The Race Place

Blackcaps

brown fox

6 hours ago, Hesi said:

And now onto a real test against Aus that the Blackcaps will really have to raise their game for.

I'm struggling to see anything but a 2-0 series defeat.

I note that the Basin reserve has been sold out for some time for the first 4 days of the first test, which is awesome for test cricket here.  They don't sell 5th day tickets in advance.

ridiculous to have sold out first 4 days...clearly a poor choice of venue given the Trans-Tasman rivalry and a rare chance to see  Ozziess play Test cricket in our backyard. Whats the capacity of the Basin and why have they not put in extra seating?

MM

9 minutes ago, Maximus said:

ridiculous to have sold out first 4 days...clearly a poor choice of venue given the Trans-Tasman rivalry and a rare chance to see  Ozziess play Test cricket in our backyard. Whats the capacity of the Basin and why have they not put in extra seating?

MM

I like it being at the basin. Be great atmosphere and a proper cricket ground. I'd expect that many that would go to the basin wouldn't go to the cake tin if it was held there.

And the basin better than most other NZ venues, and a place where they always get a good crowd for a test.

Not sure what current capacity is as I think one of the small stands may be out of bounds due to structural issues. Still one of the best places to watch cricket imo.

Edited by mardigras
  • Like 1

At 11,600 it has the highest capacity of all the test cricket grounds, other than Hagley Park that will be used for the 2nd test.

Eden Park is not allowed to be used for test cricket because of the short boundaries

Just now, mardigras said:

I like it being at the basin. Be great atmosphere and a proper cricket ground. I'd expect that many that would go to the basin wouldn't go to the cake tin if it was held there.

Not sure what current capacity is as I think one of the small stands may be out of bounds due to structural issues. Still one of the best places to watch cricket imo.

You would need to have a test standard pitch at the Cake Tin, which is not the case, but agree about Basin Reserve

Yes, of course the Basin is the best venue..ny question was why they couldnt have the forethought to erect extra temporary seating, given the strong demand. Surely they could make room for a mere Mustelid and couple of mates.

MM

2 hours ago, ngakonui grass said:

friend of mine works for a resthome and made the decision to take clients who were interested to watch NZ V SA.

They only wanted to take them for an hour just to give them an outing.

Wouldn't budge from $20 for a morning session so they didn't go but took them  elsewhere.

shoulda gone to the third session ...$15  ...Max knows how to cop a bargain outta NZC

• Like 1

3 T20's at the Cake Tin on Wed, then Eden Park on Fri and Sun, what a week of entertainment, I won't call it cricket.

Any predictions, a full strength Aussie squad versus some big hitters of the ball in the NZ team, 3-2 to Aus in the last 5 matches.

12 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Any predictions, a full strength Aussie squad versus some big hitters of the ball in the NZ team,

Colin Munro dropped in to play some matches for the BRISBANE HEat in the Big Bash recently , and they took the Title.

Very jolly decent of the Kiwi's to send him in. much appreciated. 

Hoping for 3 zip for the Aussies though 😎🏏🏆 . the World Cup One day Champions . 

3-0 if 'The Big Show Maxi' plays 3 matches..... 2-1 if he only plays 2..... 1-2 NZ win if he plays one match. Howzat ? 😂

3 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Colin Munro dropped in to play some matches for the BRISBANE HEat in the Big Bash recently , and they took the Title.

Very jolly decent of the Kiwi's to send him in. much appreciated. 

Hoping for 3 zip for the Aussies though 😎🏏🏆 . the World Cup One day Champions . 

3-0 if 'The Big Show Maxi' plays 3 matches..... 2-1 if he only plays 2..... 1-2 NZ win if he plays one match. Howzat ? 😂

A one man team ?

On 2/19/2024 at 10:52 PM, Maximus said:

hey, you leave my teamie alone please, Rees 

MM

tke Rees. LB is doing a great job building up these unbeatable Ozzie raiders ...but the Blackcaps are never better than when they're given bugger-all chance.  Max doesnt give a toss about the result of the T20 hit and giggle smash-up ...but if we have prepared the right kind of pitches for our bowlers, we could surprise them. 

MM

On 2/19/2024 at 6:45 PM, Hesi said:

3 T20's at the Cake Tin on Wed, then Eden Park on Fri and Sun, what a week of entertainment, I won't call it cricket.

Any predictions, a full strength Aussie squad versus some big hitters of the ball in the NZ team, 3-2 to Aus in the last 5 matches.

Look, peeps, the Blackcaps beat Australia at the SCG in the last T20 World Cup encounter, so dont think for a moment that we'll be smacked. They (OZ) nearly ALWAYS take a while to adapt to our pitches-  as we do to theirs - so Max is predicting a 2-1 T20 Series win to the Blackcaps.
We'll get smacked in the Tests, I reckon. No Boult, no Jamieson. no Henry....how the hell are we going to bowl them out twice? With spin??
'Rourke, Wagner, Southee the mainstays, not destructive enuf UNLESS it swings all over the shop at the Basin. If it does, Starc will have field day, or two.
I just cant see us being ruthless enough to bowl them out twice.
Hope I'm wrong. And I'd love to see Southee take 10 in the match at the Basin, but his recent form doesnt encourage that hope!

MM

5 minutes ago, brown fox said:

Shit shit shit!!! So near yet so far.Great game

Never in doubt Foxy mate.  Blackcaps with 13 Sixes but the Baggies have blasted them with 17 BIG whacks in reply.

A big Rough Habit 92' Stradbroke type flying finish by the Aussie Lads . Outstanding Stuff. 

• Like 1

Yep, great match, could have gone either way, Aussies were doing it comfortably, then NZ pulled it back to the point a win seemed certain, then Aussie pulled it back with 19 in that second to last over.

I watched an interview with David Warner, an easy going, uncomplicated guy and undoubtedly great cricket skills.  What a shame he got involved in all that sandpaper stuff, as it will always define his career.  A shame they all booed him, but his response was all class.

It won't quite be the same as watching a 5 day test, but Fri/Sun will be great to watch, with PJ's comp in between.

Went to the game - was a great match. Being an Ozzie and a Kiwi, my side was always going to win.

Some great hitting, some great bowling (Ferguson) and also a lot of wides (both sides).

And an easy exit from the stadium which was cool - as I've left there in the past when it's been like a sardine sandwich.

• Like 2

LAME. PATHETIC display by the Blackcaps tonight. Only Ferguson (brilliant) and Sears (passionate) came out of it with any credit. Boult a huge disappointment leaking so many runs. Fielding not up to our usual high standard amd Santner vatting#3 was appalling; would've been better if he'd opened - to keep a left and right hand combo at the start. Stupid, and couldnt hit it off the block, while they scored 20 off the 1st over.

At least it tells us something about who's up to world-class T20 standard: Allen, Conway, Williamson, Mitchell, Ravindra, Phillips, Santner, Ferguson, Milne, Henry, Sodhi, Southee, Boult, Sears.

Fitness query over M Bracewell. Jamieson is out.
They'll probably have to take Chapman, mebbe Young and/or Latham or Clarkson.

Without Ferguson, Williamson, and/or Mitchell we'd be lucky to make the top 4 in the Caribbean.
Southee and Boult look to be on borrowed time to me.

MM

On 2/23/2024 at 9:10 PM, Maximus said:

They'll probably have to take Chapman,

He looked to be struggling a bit mate. Nor even the old Auckland Rain could help in the 3rd match today.

Go the mighty Baggies 💰🏏🇦🇺

Think some of these Blackcaps T20 cricketers would be better placed in the Factory on Saturdays Max?.   😅 

or maybe Not , as you had a Win yesterday at the Factory (very well done Mate)  , so they mighten'ed make the Grade. Could be SEAGULL grade players ? 😉😁