The Race Place

The Absurdity of it all

Hesi

2 hours before the Karaka Million 3 year old's go around for 1 mil, the top 2 year old from last season and this seasons 2000 Guineas winner, both G1 winners and highest rated 3 year old's around(other than Legarto) go around for $130K, if they even accept.

As a race, it means nothing in establishing who the top 3 year old is so far.

10 hours ago, Hesi said:

2 hours before the Karaka Million 3 year old's go around for 1 mil, the top 2 year old from last season and this seasons 2000 Guineas winner, both G1 winners and highest rated 3 year old's around(other than Legarto) go around for $130K, if they even accept.

As a race, it means nothing in establishing who the top 3 year old is so far.

Why? Are they eligible  for the karaka  million?

Those 2 races for a mil, are private marketing initiatives, held under the auspices of NZ Racing, by NZB, to entice people to their yearling sale.

That's fine

But racing at that level and age group should be about the best horses competing to find which are the top horses.  As it turns out,  2 hours earlier, we have the equal rated top 3 year old, Pier and the next top rated 3 year old Maven Belle, both G1 winners,not allowed the opportunity.

That in itself is an absurd situation

Add to that, that NZB have hijacked the racing calendar for their own purposes, with Trentham having to change their scheduling so NZB can race on a Saturday

Add further, that the top 5 finishers in the Karaka Million, will unlikely contest the Levin Classic, so once again, an iconic race, that was once one of the benchmarks for early/mid season 3 year olds, gets it in the neck again, all to accommodate NZB.  So in effect a race that all cannot enter, is cannibalising a race that is open to all

• Thanks 1

Are there any KM 3YO eligible horses that have opted to run in the 1200m G3 earlier race rather than the 1600m KM race?    I haven't done a check yet but was wondering if anyone had the up front knowledge to be able to say.    If you don't fancy your chances at the longer distance, and your horse has a bit of speed and you want to rack up a G3 I think it would be logical to have a go at the shorter distance, even if it is against Pier and Maven Belle.

What is absurd is that the Pattern has been disrupted for the glitz of a sales race or races.

The same thing ( in principle ) happened years ago when the Bayer Classic arrived on the scene very close to the Guineas races.  It affected participation as connections weighed up the option of a long trip away ( with the attendant issues of the heat stress on young horses ) against a much less demanding one.

Edited by Freda
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Freda said:

What is absurd is that the Pattern has been disrupted for the glitz of a sales race or races.

The same thing ( in principle ) happened years ago when the Bayer Classic arrived on the scene very close to the Guineas races.  It affected participation as connections weighed up the option of a long trip away ( with the attendant issues of the heat stress on young horses ) against a much less demanding one.

Thanks, I never realised that it impacted on the 2 Guineas races in such a way, when first started.  I can recall it was the other way around later on, when they boosted the stake in the 2000 Guineas to 2 mil and stuffed the Bayer

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ngakonui grass said:

Unless i'm blind i think that there is only 1 horse from outside the Waikato/Auck area in the 1 million dollar races,

Where are the Aus horses.bearing in mind that this concept was sold as a real game changer for Aus participation.

I think it's turning into the opposite, with some of the bigger 2YO, but mostly 3YO races being held in Australia in February and March, I think these races are more of a guide as to which youngsters will make the trip across the ditch from here and also for some if they do well it could be an entry into some of those races.

Having the races now is also more of a marketing and promo for the upcoming Karaka sales too it seems both for the sires and also potential owners.

21 hours ago, Hesi said:

Apologies, missed that one, probably because it has been racing in Aus.  Has a rating well above the rest of 104.  Seems to be taking a different tack to the other 3 year olds

Rogie will be eyeing the Oz autumn carnival riches followed by the Caulfield Cup/Cox Plate/Melbourne Cup in the Spring...'twouldnt surprise Max if he lined the horse up in all three. LOL

As a complete aside I see there are big talks going on now to reorganise the Spring Carnival, and word is the Cox Plate may get moved to late November ..

4 minutes ago, Maximus said:

Rogie will be eyeing the Oz autumn carnival riches followed by the Caulfield Cup/Cox Plate/Melbourne Cup in the Spring...'twouldnt surprise Max if he lined the horse up in all three. LOL

As a complete aside I see there are big talks going on now to reorganise the Spring Carnival, and word is the Cox Plate may get moved to late November ..

Do they have that fella from Ellerslie consulting.  You know the one that stuffed a perfectly good carnival over Boxing Day/New year and gave us '2 carnivals'

Hopefully not.

What disappoints me about this carnival is that there has been no initiative to make the stayers race (Karaka Stayers Cup) worth more than the $120k. All the emphasis is on breeding and owning 2yo and 3yo thoroughbreds for the big bucks on offer at one or two carnivals in NZ and the lure of Oz if they're any good.

Why isnt there an incentive for yearlings that have gone thru the sales ring to race for big bucks as 4,5 and 6 year olds?

Why isnt there a race for big bucks for mares only?

They dont have to be for $1M...

• Like 1

Once again they are trying to fuck Trentham.  They could make it $300K, and that would really piss off Wellington, they seem to be a law unto themselves

Why have a big stayers race the week before the Wellington Cup.  Dionysus was a nom, but never going to accept as he will be in the Wellington Cup.  Piss poor field for that Karaka Cup

• Like 2