 4 to 5 times what they should be?

If so we what is your rationale for saying that?

1 hour ago, Buller Rep said:

Mardi, are you saying that race stakes in NZ are more than 2 or 3 times what they should be and Group Racing is 4 to 5 times what they should be?

That's about what they earn relative to the stakes.

2 hours ago, Buller Rep said:

As curious wrote. That is the level of interest the public is prepared to support the races in NZ.

It is a facade that our races are rewarded with stake levels that have no relationship with public interest or earnings.

I was being generous with those numbers. Actual earnings if properly reported would be likely well below 1/5th of the stakes paid out.

Yep, was at Te Rapa & a discussion came up around the jumps races, great to look at but an economic disaster.

No one bets on them, their return to the coffers would be less than half a standard flat race, which is already a disaster.

No race in NZ should be over $100k, we are a feeder for Aus, start accepting that & manage accordingly.

Posted (edited)

So where does the money/profit from betting get spent if it’s not on stakes?

It does get spent on stakes (or at least distributions to codes) but the net revenue from betting on NZ racing makes up only about 25% of what is required to run the events. The rest now comes from various other sources, betting on other events, pokies, the NZ taxpayer and currently Entain's largesse. That wasn't the case 20 years ago when NZ racing pretty much paid for itself from net wagering revenue. It's been a slippery slope from there.

Edited by curious

Posted (edited)

So where does the money/profit from betting get spent if it’s not on stakes?

As said by Curious/Mardigras.

The idea ( espoused by Bruce Sharrock when speaking to me recently) is that increasing stakes improves turnover and thence revenue seems to be a fantasy shared by many. 

Edited by Freda

2 hours ago, curious said:

It does get spent on stakes (or at least distributions to codes) but the net revenue from betting on NZ racing makes up only about 25% of what is required to run the events. The rest now comes from various other sources, betting on other events, pokies, the NZ taxpayer and currently Entain's largesse. That wasn't the case 20 years ago when NZ racing pretty much paid for itself from net wagering revenue. It's been a slippery slope from there.

Please explain to me how the NZ taxpayer currently contributes anything to the TAB either daily weekly, monthly or yearly.

I admit that the Taxpayer/NZ Government bailed out the TAB incidentally caused by the idiots of their own appointments, John Allen etc.

I would have thought that the TAB and/or Racing Industry was a huge contributor in reverse, Duty, GST, Tax on wages via Stable Staff, Race-day people, Tote staff etc.