The Race Place

Thoroughbred Breeders' Stakes

pete

The 30 March Raceday, incorporating the G1 NZ Thoroughbred Breeders’ Stakes, will now be held by Auckland Thoroughbred Racing at Ellerslie, and not at Te Aroha. After an inspection of the Te Aroha track last Friday it was evident that the current issues with the Te Aroha track will not be remedied in time to hold this important raceday.

• pete changed the title to Thoroughbred Breeders' Stakes
On 3/12/2024 at 7:29 AM, pete said:

The 30 March Raceday, incorporating the G1 NZ Thoroughbred Breeders’ Stakes, will now be held by Auckland Thoroughbred Racing at Ellerslie, and not at Te Aroha. After an inspection of the Te Aroha track last Friday it was evident that the current issues with the Te Aroha track will not be remedied in time to hold this important raceday.

Grass grub they tell me. 
That’s a new one to add to the long list of track stuff up’s, close downs etc. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Turny said:

Feck me just goes from bad to worse

Are there any tracks in the country that are good enough to stage Group racing?

what a bloody fiasco

I agree. Can't they get a truckload of Neem granules in there if they want to be eco friendly at the same time? I can even keep the little buggers out of my lawn and I'm no green thumb.

• Like 1

Reading up about it, grass grubs, the larval form which do all the damage, last from March until June, so if they are talking about the ongoing issues not being able to be resolved, it can't be grass grubs

14 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Reading up about it, grass grubs, the larval form which do all the damage, last from March until June, so if they are talking about the ongoing issues not being able to be resolved, it can't be grass grubs

It'll be the issues they have caused since spring which will likely be patchy dead spots. Also, because they then burrow down and rehatch in the spring they are hard to kill at this time of year.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Hesi said:

So you are saying they have been there for more than a season and not been able to be exterminated

I'm no expert but they should have been able to kill them between spring and now and they would have been evident in any core samples. My dad lived in fear of them as a farmer. Pretty sure there's also a long acting bacterial treatment too. If true, it's totally lax.

Edited by curious

Yes the whole issue of reporting, follow up and accountability has been not up to scratch.  I don't think we will ever know the truth behind the Ellerslie problems.

I guess this is why Cameron George  'left', and Bruce Sharrock must be teetering.  With all the money pouring in from Entain, this is now without doubt the number one issue in NZ racing, that as many have so eloquently put, affecting punter confidence.

Not sure what the hell went on at Trentham, but you don't run 1.08.54 over 1200m on a S7 track

I guess also, resolution one way or the other about Avondale, or at least some clarification of what is happening

• Thanks 1

To turn it back to racing.

The old Racing Board a la, Bayliss, Allen and Brown was a lot worse than NZTR with regards to excess spending, no accountability and poor processes.  You can also throw in what we are seeing with the Govt departments, with the cultural hoochy coochy.  The RB under Bayliss even had a head of Culture.

The thing with these slow moving bureaucracies, they go to great lengths to resist any change or attempt to make them more efficient and productive.  We saw with the RB, the only way in the end, was revolution, with Entain taking over

• Thanks 1

Between a few of us on here we could solve most of the problems in no time, if given the chance, but you and I know, they don't like practical people with common sense.

I remember an old boss describing a Sales Rep from our competition 40 years ago. To me as a youngster, he looked pretty good. His response was; Don't worry about him, he's from the Silk Tie, Pearl Pin brigade.  In other words, he cuts a good picture but needs to dress up and say all the right things to impress, but in actual fact, is next to useless.

Bayliss, Brown and Allen all fit that picture, if I am not mistaken.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Buller Rep said:

The majority of the races on Easter Saturday are only 40k each. It might be a Te Aroha day but it is at Ellerslie and it is Easter Saturday. 
Poor programming by “the powers that be” in my opinion. 

Although to be fair, Entain wouldn't be making anywhere near $40k profit generally from each race run at Ellerslie - or any other NZ race meeting. Yet for some reason, the expectation is that all these races need to be subsidised massively from other revenue.

Maybe the restaurants at the viaduct should receive a $10k per night 'allowance' because of their location, from all the other restaurant income.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Buller Rep said:

The majority of the races on Easter Saturday are only 40k each. It might be a Te Aroha day but it is at Ellerslie and it is Easter Saturday. 

Programming for Easter racing has always been an issue, because Easter Sunday can fall anytime from March 22 to April 25.  Some say the Easter Handicap should be on Easter Saturday, but easier said than done, and NZ racing is not known for its programming capability

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Programming for Easter racing has always been an issue, because Easter Sunday can fall anytime from March 22 to April 25.  Some say the Easter Handicap should be on Easter Saturday, but easier said than done, and NZ racing is not known for its programming capability

They actually used to manage to run the Easter Handicap on Easter Saturday until they dicked around with everything by creating an Auckland Cup carnival early March.

• Like 2

I recall many years ago a poster on Racecafe called Chevy86, commented about Chris Weaver who was the culprit behind the twin carnival change and how it was going to revolutionise racing, saying, that he had stuffed Ellerslie, and was now selling mung beans and quinoa for his wife, who is of course Libby Weaver, who generally talks garbage about supplements she is trying to peddle.

• Like 1

And here was the post back in 2014.  Memory still good lol

chevy86

• Members
  • 2,451 posts
  • LocationDetroit
  On 9/18/2014 at 9:45 AM, hesi said:

They say it is all about lisencing, but it's more about making a good profit off the grog they sell.

I recall Chris Weaver at Ellerslie, posting on here that only 15% of their profit comes from their take from oncourse gambling.

So it's all about economics

And what a failure that Weaver was--wrecked the calendar, stopped the in-field party and has moved on up to peddling mung-beans and quinoa for his missus.

• Haha 1

On 3/26/2024 at 9:50 PM, Buller Rep said:

be grateful BR, three years ago they'd have been $15k

MM

3 hours ago, slam dunk said:

On the sub subject of racecafe postings whatever has happened to the bunch of posters there viz. the mayoral candidate as well as his postings (abuses)?

Gone thank god and the site is 500% better for it.