The Race Place

Thursday Trivia

PWJ

2 hours ago, von Smallhaussen said:

By Rancher from Royal Wagon??

You got it. Quite a story. My daughter Ceilidh rescued a thoroughbred from the knackery. Nobody knew his identity or history. She began re-educating and restoring him to health. After a while she asked me to check the brands. No brands in NZ corresponded so I decided to check the Australian Stud Book and after much searching discovered he was by Arrowfield's first ever stallion the brilliant unbeaten 2YO Champion Rancher and was rather weirdly named Deep Impact. What a coincidence !

Deep Impact, the Aussie one, had anything but a deep impact. 4 starts seemed to see him get slower and slower - racing was not his thing and after a 9th at Dargaville and then a last placing at Avondale his career came to an end. A 3rd at a Pukekohe trial under Opie Bosson was his "highlight".

As VS noted he was nicely-bred. His dam was5 times a winner by the Doomben Stakes winner Todwana and the next dam was by Battle-Waggon. His 5th dam was a half-sister to Hyperion and therefore closely related to Sir Tristram & Star Way.

After rehabilitating him "Harvey" as he was now known was sold on to one of Ceilidh's friends as a hack.

Photos: Harvey pulling a face and then Champion in The Ring at his first public outing at Onewhero.

Harvey.jpg

Harvey2.jpg

• Like 4

Max remembers seeing Rancher win a race for the 2yos at Flemington...was it the Maribrynong Plate or something like that ? I think it was Race 1 on Derby Day that year...late 1970s?? Whatever the year, it was one of Maxi's first forays to The Course of History. If memory serves he was a fab looking chestnut... white feet? PJ will tell me!

MM