The Race Place

NZ CUP - Road to the Cup

Happy Sunrise

If you don't mind Karrots, I will start it for you.

I can't remember the last time this occurred but it appears there is a race to just get in the field. Triple Eight is not coming I believe (?) Amazing Dream and Burnham Boy likewise. Anyone know anything about Need You Now but appears to not be a contender. So Kango, Steel the Show, Matt Damon and Cranbourne (after his win today) will get in?

Best performances of the weekend away from the winners go to Kango and Bad to the Bone. The Ashburton Flying Stakes will be worth a watch and the Kaikoura Cup at Addington is going to be the real NZ Cup trial so will be fascinating.

While the 2 big guns of SCA and SA appear above the others it seems to me they won't have it their own way in a standing start in a big competitive field. Could be the year of the upset.

image.png.c80a36ad3caf4c99e1b6d13e0f6ffcaa.png

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

While the 2 big guns of SCA and SA appear above the others it seems to me they won't have it their own way in a standing start in a big competitive field. Could be the year of the upset.

image.png.c80a36ad3caf4c99e1b6d13e0f6ffcaa.png

You could be right Happy, and it may be the year of the upset, but here is my first four guess;

1st: Self Assured

2nd: South Coast Arden

3rd: Copy That

4th: Daylight

Those three should honestly gap the rest, even if they were a bit slow away (and I'm assuming Amazing Dream is staying put in Australia).

To me there is very little depth there. 

I do have this awful feeling in my waters, that there will be a horse (or 5) that shouldn't really be there, and they will bugger it up for a more favoured runner. It's due to happen again in a Cup. 

It won't happen in my lifetime, but I do really wish that they had only the best of the best start in the Cup, and not just have the also rans entered to make up the numbers to 15. 

To be fair however, I guess if you owned a horse, and it was the 15th best horse to qualify, or gain an entry to start in the big race, then who am I to dash one's lifelong dream to have a runner in it. Just my opinion anyway. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Rusty said:

To be fair however, I guess if you owned a horse, and it was the 15th best horse to qualify, or gain an entry to start in the big race, then who am I to dash one's lifelong dream to have a runner in it. Just my opinion anyway. 

Same happens in the Jewels. Most are there to make up numbers, and the odd upset does happen, but same sentiment . The buzz to have a horse running in it is a Harness owners dream regardless of the result. I think of the owners of little Borana in 1985, dreams can come to fruition. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rusty said:

With the handicaps removed from the Cup allowing Monkey King and Lazarus and Terror to love to win more than one over past 10 -11 years , can't see how they can beat this horse ''Self Assured' Off the Front mark, again. If had 10m behind handicap, would of made it interesting.

Self Assured blazing to victory in 3.55 by some lengths last Cup last year . Only a very few can ever go that fast. ......Adore Me , The Fixer and Lazarus did in past few years.

No-one else can go sub 3.55 to beat him this year? , that is well  'Lazarus-like' speed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

can't see how they can beat this horse ''Self Assured' Off

He will be made to 'stand' this year. Give him a bad draw and he is no good thing. He swerved in badly in the Canterbury Classie, if he does that with a second row behind him he will get cleaned up.

Last year's debacle will not be allowed to happen again.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 8:36 PM, Rusty said:

You could be right Happy, and it may be the year of the upset, but here is my first four guess;

2nd: South Coast Arden

3rd: Copy That

4th: Daylight

Those three should honestly gap the rest, even if they were a bit slow away (and I'm assuming Amazing Dream is staying put in Australia).

To me there is very little depth there. 

I do have this awful feeling in my waters, that there will be a horse (or 5) that shouldn't really be there, and they will bugger it up for a more favoured runner. It's due to happen again in a Cup. 

It won't happen in my lifetime, but I do really wish that they had only the best of the best start in the Cup, and not just have the also rans entered to make up the numbers to 15. 

Tend to agree with your summation Rusty, you've summed it up perfectly, the only fly in the ointment might be the new standing start protocols which could affect Self Assured the most

Perhaps I would have Bad To The Bone as an honest and deserving 4th pick, then daylight 5th

Everyone needs a longshot to make a First 4, I'll go Christianshavtime for my longshot

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

The depth of the field is being tested now. Rusty might be right...

Like I said to someone on here recently, even a broken clock is correct twice a day! 

All this kerfuffle over rankings etc does me head in. Like most, not every single year, but most years, any connections of a horse that wants to start in the Cup, will get a start in the Cup. 

It's not like it was back in the good old days when horses had to earn their way into Open (Cup) Class. The depth just isn't there these days, due to a few different reasons, but the export market is obviously a contributing factor. 

7 minutes ago, Rusty said:

I'm not 100% certain for the reason, sorry Happy. If I get confirmation will keep you posted, but he's definitely been withdrawn, and now subsequently out of the betting markets for the Cup. 

All Stars running scared? 🤣

I would have said Cullen racing stables but I had a check to see if there was any news on its website / facebook page but they no longer exist.

Right, I think I may have found one here. The almost forgotten horse (and one of my old favourites).

U May Cullect.

Current odds to win the Cup: $201 

Top 3: $34

Top 4: $21

He's had his issues, they are well documented. He will obviously need to perform well this week, and also at Ashburton, but IF (it's a big IF), he makes it to the start for the Cup, he could give them a fright. 

Am I prepared to take the $200's on offer to find out? Well one doesn't have to put much on, when they're paying that much. 

Good luck to connections. 

• Like 2