The Race Place

Thursday Trivia

PWJ

38 minutes ago, ngakonui grass said:

Gainsborough lass............Resurgent & admirals luck plus knights romance and pride of kildare

No

Of the two sons - one was unraced due to a cracked cannon bone and the other won one minor maiden. They were nevertheless two of the best pedigreed colts in the world at that time

32 minutes ago, von Smallhaussen said:

They were by Palestine and Ribot 

they sure were. Coeur Volant II began his career in Australia but ended up at Tirau. He left 5 stakeswinners from 230 runners, the best of which was the noted mudder London Trader who won the Winter Cup in an absolute bog at Riccarton. Wanganui Guineas winner Inky's Gold was another handy one by him as was the useful jumper Wata Devil.

Headland II was stood at Jack Macky's Pirongia Stud alongside Le Filou - it would be hard to find two stallions as diametrically opposite in terms of success. Despite the excellent mares of Jack and his clients Headland was an abject failure not managing a single stakeswinner from 100 runners. His least worse performers were mudlarks Ploughman (trained by Marlene Todd to run 2nd in a Parliamentary to Ross Hunter & in a Great Northern Hurdle to Mr Hickey) and Zelenski who ran a shock 2nd in a Queensland Derby. Some may remember Weaving Girl who won a Masterton Cup, probably his best daughter.

Coeur Volant II died in 1974 but what became of Headland II is anyone's guess. he vanishes from the breeding records in 1975. I think I heard a story once that he was a bit of a bad bugger and may have got a bullet for his trouble. Don't quote me on that.

1 hour ago, ngakonui grass said:

A friend of mine had a Headland out of Honour Bound who was not to bad a horse.He told me he paid more than he should have for it.

He named it Upward Bound and from memory he may have won a hurdle or steeplechase but i could be wrong.

Was not a happy owner

would be interested to know the race record of Upward Bound 

14 minutes ago, Maximus said:

would be interested to know the race record of Upward Bound 

From what i've just seen he won 2 races both in 79/80 season  both over jumps

but his record  prior to that not shown.

pretty sure he raced as a 2/3 year old.

Not sure if he was in the same ownership for the jumps wins.

1 hour ago, ngakonui grass said:

From what i've just seen he won 2 races both in 79/80 season  both over jumps

but his record  prior to that not shown.

pretty sure he raced as a 2/3 year old.

Not sure if he was in the same ownership for the jumps wins.

He had 6 starts at 2 and apart from a 5th at Te Rapa was 11th or further back in the others.

At 3 he won twice in 30 starts - a non-tote maiden at Matamata and a win in a hack race at Tauranga

At 4 & 5 he was a non-winner in 30 starts

At 6 he won hurdles at Whangarei & Te Rapa before going to Victoria where he won a steeple at Mornington.

His final 21 starts proved winless

3 hours ago, von Smallhaussen said:

Early guess - Candid Picture?

Nope. Didn't stand in Australia

Clue - this horse left two good fillies, one a Champion and the rest bar one handy male were pretty average

13 hours ago, PWJ said:

He had 6 starts at 2 and apart from a 5th at Te Rapa was 11th or further back in the others.

At 3 he won twice in 30 starts - a non-tote maiden at Matamata and a win in a hack race at Tauranga

At 4 & 5 he was a non-winner in 30 starts

At 6 he won hurdles at Whangarei & Te Rapa before going to Victoria where he won a steeple at Mornington.

His final 21 starts proved winless

who rode him in the win at Mornington?

MM