The Race Place

Rugby

pete

wel you didnt miss much tonight Craigo...the worst performance from an All Blacks team in many moons. Didn't deserve to win, but they say an ugly win is better than an entertaining loss. Max was so flocked off by the error-riddled crap and the pedantic shite of a ref that he, Max, started folding the laundry and tidying the garage with 10 minutes to play. It was APPALLING (the rugby, not the garage). Now we have to listen to endless analysis that will no doubt involve gracious accolades about how well the Boks played. Grrr.

MM

Edited by Maximus
  • Like 1

I used to follow the Lions tours around in NZ, lots of provincial games at provincial towns, great.  That 71 Lions team was awesome, Andy Irvine, David Duckham, JPR Williams etc etc

I hardly bother watching rugby these days, not sure why, perhaps it is after they went professional.

Went to Massey Uni, never missed a Manawatu game, Hugo Blair, Doug Rollerson, George Hawkins Alan Innes etc

Can probably name 5 in the All Blacks these days.  I like Beauden Barrett though, hasn't he been mucked around, from being World player of the year 2 years in a row I think.

Now if you wanted to see a great game this evening, then Panthers vs Storm was the place to be

3 minutes ago, Gordy said:

Hopefully this is the All Blacks one poor game of the season.

I don’t have sky sports now, so will wait for the highlights to come up on YouTube.

you'll only need to allocate 3 or 4 minutes of your life for the highlights Gordy, unless you like seeing knock-ons, forward passes, poor lineout throws, endless Springbok kicks from the base of the scrum, and a dumb-ass ref who thinks the game is about him.

1 minute ago, Hesi said:

I used to follow the Lions tours around in NZ, lots of provincial games at provincial towns, great.  That 71 Lions team was awesome, Andy Irvine, David Duckham, JPR Williams etc etc

I hardly bother watching rugby these days, not sure why, perhaps it is after they went professional.

Went to Massey Uni, never missed a Manawatu game, Hugo Blair, Doug Rollerson, George Hawkins Alan Innes etc

Can probably name 5 in the All Blacks these days.  I like Beauden Barrett though, hasn't he been mucked around, from being World player of the year 2 years in a row I think.

Now if you wanted to see a great game this evening, then Panthers vs Storm was the place to be

Max saw the Lions v Wai-Bush game in '71 in Masterton, QE2 Park. Duckham was blisteringly fast and elusive.

Edited by Maximus

3 minutes ago, Hesi said:

I agree Alan ..... What a game , I gave Penrith no chance but they were awesome.

In the 70's my favourite player for Manawatu was Mark Donaldson.

I remember my first year at high school 1969, the year Wales toured NZ. They had a training session at Waitemata park and the School let their rugby players go and watch. I managed to get Barry John’s autograph. My dad took me to Eden park for the test and of course saw Fergie kick 24 points which was a record.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, craigos1 said:

I agree Alan ..... What a game , I gave Penrith no chance but they were awesome.

In the 70's my favourite player for Manawatu was Mark Donaldson.

He was a stroppy bastard, from the Te Kawau club.  Manawatu used to have good teams in those days, because the Massey University club used to provide so many classy players.  You might recall that very good stand off Bob Burgess

• Like 1

Just now, Gordy said:

I remember my first year at high school 1969, the year Wales toured NZ. They had a training session at Waitemata park and the School let their rugby players go and watch. I managed to get Barry John’s autograph. My dad took me to Eden park for the test and of course saw Fergie kick 24 points which was a record.

and if i remember rightly, the mud was velly deep!

On 9/25/2021 at 9:23 PM, Maximus said:

you'll only need to allocate 3 or 4 minutes of your life for the highlights Gordy, unless you like seeing knock-ons, forward passes, poor lineout throws, endless Springbok kicks from the base of the scrum, and a dumb-ass ref who thinks the game is about him.

spot on there Gluteus - especially about that ref! - you missed the purple undies though 

• Like 1

Amazingly Googled Massey Uni and this pic came up

Rollerson, Blair and Innes are all bottom right.  Hawkins would have left by then.  Of interest to racing people, top middle is Carey Hobbs, who has run Taranaki racing for a while, also another from Taranaki, who a few might know, is Terry Sole, bottom, second from left

uni.jfif