The Race Place

Womens World Cup - NZ v Norway

Maximus

Well I'm Maori.. In the terms of percentages.. and I can say that as the majority of New Zealanders speak english, including all ethnicities that make up the wonderful cultural melting pot of New Zealand that are undoubtedly in the crowd, then yes there is a difference, if it was time limited then it should have been sung in English.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

oh lawdie, DS, are you crediting Te Ao Maori for this fabulous and wonderful historic sporting victory that has nothin to do with a player's race?

Thoroughly deserved win ...best of all the goal scorer comes from Maxi's neck of the woods. We taught her everything she knows, sort of.

MM

Moving on, before we become the Sth Africa of the Pacific. They completely outplayed the 12th ranked team in the world, hustled them off the ball and put them in disarray. I was expecting a loss, but that was a definitive moment in our womans footballing History . Well done them.👍

• Like 3

1 minute ago, brown fox said:

Best alround display I've seen from the Ferns.Just need to get more shots on goal.

Great result ! that will create a swarm of young lasses wanting to play football all around Nz now. 

and just now the Aussie Matilda's have won too !! excellent stuff. Had the 'Luck of the Irish' and got a penalty to beat Ireland 1-0 .🏆

alas Sam Kerr still out for a match or 2 with a calf injury. What rotten timing. 🤕

• Like 2

From hero to zero. Put them under pressure and the lack of ball control shows when having to make quick one twos.That's the difference between European football and local stuff. Norway who play a more expansive structured game hang off players more, which gave us more time to hassle and upset their rhythm, with our style of play.  Some nice players in our team but a way to go yet, and  they should have put the Phillipines away, but were hustled off the ball and kept out by some very good goalkeeping . Wide open group now.

Edited by Globederby19
  • Like 4

On 7/20/2023 at 9:36 PM, Maximus said:

missing the point. Our national anthem is bilingual; so who decided to do it only in Te Reo tonite?

MM

I have now been to three games at The Wellington Stadium and for all of these there has been no vocalist for the National Anthems and the same for other games that I have watched on Sky. So, for the Norway game the anthem was sung in Māori by the crowd.

2 minutes ago, Bloke said:

I have now been to three games at The Wellington Stadium and for all of these there has been no vocalist for the National Anthems and the same for other games that I have watched on Sky. So, for the Norway game the anthem was sung in Māori by the crowd.

my query is why isnt it being sung - even if only by the crowd - in both languages. Only time for one verse? Then do it 50/50

Congrats to the Philippines ladies, defied our strikers throughout and had little possession themselves. NZ had plenty of chances to score but the precision passing and finishing was not there this time. Makes the Group even more interesting.

MM

• Like 2