The Race Place

WORLD CUP CRICKET

Lightning Blue

4 hours ago, Hesi said:

After last night's power batting display, it is hard to see it being anything other than an India/SA final.  Just a matter of who fills the other 2 semi final spots.

SA scored almost 150 runs in their last 10 overs for the second time, admittedly against a weaker bowling attack.  Can't recall another batsmen who hits the ball as well as Klassen.

oh Hesi-meister you do make Maxi larf.... it was s'posed to be Ireland v France in the Rugby, too, n'est ce pas? 

Mais non, c'est  Les Toutes Noirs et Les Boks de Springey.

Do you think Sud Afrique cannot lose to Les Chapeaux Noirs before their fireworks night at The Gardens of Eden?

MM

5 minutes ago, Maximus said:

oh Hesi-meister you do make Maxi larf.... it was s'posed to be Ireland v France in the Rugby, too, n'est ce pas? 

Mais non, c'est  Les Toutes Noirs et Les Boks de Springey.

Do you think Sud Afrique cannot lose to Les Chapeaux Noirs before their fireworks night at The Gardens of Eden?

MM

No, take the $10 to finish top lol

2 minutes ago, Hesi said:

No, take the $10 to finish top lol

no thanks... SA are formidable as always but they will drop another game somewhere along the way, and they usually choke in knockout stages, so won't make the Final anyway. IMO SA will play either NZ or India in a semi - and lose.

MM

That was exciting during the night while you guys were sleeping .

Glenn 'THE BIG SHOW' Maxwell with a World Record for World Cup fastest century in just 40 deliveries . Glad I stayed up for that one as was doing Reverse sweep sixes and All sorts of chaotic stuff. was quite a sight. I'm even going to name my next horse The Big Show after that performance. 😁

That was an awesome Show of Fast wrist action batting that is the most amazing i've ever seen in a lifetime watching/playing cricket (as opposed to Power Hitting) 

Bring on the Weekend BIG Clash with Aus v NZ . can't wait !! 

Sleepy New Zealand probably missed the match while enjoying the Imperatriz Win and chewing their nails for the Rugby. 

Anyway was the best match of 'All Time' nearly , with both teams going hammer and tongs for what must of been total runs scored World Cup record possibly. 

Is excellent as both teams getting MASSIVE confidence boost as they get Deeper into tournament and Must be a Chance now .. (2015 Final re-match would be outstanding)

David Warner getting past Ponting with most World Cup centuries and must be thinking Afghanistan next up a likely hat-trick on the cards (of centuries)

India absolutely Mugged the World Cup holders Poms last night . Whatta tragedy !!! (not) 😁    com'on Baggies and Black-caps !! 🇦🇺🇳🇿🏏🏏🏏🏆

• Like 1

Can't believe how poorly the Poms are playing throughout this tournament. Surely they can restore a little pride by beating someone...anyone.... hey, how about doing it against the Ozzies? LOL.

Mind you, if they bowled AweStruckNFailure out for 130 they'd be all out for 60 themselves in reply. LOL

MM

Pathetic performance by the Black Collapse overnight v Sud Afrique, a very formidable side in their current form.

Injury to Matt Henry is going to cause problems for the remainder of the tournament.

Can someone explain to me how/why Tim Southee gets to bat ahead of Jimmy Neesham?

We'll need to win one of our last two matches (v Pak, v Sri Lanka) to make the semis. Odds are in our favour, but the way we played last night is concerning.

MM

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

Should have taken SA at $10 to finish top of the group.  Effectively going to be a straight shootout India vs SA, SA win and they are top on net run rate.

Black Caps, impossible for them to win this WC, not in the same class as SA and India

Corse they can win it mate. nothings impossible (until you're eliminated that is) They nearly won the last one against the Poms on their home deck at Lords . beaten a whisker in an unfair decision. and were runner up 4 years prior to that too. 

A lot of pundits here and there ,  were saying All-Blacks couldn't win in France either. But they went oh so close (stupid send-off thing probably denied them) 

So don't give up hope mate .. Black-caps and Baggie Greens were smacking the runs out last week-end .🏏🍻

and South Africa Afrikaneeers  haven't even made it into a World Cup Final yet in 13 World Cups to date ... . choker smokers 😁

Edited by Lightning Blue
  • Like 1

On 11/2/2023 at 9:14 PM, Hesi said:

India have the most complete ODI side I can recall, SA have the most powerful batting side, it is frightening.  Only your blokes could spoil the party.

The Black Caps, just like the AB's, simply not good enough.....unfortunately

Hesi-meister, a real Black Collapse fan like Max lives in hope. The main thing is to secure a spot in the semis. Then it's ALL ON!

As LB rightly observes, S AF choke in knockout games and so do India. If that were not the case either of them would've made the final in 2015 and/or 2019.

MM

Ps Note to Stead" play Ish and Chapman , drop Southee and Latham (Conway w/k). If Williamson is fit, drop Young.

MM

Black Caps were stiffed again. They Scored a massive 400 runs and then beaten by Duckworth and Lewis   (otherwise known as Ducks-are-worthless and BOO Hiss)

Pakistan handed the lucky wet weather lucky win.

In Way better news the Baggie Greens have smacked the Poms overnight , even while resting Mitch Marsh and the BIG SHOW Maxwell for another day. England securing last place behind the Netherlands . they'll be popular back in England 😁 .  maybe West Indies can replace them next World Cup ? 😆

No they weren't.

They were saved the ignominy of having a record score chased down.

Pakistan were 200/1 after 25.3 overs, well ahead of the Black Caps at that stage, and with 9 wickets in hand.  You can usually double the score at 30 overs if there are plenty of wickets in hand, so potentially Pakistan would have reached 400 with 5 overs to spare.

The weather was not the problem, it was the Black Caps poor bowling

So let's have thoughts pre-match India vs SA tonight

The match can progress 2 ways and that depends on who bats first

India bat first, it will be a huge total, and the power of the SA batting line up will then struggle with the pressure and 'perfect' Indian bowling attack and home advantage at Eden Gardens.  I was actually born in Calcutta(Kolcatta), and no I'm not an Indian lol

SA bat first, they will struggle with their batting machine to post a good total, which India with their almost as good line up will surpass relatively easily.

I hope I'm wrong as i have $200 on SA at $10 to finish top of the groupings

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

India bat first, it will be a huge total, and the power of the SA batting line up will then struggle with the pressure and 'perfect' Indian bowling attack and home advantage at Eden Gardens.  I was actually born in Calcutta(Kolcatta), and no I'm not an Indian lol

SA bat first, they will struggle with their batting machine to post a good total, which India with their almost as good line up will surpass relatively easily.

Agree with you, I think India will win this one pretty easily.

18 hours ago, Hesi said:

The writing was on the wall when Shamsi was getting the ball to turn so much for SA.  Jadeja is almost unplayable on a pitch like that, and so it turned out.

All comes down to the NZ/Sri Lanka and Pakistan/England matches as to whether NZ or Pakistan qualify 4th.  Both with the daunting, some would say impossible task of playing India at Mumbai

THE BIG SHOW. now the Biggest SHOW ever seen in World Cup cricket. Glenn Maxwell the hero of a nation.

Takes the Aussies from 91-7 to a record run chase while scoring  201 Not out .  and that Qualified Aus for the Semi too !! fantastic.

But get this , he had to turn down runs quite often as he cramped up so bad he couldn't move his feet or run . Was just anchored in pain on the crease.

Loved Ian Smith , the old kiwi doing the commentary . he is so good 🏆 . makes it exciting and funny and entertaining all the more.

time for a sleep after that . Was like a unbelievable dream as just seen nearly the most amazing Innings ever, and at World Cup level , and on one (or No ) legs.

Take a bow 'BIG SHow Maxi' .... the Greatest Show on Earth for a day 🏏🍾🦘🏏🏆🏏🍻🏏

• Like 1

Nothing short of astounding LB.  I watched Afghanistan clock up 291 runs and thought an upset was on, and would have turned it off with Aus 4 or 5 down and still 250 needed.  Seems to be a lot of one-off superb performances by one member of the team in each match in terms of batting, so an unusual WC.

Must be concern though, that Afghanistan could score almost 300 against such a strong bowling attack, Aussie's best attack

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hesi said:

Nothing short of astounding LB.  I watched Afghanistan clock up 291 runs and thought an upset was on, and would have turned it off with Aus 4 or 5 down and still 250 needed.  Seems to be a lot of one-off superb performances by one member of the team in each match in terms of batting, so an unusual WC.

Must be concern though, that Afghanistan could score almost 300 against such a strong bowling attack, Aussie's best attack

was the most amazing thing i've ever seen in a life-time of enjoying and playingcricket .

I was yelling at the tele for the physio to give him some 'pickle juice' or similar for the cramping. like they do for the footy players these days. 

The poor bloke was facing World Cup bowling , and thrashing around on the ground between overs like in electric shock . the fricken Physio didn't even stretch him out properly or anything. was just running on and off field each over without helping much at all ...thought the BIG Show was going off on stretcher for a minute .

Then he Kicked again 😳  !totally astonishing ... would love to post kiwi Ian Smith here with the commentary (some of his best work ever) even had the usually gibbering Ricky Ponting quiet in disbelief at what was happening nearly...  can't see highlights as its copyright makes it hard to find any highlight package anywhere able to view ?

not often Maxi has to say thanks to a bleedin' Ozzie cricketer..but big ups to the Big Show  ...almost as good as Guppy's 237no v W Indies...but still not the best thing Max has seen in clickit..that was Astle's double ton in a Test at ChooChoo

So hats off from Maxi to Maxi, makes it a touch easier for the Black Caps/Craps/ Collapse to make the Top 4.

Chances of the rain fallin down in Bengaluru are good, so here's hoping we win the toss, insert them and bowl em out for 120 in 25 overs, smack the runs in a canter and we're home for curry by teatime

MM

• Haha 1

OK so it took our Black Chaps 46 overs, prob shoulda taken only 30.. but hallelujah, the rain stayed away. We're in the semis and will have a crack at India.
A chance, however unlikely, to spoil their party next Wednesday night. Ravindra once again very impressive, as was Conway and Mitchell; apart from Latham behind the stumps the lads did very well. Is it possible they'd drop Latham for the semi? I would and replace him with Neesham, Conway to keep. We need as many allrounders in form as we can get; Neesham is our most likely big finisher with the bat in the last 5 overs and is a decent 'death' bowler. Mebbe they''ll drop Chapman instead, though he's done nothing wrong. Southee, Ferguson and Boult wont contribute many with the bat so we need someone at #8 who can do real damage.

Lots of runs likely to be scored at Wankhede, if previous results are anything to go by.

Maxi's 11 (bowlers in italics), on the assumption the wicket isnt a spinner's paradise so no Sodhi.

Conway (w/k), Ravindra, Williamson (c), Mitchell, Chapman, Phillips, Neesham, Santner, Southee, Ferguson, Boult

MM