The Race Place

Avondale Cup

mardigras

Am I missing something? I read this.

"Avondale Cup?   Is the trainer a complete retard?   There are lots of maidens rated higher than this horse and it should not even be allowed in the race where it could endanger other horses and riders."  

Is this horse incapable of running straight? 

3 minutes ago, mardigras said:

Am I missing something? I read this.

"Avondale Cup?   Is the trainer a complete retard?   There are lots of maidens rated higher than this horse and it should not even be allowed in the race where it could endanger other horses and riders."  

Is this horse incapable of running straight? 

often slow away or placed awkwardly in race. Perhaps needs blinkers?

1 minute ago, mardigras said:

I guess I'm interesting in understanding why it would be a danger to other horses in this race, but not in other races?

quite right with your thinking. It seems that whoever wrote that deems it OK to interfere or possibly cause injury to 'lesser horses' but a group race is more sacrosanct. "All animals are equal but some are more equal than others". I'm sure owners would think otherwise. I think the writer is probably making an assley of themselves. 

I think the writer is expressing his disgust that the horse is, seemingly, of little talent, and is being asked to step up [ yet again ] in a race that it apparently has no chance whatsoever in.

The 'safety' aspect is the strong likelihood that the animal will stop so quickly that it will cart others back through the field and may cause interference in so doing.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Freda said:

I think the writer is expressing his disgust that the horse is, seemingly, of little talent, and is being asked to step up [ yet again ] in a race that it apparently has no chance whatsoever in.

The 'safety' aspect is the strong likelihood that the animal will stop so quickly that it will cart others back through the field and may cause interference in so doing.

I don't think the horse is that slow. Ran pretty decent over 2400m at Pukekohe a few starts back. I don't expect they will run too quick for him even if highly unlikely to win. I've rated horses with less chance. Wouldn't he stop quickly in a rating 72? 

If he's that bad, the writer could just simply put up every cent they have on betfair that the horse won't win. 0.4% interest for 3 minutes work.

Edited by mardigras
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, pete said:

Also finished 0.7 lengths behind the horse that was 2nd in the Wellington Cup.

I have no idea what that tells us about the Wellington Cup.

He certainly didn't stop. He was as close to the leader at the finish line as he was at the 1000m. Was just pretty much one-paced.

One race doesn't tell you much, but the horse has won races so has some ability. Not necessarily up to the level but I don't think the horse is a general danger to others from watching that run. If it meets the terms/conditions of the race, I'm not sure why they would want to prevent it from running.

If you listen to some on the other site, a few years back they would have only had a field of 3 in the karaka million 2yo race. That's how many horses one of them stated had any chance so therefore why allow the rest to start if they're that uncompetitive/out of form.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mardigras said:

He certainly didn't stop. He was as close to the leader at the finish line as he was at the 1000m. Was just pretty much one-paced.

One race doesn't tell you much, but the horse has won races so has some ability. Not necessarily up to the level but I don't think the horse is a general danger to others from watching that run. If it meets the terms/conditions of the race, I'm not sure why they would want to prevent it from running.

If you listen to some on the other site, a few years back they would have only had a field of 3 in the karaka million 2yo race. That's how many horses one of them stated had any chance so therefore why allow the rest to start if they're that uncompetitive/out of form.

One could find a parallel in the Jewels for Harness age group. A great no of them have absolutely no hope and do get in the way as we have experienced.  But who am I to take away the experience of having a horse run in such a prestigious race ,and being on course to see the sparkle in the eyes of owners hoping for a miracle is heart warming. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

One could find a parallel in the Jewels for Harness age group. A great no of them have absolutely no hope and do get in the way as we have experienced.  But who am I to take away the experience of having a horse run in such a prestigious race ,and being on course to see the sparkle in the eyes of owners hoping for a miracle is heart warming. 

True, but happens in most races and on the day, many horses just get in the way. This one didn't as we was last/second last nearly all the way.

6 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Isn't  the issue,why do the rules and conditions  of the race,  allow  a R57 horse to be nominated 

Why shouldn't they? He's not preventing any higher rated horses from starting.  I note that he ran as good or better last 600 than almost half the field. If there's an issue for me it's why are there no opportunities here for maiden stayers in their own class?

Edited by curious
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, curious said:

Why shouldn't they? He's not preventing any higher rated horses from starting.  I note that he ran as good or better last 600 than almost half the field. If there's an issue for me it's why are there no opportunities here for maiden stayers in their own class?

Yes,  little opportunity for stayers of any grade.....and why do we get sucked into the notion that 1800 - 2000m constitutes a 'staying' 'test ?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Freda said:

Yes,  little opportunity for stayers of any grade.....and why do we get sucked into the notion that 1800 - 2000m constitutes a 'staying' 'test ?

Good point. I've often heard people say that here. Horses like this that are probably blessed with a  higer percentage of slow twitch muscle fibres than their sprinter miler colleagues but still love to race as he appears to and tried right to the line with no more than a few slaps on the neck would be an asset and create some interesting wagering events which we surely need. At the moment they are sports horses or dog tucker. Shame.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/14/2020 at 5:52 PM, mardigras said:

Didn't appear to be that poor a horse. Ran 4th beaten 3.1L in a R65.

Gee - this horse is a supposed danger because it's so slow. What do we do with the 8 horses it beat after finishing second beaten a neck today. Throw them all out?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, mardigras said:

Gee - this horse is a supposed danger because it's so slow. What do we do with the 8 horses it beat after finishing second beaten a neck today. Throw them all out?

Probably have to throw out the winner too. It's almost as slow, so only slightly less dangerous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1