The Race Place

Johnny Nevits late scratching 10-12-21

Rusty

Late scratching of this horse from the Cam Jones stables tonight at Addington. 

The 5 year old gelding was a bit of a market mover in race 2, prior to the order of the Stewards coming through pre-race. 

I certainly hope the horse isn't injured, or in poor health etc. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Late scratching of this horse from the Cam Jones stables tonight at Addington. 

The 5 year old gelding was a bit of a market mover in race 2, prior to the order of the Stewards coming through pre-race. 

I certainly hope the horse isn't injured, or in poor health etc. 

Symptomatic of harness racing that when something like this happens on race night conjecture is very quick to appear. That says something about the state of harness racing whether there is anything here or not.

It is called the 'Noble Mistress effect'

• Like 2

1 hour ago, karrotsishere said:

Oh see you had started a thread on it just here. Not sure which one to post to. I just posted to the other one Bensons Mate. As it all really started from there didn't it, with that WOW performance. 

Yes sorry Karrots, didn't realise, and didn't setout intentionally to hijack your thread. You made very, valid points, all worthy of consideration, and gave some food for thought. Your eagle eye spotted and noted those market moves! 

I have a bad feeling this will blow up unfortunately. Deserving of its own thread. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Oh dear The Press have picked it up, now its going to be regurgitated over & over to the public, which is NOT what Harness racing need. 

The bit they highlighted that Lightning & myself pointed out on Friday is same horse - which is really sad re Animal welfare.

A harness racing horse is suspected of being administered a prohibited substance for the second time in a year.

On another note speaking of articles, read this its a past article about a horse dropping dead William Wallace, while in training & it was a horse that had been with Kerr, for an All Black. (its not related to the Jones case). - Kerr had a really high UDR rate - was a young trainer - horse drops dead after being in his care - they were all mates weren't they - Kerr charged & banned from racing for wrongdoing, but of different nature. 

https://www.odt.co.nz/star-news/star-sport/star-racing/all-black-midfielder-has-tough-time-harness-racing-industry

Edited by karrotsishere
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Oh dear The Press have picked it up, now its going to be regurgitated over & over to the public, which is NOT what Harness racing need. 

The bit they highlighted that Lightning & myself pointed out on Friday is same horse - which is really sad re Animal welfare.

A harness racing horse is suspected of being administered a prohibited substance for the second time in a year.

On another note speaking of articles, read this its a past article about a horse dropping dead William Wallace, while in training & it was a horse that had been with Kerr, for an All Black. (its not related to the Jones case). - Kerr had a really high UDR rate - was a young trainer - horse drops dead after being in his care - they were all mates weren't they - Kerr charged & banned from racing for wrongdoing, but of different nature. 

https://www.odt.co.nz/star-news/star-sport/star-racing/all-black-midfielder-has-tough-time-harness-racing-industry

Kerr was doing the same thing but with fridge gas - his partner owned Noble Mistress trained by the crooked Matt Anderson that was the first cheat that I proved. they just got him on ownership issues - which might still become fraud charges

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Enteebee said:

Kerr was doing the same thing but with fridge gas - his partner owned Noble Mistress trained by the crooked Matt Anderson that was the first cheat that I proved. they just got him on ownership issues - which might still become fraud charges

Yeah heard a rumour he was the Gas Fridge Man, but nothing was ever proven or confirmed regarding that. So Im not saying that he was. 

And yes you are correct they got him on something else. Wonder if he will do jail time for that ...

58 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

The more this gets into the mainstream the better as it will require HRNZ to do something meaningful.

To quote that famous saying " your dreaming jonesy" HRNZ has  been  lame for decades, especially at board level which is where the buck stops. The recent executive team  always  appear to be reactive as opposed to being pro active. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Enteebee said:

Hi Neil,

These days horse welfare is very much the no.1 issue for most people in harness racing, and how it is affecting the moral, and enthusiasm of many people associated with the sport. Hopefully, the issues will be addressed.

Neil and I both know how different racing was 30-40 years ago, when there were lots of owner trainers, and the big stables, could probably be counted on two hands, unlike now, on one. Back then harness racing had the known, but not said, drivers syndicate.  If you put one of the drivers on for the first time, you would invariably know it would not win, and they would be getting the feel of the horse. If they came back and wanted to drive it again, then you knew it was going to be good enough to win another race. The next start contact is made with the last start driver, but he has a drive in the race, but will arrange for another driver. Driven four back on the rails, and stays there, and paying $50 for a win. Back to first driver for the next start, yep, real keen, good draw, short distance mobile race. The race comes along, only paying $20. I might add we are not talking about a maiden race, the horse had won multiple races. Well, the mobile breaks down, so they go to a moving start, and the horse shows brilliant speed to lead, never headed. There is a term in racing, which is quite valid in general terms, in that to win a race you need to have most things falling into in the race, and the saying is "you have to wait your turn". In the "old days" that could be what you actually had to do, if you get what I mean.

Ah, this racing game, it is only for the hardy, or in my case silly.

Cheers.

Robert.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, karrotsishere said:

The horse Jonny Nevits trained by C Jones, is nom-ed for Sunday Rangiora. Strange would of thought would of been withdrawn once an investigation is opened. Perhaps this will happen within next 24 hours. 1 would hope so. Horse needs some R & R. 

Looks like it has been unnominated Karrots, as it is no longer in the nominations.

Edited by Double R
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Double R said:

These days horse welfare is very much the no.1 issue for most people in harness racing,

But not for a select few.

7 hours ago, Double R said:

it is affecting the moral, and enthusiasm of many people associated with the sport.

Anyone who I talk to who knows something about harness racing is sick to death of people like Anderson, Kerr and Alford. These kinds of people just don't get the damage they are doing to racing and seemingly couldn't care less.

But then again, some think nothing is wrong or choose not to see it and try to defend these types.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Double R said:

you have to wait your turn". In the "old days" that could be what you actually had to do, if you get what I mean.

So true Robert. I have seen this play out in my time going to Hutt Park. Standing by the marshalling yard and watching the horses parade and hearing Peter Wolfenden say " who,s turn to win is it ". Bent as a dogs hind leg they were , horses coming over from the Nelson area with five  noughts in their last five  races and winning as raging hot favs. They couldn't lie straight in bed in those days. I remember Cecile Devine had Lord Module and Sunseeker in the same race one night. Sunseeker led with Lord Module trailing. On the last turn lo and behold Sunseeker runs out for no reason  letting Lord Module through and nothing said by the stipes or whoever was in charge of proceedings . Mind you it rained a lot on Trot nights at Hutt Park and rumour had it that because it was on Maori Land they had put a curse on it. ??. Ten bucks used to get one up into the glassed front stand and away from the weather, and Ziggy and I spent some good nights there supping on Marque Vue at 6 bucks a bottle. Some terrible headaches were had .LOL

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Anyone who I talk to who knows something about harness racing is sick to death of people like Anderson, Kerr and Alford. These kinds of people just don't get the damage they are doing to racing and seemingly couldn't care less.

But then again, some think nothing is wrong or choose not to see it and try to defend these types.

Haven't they been caught Out and removed ? or are they back in again or working Incognito ? hope not. (well I know Alford got 7 years anyway fessing up)

Some blokes become worse and bitter once caught out , and it leads to problems with them 'infecting/effecting/affecting' those around them still licensed.

Hunter in Queensland a prime example.

In news today, Greyhounds been given 1 year to clean act up or they will be banished from racing. This Jonny Nevits being involved in this latest thing, is incredibly bad news for Harness being the same horse as Alford injected. 

An animal safety group is again calling for the Government to ban greyhound racing, citing the number of dogs either dying or suffering injuries.

The Government won't do that yet, but the industry only has one year to improve.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2021/12/animal-safety-group-calls-for-government-to-ban-greyhound-racing-over-number-of-dogs-killed-or-injured.html

Edited by karrotsishere