The Race Place

Blackcaps

brown fox

I agree Max that frustration is sure to have played a part but what I think is interesting is they may have put the Protea's slow scoring down to their own bowling, but perhaps it is because it's a bowlers wicket and the Protea's were actually batting defensively and well, knowing that they could easily do the same with the ball, which they did.  A lack of thought to some extent from NZ.

9 hours ago, Dancing Show said:

It's always more difficult taking on a team that has nothing to lose than a team that has their cricket careers on the line and that you know well and can study.      The Protea hotchpotch, whilst not their top players are still at the level of many of our regional team players and they all, at times pull off a great bowl that gets our representative batsmen out, or play a beaut innings against our representative bowlers.   It's always going to happen.   To expect the NZ team to run over them 100 percent of the time is just not realistic.

Ergo, they are able to 'test' NZ. I think it was disrespectful to call the team, such a poor team - where supposedly none of them even resembled a first string test player. I'd call it a great opportunity to send a bunch of their better next level players, to see how they progress with the future in mind. Even if they lose this test, for SA, it has probably been a worthwhile venture. NZ needs to pull its head in about the teams other countries send.

With the test championship in mind, NZ should be pleased if they think the team is such a poor team.

14 hours ago, mardigras said:

Boult is supposedly in the T20 squad - for the last two games.

Listening to the selection manager for the Blackcaps, Sam Wells talk last night, Boult won't be considered for selection for the tests as he has not played test cricket for 18 months, and therefore his condition to bowl for long periods in a test is not there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mardigras said:

Ergo, they are able to 'test' NZ. I think it was disrespectful to call the team, such a poor team - where supposedly none of them even resembled a first string test player. I'd call it a great opportunity to send a bunch of their better next level players, to see how they progress with the future in mind. Even if they lose this test, for SA, it has probably been a worthwhile venture. NZ needs to pull its head in about the teams other countries send.

With the test championship in mind, NZ should be pleased if they think the team is such a poor team.

With the WTC in mind, NZ should now apply themselves properly, get ruthless, and stay ruthless for the rest of this match to ensure they get the points!

MM

Good point Maxi about the WTC points.

Gonads on the line, what the hell.

Complacency gone

I'm picking they will put up a 300 plus score on the 3rd day and part of the 4th day, for a 300 plus lead and easily bowl SA out before the end of the 5th day.

27 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Good point Maxi about the WTC points.

Gonads on the line, what the hell.

Complacency gone

I'm picking they will put up a 300 plus score on the 3rd day and part of the 4th day, for a 300 plus lead and easily bowl SA out before the end of the 5th day.

How will they do that when SA are batting next?

Revised placement of gonads

SA won't get past 200 second innings, leaving maximum 230 for NZ to chase, that they will do with a loss of at the most, 5 wickets.  So closer than what most thought before the test began, but still comfortable.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, brown fox said:

I thought this was going to happen in the first test.Aussie batters must be licking their lips and studying the record books🙈

just what we want, Foxy One...a complacent bunch of Ozzie bleeders, cheats and underarm-lovers cruisin' in the Shaky Isles with the two Series already won in their heads...reminds me a touch of the Blackcaps v South Africa at Hamilton (where we are going to have to apply ourselves to win the Series 2-0.

MM

David Bedingham, seems like quite a useful player.  Left SA in a huff and played County cricket in England, scoring 180 in his first match for Durham, 257 in his 3rd match, which is their second highest score by a batsman.  Born in George (never heard of it), a city in South Africa with a population about the same size as Hamilton or Tauranga

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

Yes hopeless, the Blackcaps and my predictions this time.

They could actually lose this test!!

Seems I gave myself an uppercut too soon, only 35 runs out, and touch wood NZ should win this comfortably

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Hesi said:

Seems I gave myself an uppercut too soon, only 35 runs out, and touch wood NZ should win this comfortably

comfortably or not, Blackcaps should win it...but we have seen seemingly comfortable positions turned upside down by clusters of wickets, and runs sometimes difficult to come by. Thet difference will be application to the task. If I see Blackcaps players starting to play reverse sweeps and scoops and silly shit, we're doomed. If we play mostly straight and with some patience, we will win. It's only Day 2 =3 and the 4th innings is underway! Patience, lads, patience.

MM

Glenn Turner or John Wright would never have played a reverse sweep or ramp shot in their life.  I once saw Turner hit a six onto the roof at Eden Park with a minimum of back lift or follow through, all timing.

Day 4 ..the series to be decided today.
All set up for an intriguing finish.
Will the Blackcaps suffer another meek capitulation as they did in their first innings?
Will SA's twin spin attack run through us in spin-friendly conditions? There's turn and bounce for them, but it's a Day 4 wicket, not Day 5...
Will non-captain Kane anchor a tantalising target of 227 more runs?
Will anyone anchor the chase, or almost everyone chip in 20-30. Remember no Blackcaps scored even 50 in the first dig, while Bedingham has shown how to do it..positive intent matched with sound technique and patience. (Congrats to him on a fabulous contribution that has given his team a decent chance of leaving us red-faced.)

Maxi's prediction (FWIW): it will be tighter than I want it to be...reckon we'll get there 267-7.  Latham / Williamson top-scorers.

MM

And now onto a real test against Aus that the Blackcaps will really have to raise their game for.

I'm struggling to see anything but a 2-0 series defeat.

I note that the Basin reserve has been sold out for some time for the first 4 days of the first test, which is awesome for test cricket here.  They don't sell 5th day tickets in advance.