The Race Place

Karaka Million review

Hesi

A few points other than the wall-to-wall hyperbole from Trackside presenters

1.  3 classy horses, Crocetti, Velocious and Orchestral, shows we can still produce top class horses

2.  As mentioned Vinny Colgan caught Ryan Elliot napping, a tactically superb ride on Desert Lightning, who was just below the top draw of 3-year-olds, but has blossomed this season as a 4-year-old.

3.  Did the new Ellerslie track live up to expectations, did it ever.  Desert Lightning ran 1.32.53! and Orchestral 1.33.31, and that was after showers had fallen

4.  Best race day ever in NZ, I don't think so.  6 races only, no G1's and 12,000 on course.  Many country meetings over the holidays get more than that.  How many on this site would go along, I would suggest, countable on the fingers of one hand.  A great promo day for NZB, yes of course

5.  Big ups to Albert Bosma of Go Racing for his comments after the win by Velocious.  Basically, we were focusing on middle distance racing in Aus, but then commented how great it was that Entain came along with all this money, so we switched out priority to support racing in NZ.  Shame a few of the other self-serving players don't follow his lead.

6.  And following on from 5, guess what, no TA winners.  Barry, bless his soul, would be smiling

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

A few points other than the wall-to-wall hyperbole from Trackside presenters

1.  3 classy horses, Crocetti, Velocious and Orchestral, shows we can still produce top class horses

2.  As mentioned Vinny Colgan caught Ryan Elliot napping, a tactically superb ride on Desert Lightning, who was just below the top draw of 3-year-olds, but has blossomed this season as a 4-year-old.

3.  Did the new Ellerslie track live up to expectations, did it ever.  Desert Lightning ran 1.32.53! and Orchestral 1.33.31, and that was after showers had fallen

4.  Best race day ever in NZ, I don't think so.  6 races only, no G1's and 12,000 on course.  Many country meetings over the holidays get more than that.  How many on this site would go along, I would suggest, countable on the fingers of one hand.  A great promo day for NZB, yes of course

5.  Big ups to Albert Bosma of Go Racing for his comments after the win by Velocious.  Basically, we were focusing on middle distance racing in Aus, but then commented how great it was that Entain came along with all this money, so we switched out priority to support racing in NZ.  Shame a few of the other self-serving players don't follow his lead.

6.  And following on from 5, guess what, no TA winners.  Barry, bless his soul, would be smiling

Pretty well summed up … but from what I have heard they were luck to finish the meeting as the track became slippery. 

The three horses that you have mentioned are superstars. 

Too much of a leaders bias for me. I’ll have to learn how to bet there. 

The Captain Cook was a genuine Group One after all 😊

Relevant parts from the stipes report

R4

Following this race comment was made by some riders that their mounts were shifting in the ground. Films from Race 3 were also further reviewed where it was apparent that TEVERE had lost its footing rounding the final turn. Stewards convened a meeting with all riders and after viewing available film footage it was agreed that the meeting should continue.

Race 5 ELSDON PARK AOTEAROA CLASSIC 4YO 1600 .

Following further comment from riders regarding the footing including W Kennedy who reported that his mount lost its footing passing the 600 metres, a further meeting was convened with all riders. After reviewing film footage and considering submissions from all riders present the decision was made to run the last race as scheduled.

Race 6 TAB KARAKA MILLIONS 3YO 1600

PENDRAGON (M Zahra) – Lost its footing entering the final straight.

LUPO SOLITARIO (R Elliot) – Rider reported that the gelding had failed to handle today’s shifty track conditions.

MOLLY BLOOM (B Shinn) - When questioned regarding the performance the rider advised that it had appeared difficult to make ground from the back today adding that the filly had then peaked on its run over the concluding stages.

2 hours ago, Buller Rep said:

Pretty well summed up … but from what I have heard they were luck to finish the meeting as the track became slippery. 

The three horses that you have mentioned are superstars. 

Too much of a leaders bias for me. I’ll have to learn how to bet there. 

The Captain Cook was a genuine Group One after all 😊

Reviewing all the races, nothing made ground from the back.  Was this because they were going so quickly in front, or has the 'shifty' track caused this

• Like 1

I don't think you can look at times on this track compared to the previous track. This is a new track. If times are a measure - look at the supposed time at Riccarton of Madam Dubai over 1200m in 1.07.22

Times should not be an indicator of track performance. This track was having its second proper race meeting. And reports of slipping would be of more concern than any times they ran. 

The times overall suggest the track may run faster than the previous implementation. e.g Around 4% of horses to run at Ellerslie in the past over 1200 would break 1.09.5. 6 looked to have done that yesterday out of 34 starters.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hesi said:

Reviewing all the races, nothing made ground from the back.  Was this because they were going so quickly in front, or has the 'shifty' track caused this

Put ya glasses  on hesi. Watch just as sharp run

Would have thought the race times say you had to be handy to finish on, those at the back would had to have broken 32 for the last 600 to feature and that just cannot be done. Must say I was surprised no moves from the 1000 metre mark but more intent to find the rail, so a message there I suppose.

Just thankful we got thru the day, looked very iffy 2 races out from the last

Hoping the track settles and consolidates but just as sure ATC management will have need to address the issue

For what  it is worth Randwick had, again, a shocking rail yesterday and Punters left it alone like I did. Not just a local issue

Edited by Turny

7 hours ago, Hesi said:

Pendragon definitely slipped coming into the straight

This must all be very concerning after the money spent on this track, 15mm of irrigation overnight, then 'light' showers

image.thumb.png.17a795e47f625bda52c343bfdbeef5d9.png

Good pic. There was turf flying all over the place on that turn.

1 hour ago, mardigras said:

I don't think you can look at times on this track compared to the previous track. This is a new track. If times are a measure - look at the supposed time at Riccarton of Madam Dubai over 1200m in 1.07.22

Times should not be an indicator of track performance. This track was having its second proper race meeting. And reports of slipping would be of more concern than any times they ran. 

The times overall suggest the track may run faster than the previous implementation. e.g Around 4% of horses to run at Ellerslie in the past over 1200 would break 1.09.5. 6 looked to have done that yesterday out of 34 starters.

Yes. And I'd say riders reluctant to change ground in the shifty conditions favoured the handy horses that had a straight run to the line.

• Like 1

What is incredible is the hype. Here we have a track that has been tasked with lifting NZ racing to great heights. Second meeting in, with ample opportunity to ensure the track was ready for racing, with a forecast of showers, known well in advance.

And what happened?

The only difference between Strathayr and a properly constructed well drained track, are the 100mm square pieces of plastic mesh incorporated into the top turf layer when it is laid.

Perhaps they just raced on it too soon and more time is needed for the roots of the turf to consolidate and bind everything together.

No doubt there have been some very frantic phone calls to Strathayr by Paul Wilcox, as a bit more rain on the day and the meeting would have been abandoned.

So 15mm put on in the 24 hours and he's taking the view of no rain.

As pointed out by Curious there were divots flying everywhere on the turn before it even rained.

Edited by pete

12 minutes ago, Hesi said:

The only difference between Strathayr and a properly constructed well drained track, are the 100mm square pieces of plastic mesh incorporated into the top turf layer when it is laid.

Perhaps they just raced on it too soon and more time is needed for the roots of the turf to consolidate and bind everything together.

No doubt there have been some very frantic phone calls to Strathayr by Paul Wilcox, as a bit more rain on the day and the meeting would have been abandoned.

My comment wasn't in relation to it being Strathayr - it was in regards to the ability to put a track together that can give punters confidence - as well as riders riding on it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pete said:

So 15mm put on in the 24 hours and he's taking the view of no rain.

As pointed out by Curious there were divots flying everywhere on the turn before it even rained.

That would suggest 15mm of rain followed by some showers is going to result in a track throwing clods around and potentially slippery as well. That sounds odd. How much rain/irrigation leading up to Friday?

Yep, got that

They have spent so much money and time and what is a complete re-lay of the track, down to the sub soil, yet still there are problems.

I think what has happened here is that they raced on it too soon before the roots of the grass were well and truly established.

My knowledge of growing things, including lawns, is that the worst thing you can do early on is regular shallow watering.  Better a longer spaced deep watering.  Regular light watering leads to a root structure that is shallow

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mardigras said:

That would suggest 15mm of rain followed by some showers is going to result in a track throwing clods around and potentially slippery as well. That sounds odd. How much rain/irrigation leading up to Friday?

Don't know that. I agree that it's all very odd as it's supposed to be free draining.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Yep, got that

They have spent so much money and time and what is a complete re-lay of the track, down to the sub soil, yet still there are problems.

I think what has happened here is that they raced on it too soon before the roots of the grass were well and truly established.

My knowledge of growing things, including lawns, is that the worst thing you can do early on is regular shallow watering.  Better a longer spaced deep watering.  Regular light watering leads to a root structure that is shallow

I understand that some other Strathayr tracks have had difficulty with grass not going deep into the soil - who knows whether the Strathayr system is part of the problem there. Kensington is one of those from memory with such issues. So they ripped it up.

They would have had all the info they needed to determine when the track was supposedly suitable to race on. Suggesting now that they raced on it too soon doesn't gel with me. if that is the case, then surely they will be some time before racing there again - due to the damage done from the last two meetings and awaiting the grass to root deeper.