The Race Place

Karaka Million review

Hesi

2 minutes ago, mardigras said:

I understand that some other Strathayr tracks have had difficulty with grass not going deep into the soil - who knows whether the Strathayr system is part of the problem there. Kensington is one of those from memory with such issues. So they ripped it up.

They would have had all the info they needed to determine when the track was supposedly suitable to race on. Suggesting now that they raced on it too soon doesn't gel with me. if that is the case, then surely they will be some time before racing there again - due to the damage done from the last two meetings and awaiting the grass to root deeper.

As you say, the hype around this meeting and the track has been huge.  Any suggestion by people like the track manager that the track needed more time, would be unacceptable

13 hours ago, Hesi said:

Reviewing all the races, nothing made ground from the back. 

That made Egyptian Queens run in the Almanzor so much more incredible considering its very slow start out of the gates again. If this horse leaves with them watch out.

39 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

That made Egyptian Queens run in the Almanzor so much more incredible considering its very slow start out of the gates again. If this horse leaves with them watch out.

Yep saw that.  The run was almost identical to Petrucci, with both making ground on the rails during the race, so they were not that far off the lead on the turn

Just going through the races again, despite the rain, you couldn't say the rail was off, so that is a positive for the track.  Every race was won 2-4 out from the rail, and as Vanturk corrected me, the only horse to make significant ground down the outside was Just As Sharp.

Let's just say that there is a massive problem with the track the way that it is.

Until it settles down, it will be a watch and wait for me, except I/we still have to pick in the Race Cafe Fab 4 competition.

Our results yesterday were right out of quilter with our norm, so let;s just wait and see. LOL

5 minutes ago, Buller Rep said:

Let's just say that there is a massive problem with the track the way that it is.

Until it settles down, it will be a watch and wait for me, except I/we still have to pick in the Race Cafe Fab 4 competition.

Our results yesterday were right out of quilter with our norm, so let;s just wait and see. LOL

Was it a musical comp or did it actually involve racehorses lol

• Haha 1

Article in paper edition of Herald this morning by Mick Guerin.

Quote from Paul Wilcox:

"First thing first, we absolutely admit it was not ideal but we were unlucky with the rain, which can make any firm surface more slippery than you would like"

"But we're dealing with a new track that everybody loved at the first meeting and the new surface is still settling down, which it will continue to do for another year"

"That means the top had what was described to me as 'surface tension' and that caused the issue"

"The bottom line is it wasn't good enough but the Jockeys were comfortable still racing and obviously we didn't try and convince them either way, that was between them and the stewards".

Wilcox says he and his team will work with Stewards and, if needed, Jockeys to test the track if that is deemed necessary before the next meeting and they want to have things more settled for the Cup meeting.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, pete said:

Quote from Paul Wilcox:

"First thing first, we absolutely admit it was not ideal but we were unlucky with the rain, which can make any firm surface more slippery than you would like"

"But we're dealing with a new track that everybody loved at the first meeting and the new surface is still settling down, which it will continue to do for another year"

"That means the top had what was described to me as 'surface tension' and that caused the issue"

"The bottom line is it wasn't good enough but the Jockeys were comfortable still racing and obviously we didn't try and convince them either way, that was between them and the stewards".

Wilcox says he and his team will work with Stewards and, if needed, Jockeys to test the track if that is deemed necessary before the next meeting and they want to have things more settled for the Cup meeting.

Can someone translate into English please

2 hours ago, pete said:

Quote from Paul Wilcox:

You would have to believe with the wealth of knowledge about turf from Strathayr, local turf people and the track manager, that this is a solvable issue, UNLIKE TRENTHAM, WHICH CAN ONLY BE FIXED BY A COMPLETE RE-LAY OF THE ENTIRE TRACK.

I'd still like to know what 'the top had surface tension ' means

I'm picking 3 things

1.  The track manager said in the lead up to this meeting, the turf is not ready to race on yet, especially if we get showers on the day

2.  Wilcox and Vela said, we race on Jan 27 at Ellerslie, full stop

3.  Vela said on the day in a very round about but direct way lol, the meeting goes ahead

• Like 2