The Race Place

Thursday Trivia

PWJ

Max is always in need of points - 100 would be fab ...so it's Babyface Thomson and ...hmmm...older guy, looks a tad on the middle-aged, weather-beaten side unless the photo is an optical illusion ....hmmmm...

trackwork jockeys you said ...mebbe that's a clue that one of em wasnt a jockey at the time but still rode trackwork...hmmm...

Jock Harris?

Eric Ropiha

HN Rauhihi?

hmm.. or wuz PJ's comment 'not GF' a Freudian slip and it's GF Hughes?

MM

1 hour ago, Globederby19 said:

What I  meant (tongue in cheek)was that every TB today stems from the  Byerley Turk, and the two Arabians who might have had a Teddy. Poor attempt at humour. 

I realized later where your tongue was - haha

Fun fact:

There is somewhat of a misnomer surrounding the origins of the thoroughbred. The 3 you mention - the Darley Arabian, Godolphin Arabian & Byerley Turk - are commonly cited as the originators of the breed but nothing could be further from the truth. The error in interpretation is that by the early 20th Century the only sirelines remaining alive descended from this trio. There were dozens of Arabian and Turk stallions that are embed in the origin of the breed and can be found in the pedigree of every horse today.

I give you the pedigree of one of the first great TBs in Gimcrack. Note the multiple other Turk & Arab stallions in his (known) pedigree. Please avert your eyes from the pedigree of Jigg's dam who is the product of Spanker covering his own mother !

Capture.JPG

• Thanks 1