The Race Place

Trackside 3???.(including discussion on Coronavirus and how it may affect NZ Racing)

Mardy

11 minutes ago, Midnight Caller said:

She has to swing one way or the other! Which is it to be? 

Boris says....14 day stay at home for the complete  household if any member of the family  has a high temperature or new dry heavy cough! What says Jacinda? I haven't read The Herald online for a while.

So far just the 14 day self isolation for all people arriving, with severe consequences for those that do not

500 people maximum gatherings

Financial stimulus package to be announced soon(today)

8 confirmed cases

Keep your fingers crossed and hope like fuck it can be contained in NZ anyway, with the measures announced

11 hours ago, Midnight Caller said:

So right Maximus regarding  not being land locked and the health system. The biggest worry must be NZ's largest export the tourism industry. This potentially is the greatest thing to put any country under huge financial  and employment pressure for months to come,which would lead to a recession. So does Jacinda play the Italy or Boris card?

From what I can gather there is widespread contempt in the public health system here for the Boris option. Anything that buys NZ time to slow down the spread and flatten the curve should be done. for now we have no new cases in NZ; but its possible that community transmission is already occurring from asymptomatic people. For me, the next two weeks to end March is the key - if our case numbers don't go up alarmingly we may be able to contain it /stamp it out. Apparently, the Taiwanese example is widely admired. 

Article here is very detailed, factual, illustrates what is at stake and how countries who acted too slowly (incl USA) will be unable to manage exponential rates of infection.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

11 hours ago, Midnight Caller said:

So right Maximus regarding  not being land locked and the health system. The biggest worry must be NZ's largest export the tourism industry. This potentially is the greatest thing to put any country under huge financial  and employment pressure for months to come,which would lead to a recession. So does Jacinda play the Italy or Boris card?

From what I can gather there is widespread contempt in the public health system here for the Boris option. Anything that buys NZ time to slow down the spread and flatten the curve should be done. for now we have no new cases in NZ; but its possible that community transmission is already occurring from asymptomatic people. For me, the next two weeks to end March is the key - if our case numbers don't go up alarmingly we may be able to contain it /stamp it out. Apparently, the Taiwanese example is widely admired. 

Article here is very detailed, factual, illustrates what is at stake and how countries who acted too slowly (incl USA) will be unable to manage exponential rates of infection.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

One of the reasons racing may be able to, and needs to, continue more than other sports is that its key revenue driver is not crowds or hospitality but betting turnover.

..and betting turnover generally requires discretionary income. People living in fear of their jobs probably wont be so inclined to speculate  a lazy $10 or $100 or $200 on the punt.

Here's our St Patrick's Day  Joke of the Day ...

the COVID-infected Auckland man shared a communion wine with other people while at church last Sunday... but it's all OK according to Father Murphy (yep, that's his name!) cos they turn the cup each time so people don't drink from the same part of the chalice...

Happy St Patrick's Day !!

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/national/coronavirus-infected-man-shared-chalice-during-auckland-church-service/ar-BB11gRnj?li=BBqdg4K

18 minutes ago, Hesi said:

The problem with racing going ahead behind closed doors, is the public backlash, so there would need to be good communication, not a strength they are known  for

Wouldn't be as big a backlash as the UK Grand National being cancelled completely. Yet the UK has done that.

2 hours ago, Hesi said:

So far just the 14 day self isolation for all people arriving, with severe consequences for those that do not

500 people maximum gatherings

Financial stimulus package to be announced soon(today)

8 confirmed cases

Keep your fingers crossed and hope like fuck it can be contained in NZ anyway, with the measures announced

Thanks for that Hesi. Understand all above,but with positive cases in NZ already, what is the plan for containment and has every single person who has been in contact  with  the positives in the last 5/7 days been tested? 

Sorry Mardy, my last word on this!

We will know soon enough. My concern is the number of people admitted to NZ from overseas flights in the first two weeks of March (ie before 15 March regulatios kicked in). If we see a sharp increase in known cases, we can be sure there are others spreading the virus asymptomatically. I think thats why the public health system is gearing up for more testong kits...however, we are doign better than many countries, incl UK and USA.

I guess we are..so far.  But whether that is due to good practice or sheer dumb luck,  I'm not sure.

One thing interests me,  the premise that those infected who recover will have immunity from then on,  thus creating the 'buffer' of herd immunity.

Was discussing with one vet - ok,  not a doctor  but still not a layperson -  this notion,  we were both a little reserved about that.

The causative agents of the malady broadly termed ' the common cold '  are coronaviruses....and as yet,  no immunity has been found for that nuisance.  Why would one assume, therefore, that immunity is a given in this case?

3 hours ago, Freda said:

The causative agents of the malady broadly termed ' the common cold '  are coronaviruses....and as yet,  no immunity has been found for that nuisance.  Why would one assume, therefore, that immunity is a given in this case?

You wouldn't. Reports are it is unlikely. Know anyone immune from the 'flu?

10 hours ago, curious said:

You wouldn't. Reports are it is unlikely. Know anyone immune from the 'flu?

Well,  sort of.  The annual 'flu jabs that many get rely on an immunity, at least for that 'flu season.  Otherwise they wouldn't work..and they do.

Some British commentators are implying that 'herd immunity'  will eventually protect the wider community,  and I don't think there is any evidence that that will happen.

On 3/17/2020 at 7:57 AM, Midnight Caller said:

Hypothetically thinking! If NZ had already in place two racing complexes (north and south)with training,racing and accommodation in lock down, could they have finally cornered the sports market?:classic_ninja:

What say thee now?

Time to expand and get the RP online card school going!Could be a membership grabber 

Edited by Midnight Caller