The Race Place

Karaka Million review

Hesi

Yeah I think he's stretching it a bit with that statement.

I do think though that the fact the jockeys chose to race should be noted.

I really can't see the likes of James McDonald and Blake Shinn allowing themselves to be compelled to race if they thought they were in danger.

1 minute ago, pete said:

Yeah I think he's stretching it a bit with that statement.

I do think though that the fact the jockeys chose to race should be noted.

I really can't see the likes of James McDonald and Blake Shinn allowing themselves to be compelled to race if they thought they were in danger.

Some people can be very persuasive with their narrative

I note also, that NZB seem to be having a big say in how NZ racing is programmed.  We have already covered the KM and the new races next Summer, but I note, Anniversary weekend in Auckland, and no races, I presume because of the sales.  Not sure why everything has to stop

2 minutes ago, pete said:

Hmm not sure I totally buy that. I guess we'll never know.

Probably the same reason we have no racing media coverage in NZ that will take on the issues.  They all fall into line with their hyperbole, wo be tied anyone that swims against the tide

4 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Probably the same reason we have no racing media coverage in NZ that will take on the issues.  They all fall into line with their hyperbole, wo be tied anyone that swims against the tide

True but we're talking James McDonald here. You would think he would be aware of the consequences of a serious injury to his stellar career.

I can see how some of the local lesser lights could easily be persuaded.

7 minutes ago, pete said:

True but we're talking James McDonald here. You would think he would be aware of the consequences of a serious injury to his stellar career.

I can see how some of the local lesser lights could easily be persuaded.

Just remember of course that James McDonald is not lily white, with an 18 month suspension for betting on a horse he was riding

55 minutes ago, Hesi said:

He is from a well known racing family, Paul(?) Gestro.  The Torch is well known as a Gestro, so not divulging any confidences

He makes an interesting point, that the TAB had already paid out on Legarto.  I don't know all the detail.  I wonder if BGP asked the question.

36 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Just remember of course that James McDonald is not lily white, with an 18 month suspension for betting on a horse he was riding

Not really pertinent to this discussion Hesi.

I'm talking about self preservation here.

45 minutes ago, Hesi said:

He makes an interesting point, that the TAB had already paid out on Legarto.  I don't know all the detail.  I wonder if BGP asked the question.

True but very unlikely TAB would pay out on it in my opinion.

Those suggesting the cost of watering may have contributed to this, might want to have a look at the large pond they have built a Ellerslie, as a water reservoir, to collect rain fall/storm water.

It's not a large water jump lol

image.thumb.png.6d4b3b095bd1f571d2426dffa595700a.png

• Haha 1

On 1/29/2024 at 12:50 PM, Hesi said:

Say what? Who is this Wo...? Is it Mr Wo, the almost completely unknown Chinese thoroughbred tycoon?

Did you mean 'woe betide'?

LOL
MM

PS: Elliot was not caught napping on Legarto. Desert Lightning was just too good on that (shifty) track on the day.

That meeting was very fortunate indeed not be abandoned - remember both Hastings and Trentham had been canned in the two days immediately prior for safety reasons - and the 'powers that be' didnt have to tell the jocks anything...they knew they were racing for big big dosh in NZ terms and cancellation halfway through would've had enormous consequences.

My reaction was when watching the last 3 races was ….. for gods sake just get around without a fall ….. and thankfully they did

Bullet dodged but hold the view the meeting should have been called off, it wasn’t for reasons previously recorded 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 1:17 PM, Hesi said:

what question would BGP ask?

“we see you paid out during the week on earlier bets placed on Legarto so if we place a bet on Legarto today will you guarantee us a 30% return?”

8 minutes ago, Our Maizcay said:

“we see you paid out during the week on earlier bets placed on Legarto so if we place a bet on Legarto today will you guarantee us a 30% return?”

yes, only for futures market. I expect they had very little activity on the futures market - not sure what odds were offered on the horse in the futures market, but if they were low like the raceday market, not likely costing them long term.

1 hour ago, mardigras said:

yes, only for futures market. I expect they had very little activity on the futures market - not sure what odds were offered on the horse in the futures market, but if they were low like the raceday market, not likely costing them long term.

Probably, as you suggest, where they are not unduly exposed anyway and they rate the chance of the horse winning close to 100%. So, the promotional value exceeds the risk and it encourages earlier turnover of that money.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Our Maizcay said:

You considered Legarto a past the post proposition to the extent you paid out before the race.  If we take a multi, Legarto to win/Orchestral to win, will you apply the same logic, so that we already have the first leg of our multi in, at whatever the price was.