The Race Place

Big Announcement

Hesi

12 minutes ago, Turny said:

Think that will happen Pete, but that will be part 2 of the message saying that discussions very advanced and looking to complete within 6 month's 

The other aspect the Geo blocking will be within a couple of months I am picking

Last communication from TAB on Sept 19, was that they were expecting to identify a short list of potential partners by Xmas, so surely they are not in a position to announce anything 

4 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Last communication from TAB on Sept 19, was that they were expecting to identify a short list of potential partners by Xmas, so surely they are not in a position to announce anything 

If that's the case it will be probably be late 2023 before they manage to stitch anything up.

These people are basically incompetent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pete said:

It's exactly what Max has said. We won't be able to bet with agencies outside NZ.

Another stab in the back for the free market.

Just how do they go about that. Surely in this technological age there will be ways to circumnavigate the system. I remember being in Perth and my son had the knowhow to trick the system into thinking he was in NZ so I could get a bet on the NZ TAB. 

It borders on human rights abuse.

16 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

Just how do they go about that. Surely in this technological age there will be ways to circumnavigate the system. I remember being in Perth and my son had the knowhow to trick the system into thinking he was in NZ so I could get a bet on the NZ TAB. 

It borders on human rights abuse.

Well it is possible to use a VPN but companies like Bet365 are wise to this in the main. They block based on your IP address so obviously if you managed to use a VPN and look as if you were in Sydney then it might work. But the other thing is that they keep lists of IP addresses of the VPNs so you need to keep moving servers to try and stay one step ahead. It may or may not work.

TAB LEADERSHIP TEAM

have nothing at all to do with horse racing. Only Sam Moncur and Simon Thomas bit players in the wagering industry before. This constant changing of senior management must be costing a fortune.

MIKE TOD

CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER

SAM MONCUR

CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER

Sam has previously held both commercial and operational roles in the Finance and Broadcasting divisions, before becoming the GM of Finance in 2020.  

Sam is a Chartered Accountant who joined the TAB Finance team in 2013 after several years working in both New Zealand and London.  

JODI WILLIAMS

CHIEF MARKETING AND CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE OFFICER

SIMON THOMAS 

CHIEF BETTING OFFICER

Simon has worked in the wagering industry for over 20 years. Since joining the business in 2008 he has held a number of trading and risk management roles across both racing and sport. Prior to joining TAB NZ, Simon spent five years in London with a major UK-based wagering operator.

FRED LAURY

CHIEF DIGITAL OFFICER

MEGAN CAMPBELL

CHIEF PEOPLE OFFICER

Megan joined TAB NZ in May 2021 and was appointed to the role of Chief People Officer in August 2022. 

CAMERON RODGER

CHIEF COMMERCIAL OFFICER

2 hours ago, Hesi said:

Don't some offshore betting agencies already pay a fee for betting on NZ races?

Yep - but they will believe they can get all the punter loss rather than the fee (which is generally less than the punter loss). But a small % of something is better than 100% of nothing.

Edited by mardigras

This from Aug 2018

"The deeply distressed state of New Zealand's racing industry quickly became evident to us, as did the resilience and dedication of those who work and invest in it," said Mr Messara.

"This gives me the confidence that comprehensive action by the Minister will be strongly supported by you all and that the New Zealand industry can have the much brighter future it deserves." 

He identified prizemoney as the greatest influencer on the state of racing and estimated stakes would need to double, if New Zealand was to become a competitive player on the international market.

"However prizemoney has to be funded by recurring revenue," he said. "My review includes a series of reforms that I believe will enable a doubling of stakes money.

"And that increase needs to be right through the system - from the smallest races right up to the group and listed programme. We need to keep people in the game."