The Race Place

Melody Belle - champion yet?

Hesi

Conclusive and impressive win yesterday, and will go to either the Matriarch or McKinnon, if anything, might just be on a plane back home yet.

10 G1's, but yesterday it was

The best mares on offer at equal weights

The wet track may have played against some of her rivals, not MB, she relished it

So even with the G1 status and the manner of her win, can you call her a champion yet?

I remember a comment from Lance O'Sullivan years past about Sunline as the only horse he thought that could win the Railway and Auckland Cup, in the same year.

Melody Belle may surpass Sunline in group 1's (which I hope she does) but as yet, she does not strike fear in her opposition across the ditch which Sunline did when the McKee's decided to nominated her.

To be mentioned in the same breath is testament to her ability and with a win this weekend will stamp not only her class but also underline the ability of her trainer to recognise and maximise the best from a top-class mare during her racing career and beyond. Smart man.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ashoka said:

Docker,

Please note that Show Gate raced before Mr O'Sullivan's time. Therefore, his lack of knowledge regarding the great mare is excusable. 

That is all.

Agree. Show Gate was Sunline before we knew what a Sunline could do. And I don't think Sunline would've stayed 2 miles anyway! Lance's point is really about Sunline's class and versatility is fine, but 2 miles? Don't think so. If the McKees wanted to to, they could've tried a Melbourne Cup and never did - quite sensibly.

Show Gate, on the other hand, in the stable of a quirky character who was hardly a Waller/Baker/Forsman whoever true professional, did legendary things, sometimes  when only half-ready. (I feel the next horse racing movie comin' on! If they can make one about Seabiscuit, and a TV series about Kiwi, they can - and should - make one about her. 

Edited by Maximus

17 minutes ago, LookingForValue said:

i saw the race, she wouldn't give up and pure guts to win. 

I was there, too ! Sesamoid fracture for the second time. Unbelievable courage...can still see Bob Skelton walking her back to the enclosure

Edited by Maximus

Saturday will be an interesting day with Melody Belle racing in the Mackinnon Stakes (2000m). I have priced her on top but at $3.60 betfair currently, too short for me (I have her at $4.20).

I like the price of Debt Agent as things stand. And also Fifty Stars as well. Maybe when Jye walks the track Saturday morning, he can tell us where the best place to be is.

I think this is a tougher race than her first day win so if she wins this as well, she will have endorsed her quality further. Will also be interesting to see if Magic Wand backs up for her 3rd start in 2 weeks.

Any of those male horses at the top of their game can beat her, so I will sit on the fence and say top 5 finish.  Way too short at $2.80 now

Only the very best horses win G1's in Aus in a row.  That was one hell of a run in the Empire Rose, the ground she made up, to easily run past Aristia, was Winx like, Can't do that every week.......unless you are Winx

This is easily her toughest test ...and if she wins, will they regret not going for the Cox Plate? No favours with the draw (again) but Williams showed what a heady ride can produce.If M beats the boys at Group 1 level tomorrow she will have to regarded as our best since Sunline, and even if she doesn't, further riches await her in the Sydney autumn when the tracks are very likely to be in her favour

13 minutes ago, ngakonui grass said:

I;m not convinced that even if she wins the LKS that people will acknowlege her accomplishment.

It,imo is a pretty ordinary field,3 9 year olds,a couple of 8 year olds,doesn't seem to me to be many horses in there that will go on with it.

However she can only beat whats put in front of her .

Is lacking overall quality for sure. I think the move to this Saturday was expected to improve the quality. But it hasn't worked this year. I think she will be the likely winner and good on her if she does.

Edited by mardigras

As good as she is, you can't expect her to make up so much ground against genuine G1 horses.  She did it last time, against her own sex, the wide draw again didn't help

Probably from that point of view, a below average ride.  Would a James Mac have had her a bit closer....who knows

Anyway, I think she has proven she is up with the best group of horses in Aus

• Like 2

What a huge run. NZ looking good for the Cox plate 2020. On the ride, there was a chance to push up at the risk of being trapped wide. It wasn't a great ride but also a victim of good rides ahead which stretched the field the last 1400 very efficiently giving just a little too much to do from the back.

• Like 1

Yeah Nah Good Post !

I was born in 66 and my Pops ensured racing was a gimme..(.was shoveling shit, taking daily doubles , remember the old yellow carbon copy tickets. as a 10 y.o)

Showgate,Greyway,Balmarino among the best with Sunline ...(have the cap !,... but she could,nt get the HB triple crown)...

Melody Belle did ! ...and she should have won the Mckinnon I reckon. ( O.P made what he could of the Barrier Draw

Are the Barrier Draws over there Public?...Can you buy a good one ?...Just Wondering,...Out of curiosity ? LOL

Everyone bangs on about her triple crown and no one else has done it.

But get things in perspective, the quality of G1 racing in NZ has slipped horribly in the last 20 years

Others that have tried and failed, usually came up against at least half a dozen genuine G1 NZ horses