The Race Place

Excessive Use of The Whip

Hesi

I note the riders of the Mitigator and the first 3 home in the Cup, all fined and suspended(S Weatherly adjourned), for excessive use of the whip(see below).  So much at stake, do they really care in the heat of battle

(3) A Rider shall not:

(b) strike a horse with a whip in a manner or to an extent which is: [Amended 1 May 2015]

(ii) or excessive

As an owner myself,  losing a race has little appeal for me either....but, other jockey errors have that effect, should that rule be any different?

Personally, I like the UK limit of seven strikes overall ( think that's right )  or even the French one of five overall.

6 minutes ago, Freda said:

As an owner myself,  losing a race has little appeal for me either....but, other jockey errors have that effect, should that rule be any different?

Personally, I like the UK limit of seven strikes overall ( think that's right )  or even the French one of five overall.

But what are the penalties if that is exceeded?

It's a situation that can never work, if half the racing fraternity adhere to the rules and the other half don't, when races are being lost in tight finishes.

19 hours ago, Hesi said:

But what are the penalties if that is exceeded?

It's a situation that can never work, if half the racing fraternity adhere to the rules and the other half don't, when races are being lost in tight finishes.

I think, fines and suspensions,  same as here.      Penalty is the winning % though,  so significant, esp. when a suspension is added.

I believe this issue will come to a head sometime soon.

At some stage there will be a protest and upheld when the win is a slender margin.

I was talking to my trainer who is also a friend and they stated that the new modern whips.....most jockeys don't leave a mark...however there are some who don't over use the whip that can still leave a mark....I am certain that at sometime quite soon they will be outlawed replaced with some sort of guiding device.

Just my opinion,

Cheers.

11 minutes ago, craigos1 said:

I believe this issue will come to a head sometime soon.

At some stage there will be a protest and upheld when the win is a slender margin.

I was talking to my trainer who is also a friend and they stated that the new modern whips.....most jockeys don't leave a mark...however there are some who don't over use the whip that can still leave a mark....I am certain that at sometime quite soon they will be outlawed replaced with some sort of guiding device.

Just my opinion,

Cheers.

Can you clarify what you mean Craig.

You mean a protest from the connections of a horse that was narrowly beaten, by another horse whereby the jockey broke the whip rules??

If that is what you mean, can you even protest on that basis?

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

Can you clarify what you mean Craig.

You mean a protest from the connections of a horse that was narrowly beaten, by another horse whereby the jockey broke the whip rules??

If that is what you mean, can you even protest on that basis?

When the big money is up, it's not beyond the realms of possibility. Always has to be a test case to get the ball rolling , I can see it happening, and it will open up a pandoras box that one.

On 1/20/2020 at 6:29 AM, mardigras said:

Maybe he would have won if the number was a lot less? 🙂

No doubt!🥺

It’s a well known fact most jockeys sing to their mounts especially over 2 miles, it helps the horse relax

When questioned several years later, “didn’t you sing to your mount Bobby”

”Off course I did can’t quite remember what it was, it was some old Devo classic”

• Like 1