The Race Place

Lucky Seven Round 14 - Wed Jan 3

PWJ

I once owned a mare - first mare I ever owned - that scored her only win at Hokitika (pre my ownership) and they ran 2.00 on a heavy bog (1983 from memory) for 1600m !  On the way home the owner-trainer was towing her in a one horse float over Arthurs Pass and came flying down a hill towards a one-lane bridge only to see a truck coming the other way. Rather than take on the truck head on, he swerved through the barrier just before the bridge and ended up trailer and all dropping into a deep, narrow 15m ravine. Amazingly the horse and trainer survived although the float and car were written off.

I remember another race at Hokitika in the days before an outside rail. Some unwilling maiden ran off in the back straight and disappeared into the bush. I believe it was days before it returned to human civilization !

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hesi said:

I suppose it would be expecting too much to think in those days that the car had brakes, or the horse float

Hey, I only know the story second-hand and I Do know its true but I can tell you my only car accident which was my fault was caused by being unable to stop as the trailer I was towing was loaded with a car, and I was only going 40 kmh downhill - I was in a Landcruiser - and the bloody thing just could not be stopped. I bumped into a Merc rather softly which required a new paint job on its bumper so no great calamity.

• Like 1

CHRISTMAS - NEW YEAR CUP DRAW

brackets read (points-comp position)

PJ (8-17th) v Tassie Tiger (10-16th)

Rex (6-24th) v Ngakonui Grass (12-6th)

Geoff (6-25th) v Smiler (8-18th)

Midnight Caller (4-28th) v Gary (4-30th)

Howie (10-15th) v Gee (10-10th)

Rob (2-33rd) v Anita (6-23rd)

Maurice (10-13th) v Gordy (14-1st)

Graeme (12-9th) v Max (4-27th)

Secret Squirrel (8-20th) v Maria (10-12th)

Our Maizcay (12-5th) v Ziggy (6-21st)

Hesi (12-3rd) v Pete (14-2nd)

Black Caviar (12-8th) v Stevie N (12-7th)

Lightning Blue (12-4th) v Punter Pete (8-19th)

Rees (6-22nd) v Jamison (10-14th)

Ian (10-11th) v break even of $552

• PWJ unpinned this topic