The Race Place

Site demeanour

Hesi

Not sure how to put this, but here goes.

There is always going to be rigorous interaction between posters, but we need to be careful that pervasive negativity and personal denigration do not become ingrained, or we become like the other sites, free speech or not.  We might as well pack up and go home then.  I know that if such demeanour does take over the site, then there are many people who will leave, because they enjoy the lighthearted fun  aspect of the site.

And of course, I am not in any way pointing the finger at anyone

Just saying, thanks

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Say No More said:

Yeah good call Hesi - let's keep it all back-slapping and pollyanna-ish.

Not at all concerned with homophobia, misogyny, sexual innuendo ..... (the Benny Hill brigade)?

That is always going to exist, if anyone oversteps mark and people object then it is up to the poster in good faith to withdraw and apologize as I did recently 

I will post a copy of the 10 guiding principles of the Harmful Digital Communications Act when I get home

I know the owner of another sire harps on about this but he is correct in pointing out that there is a report post option if you really object to something.

Unlike that person I do actually read all posts on here (I know, I know it's tragic!) so I can see if anyone oversteps the mark.

The last thing we would want to do is be heavy handed about this but, Hesi's right, we don't want people getting pushed away because discussions degenerate.

My view on all posts on here is that  if you want to disagree with someone please feel free. But keep to the issue and don't play the person. Resorting to personal denigration actually says more about you than the person you're targetting.

As Hesi said, this is not directed at anyone in particular although a post directed at one of the trainers on here this morning came very close to the mark.

• Like 1

Just now, pete said:

It's not about back slapping John. It's about trying to keep things at a reasonably civilised level. We tread a fine line here and we all should recognise that not everyone shares our views on what is an acceptable level of disagreement.

49 minutes ago, VvD said:

Just checking - you're ok to delete posts when some of the banter becomes a little bit heated, but you'll leave it to individuals to withdraw comments that cross the line on sexuality/gender etc?

I'll leave my erudite associate to answer that. This whole area is fraught with problems when you run a site like this. You will (or maybe you won't) appreciate that it's virtually impossible to keep everyone happy.

1 hour ago, VvD said:

Just checking - you're ok to delete posts when some of the banter becomes a little bit heated, but you'll leave it to individuals to withdraw comments that cross the line on sexuality/gender etc?

Think of the big picture Virgil

Come on Virgil, grow a thick skin, I've been cyber extinguished from one site, banned from another site that I basically got going, threatened with legal action every day for a while from one site owner, abused all in good fun as lefty on this site, which I sort of am, all in the name of the big picture in getting a site up and running that people can enjoy without all the other bullshit.

Most of the above also applies to Pete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VvD said:

Easy to say when it's not your posts that have been deleted 😊

I'm sorry but the posts you refer to were just stoking a grudge between you and someone else on here.

As I told you at the time, if you want to pursue this sort of stuff do it privately. This isn't some sort of dick swinging place.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, barryb said:

Certainly isn't when it comes to Hesi, other than by himself.

Hahaha

Sorry Hesi, I know you are trying to be serious here, but geez try not to adopt communist China with cutting intelligent strong debate, encourage the team to play the ball not the man & all should be good.

Love it Baz.