The Race Place

Race Place changes

Hesi

Maxi has decided to relinquish his admin and moderator roles on the site, and I would like to thank him for his input over the last 15 months.

I have asked Pete to return as a moderator, administrator and part owner of the site, which he has gleefully accepted.

Pete and I have had our turmoil in the past, but I can assure everyone, that this is in the past and we have completely made our peace with each other.

Pete also brings back his IT skills, which I struggled with, but got by, just

Thanks

• Like 14

Welcome back EL Capitan, great , now you can run the Trot comps without that other luddite/chump involved. lol. 👍

And if anyone is wondering why I am up at 2 in the morning, I had an Inguinal Hernia (groin)opp yesterday and the pain has finally kicked in. I joked with the surgeon as he put the euthanasia liquid in ,don't miss with the scalpel,my nuts are precious. He replied don't worry, if I miss, you will be gender neutral. I was still laughing when the lights went out. 

Edited by Globederby19
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

Welcome back EL Capitan, great , now you can run the Trot comps without that other luddite/chump involved. lol. 👍

And if anyone is wondering why I am up at 2 in the morning, I had an Inguinal Hernia (groin)opp yesterday and the pain has finally kicked in. I joked with the surgeon as he put the euthanasia liquid in ,don't miss with the scalpel,my nuts are precious. He replied don't worry, if I miss, you will be gender neutral. I was still laughing when the lights went out. 

Surgeons who do Hernias are a very funny lot.I had mine done at 2pm on a Friday.Surgeon rubbing his hands says "Your my last for the week Graeme"

I jokingly say "Hope your not in a hurry to get somewhere" He replies "Dont worry Graeme ever since they sorted out my Meds. I hardly make any mistakes

at all"

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Hesi said:

Have noted that as well, but not about hernias.  Knees, come back when you get sick of the pain.

I think anesthetists are the worst though.

To be fair Hesi, anaesthetists do not know for certain how anaesthetic works exactly and all patients have different tolerance levels. When I had my knee replacement I opted for an epidural - lower half of the body only - under anaesthetic. I remember watching them slice open my thigh, knee and calf with a 12 inch incision. It was like watching in the abattoir. I do not remember much after that but the surgeon told me I was not only awake the whole time but I entertained them for a couple of hours with the most outrageous filthy monologue that had the surgeon in stitches and the nurses peeing their undies. Stories of my conquests apparently. They refuse to tell me what tales I was telling - too rude they reckon to repeat! ☺️

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, PWJ said:

To be fair Hesi, anaesthetists do not know for certain how anaesthetic works exactly and all patients have different tolerance levels. When I had my knee replacement I opted for an epidural - lower half of the body only - under anaesthetic. I remember watching them slice open my thigh, knee and calf with a 12 inch incision. It was like watching in the abattoir. I do not remember much after that but the surgeon told me I was not only awake the whole time but I entertained them for a couple of hours with the most outrageous filthy monologue that had the surgeon in stitches and the nurses peeing their undies. Stories of my conquests apparently. They refuse to tell me what tales I was telling - too rude they reckon to repeat! ☺️

I should declare some insight here. In my days as a medic in the military I did quite a bit of civilian hospital attachment and worked assisting surgeries, ER work, CCU work, etc. On the surgical ward I was seconded to, the chief surgeon supervised me putting in a subclavian line insertion (catheter into the heart) and he said it was smoother than what he does so he got me doing them on all the patients that needed them for the next fortnight. Always use the best person you can secure, he told me. LOL. I had put in hundreds of drips in hospitals and in the field but inserting a line straight into someones heart certainly gets you focused !

• Like 2

I had both my knees replaced last year. The left one in February went without a hitch, with the anaesthetist getting the line in my arm within seconds and I was out to it before I knew it. An hour or so after the op I was able to get out of bed and go to the toilet without much discomfort at all.

The right knee in September a totally different story. A different anaesthetist who seemed to take forever to find a vein to put the line in. Messed around trying with my left hand before eventually being successful with the right arm. Afterwards when I got out of bed the pain was excruciating. I am guessing he didn’t put enough local in the knee, and to this day the little finger on my left hand is numb. I mentioned it to the surgeon at my last post op appointment and he said it would get back to normal eventually. I should have asked him how long was eventually.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, PWJ said:

I do not remember much after that but the surgeon told me I was not only awake the whole time but I

Some of those pre opp meds create amnesia. I was given some while still propped up in bed 5 yrs ago for a Rotator cuff . Apparently I talked my head off all the way into theatre, like you PJ relating all sorts of things . Buggered if I can remember any of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PWJ said:

In my days as a medic in the military I did quite a bit of civilian hospital attachment and worked assisting surgeries, ER work, CCU work, etc. On the surgical ward I was seconded to, the chief surgeon supervised me putting in a subclavian line insertion (catheter

That is amazing PJ. must be something else to see those surgical sites first hand in people and the amazing things doctors can do. I was lucky enough to do many years in vet surgery after the trotting days of a couple of decades, and we did amazing things with horses, dogs and cats . quite a challenge at times. 

Horse anaesthesia is a huge challenge and loved every minute of it. We had a a couple of acute colics where the horse was all but cactus and the surgeon ended up cutting these like bowling balls out of the intestines . was the most extroadinary thing I've seen. Parts of California, Australia and Sweden i think it is have soil composition and certain minirals that makes some horses form these things in their guts over a period of time. too big to pass so they get bigger and bigger. was insane digging them out. The horses recovered fine afterwards too .

PostSxEnt.thumb.jpg.a9ffe1c80862d137f0d4b4944a815034.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PWJ said:

I should declare some insight here. In my days as a medic in the military I did quite a bit of civilian hospital attachment and worked assisting surgeries, ER work, CCU work, etc. On the surgical ward I was seconded to, the chief surgeon supervised me putting in a subclavian line insertion (catheter into the heart) and he said it was smoother than what he does so he got me doing them on all the patients that needed them for the next fortnight. Always use the best person you can secure, he told me. LOL. I had put in hundreds of drips in hospitals and in the field but inserting a line straight into someones heart certainly gets you focused !

Go on PJ, tell us you auditioned for Mash as well lol

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Lightning Blue said:

That is amazing PJ. must be something else to see those surgical sites first hand in people and the amazing things doctors can do. I was lucky enough to do many years in vet surgery after the trotting days of a couple of decades, and we did amazing things with horses, dogs and cats . quite a challenge at times. 

Horse anaesthesia is a huge challenge and loved every minute of it. We had a a couple of acute colics where the horse was all but cactus and the surgeon ended up cutting these like bowling balls out of the intestines . was the most extroadinary thing I've seen. Parts of California, Australia and Sweden i think it is have soil composition and certain minirals that makes some horses form these things in their guts over a period of time. too big to pass so they get bigger and bigger. was insane digging them out. The horses recovered fine afterwards too .

LB, having two of my own good mares colic and die in the past 6 years I know where you are coming from. When the gut blockage hits they only have hours to live, IF you catch it in time.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, PWJ said:

LB, having two of my own good mares colic and die in the past 6 years I know where you are coming from. When the gut blockage hits they only have hours to live, IF you catch it in time.

That is sad to lose them like that.( I near wept recently thinking of Verry Elleegant losing the life battle foaling recently) . 

Have never bred a horse before so think I will bucket list that for one year. seems an exciting venture.  You must of seen a fair few mares with foals over the years PJ ? a true master of your craft.

Just a footnote on the gut blockage regarding surgery : as over the years with dogs the most common distressed animals coming in were middle sized dogs that had swallowed the corn cob from a KFC feed the owners had , and the dog gets the scraps after the humans finish but some will forget the chewed off cob is pretty hard and solid and not digesting , so gets stuck on occasion.  an expensive feed in the end after Emergency surgery , could be $1000's💰

• Like 1

A minor correction from Max about the original subject of this thread (TRP changes).....and then a story.

Max didn't "decide to relinquish" his (voluntary) role as Admin/Moderator ...it was relinquished for him by Hesi because Max does not want to commit funds right now to help pay for TRP 'operations' (the ones that require $$$, not epidurals). Clearly, Hesi has subsequently invited pete to return as a co-owner and that's absolutely fabulous by Max. Long may peace and harmony reign in the 'hood. Hesi has been paying the bills, so it's his call.

On to the story (far more interessant) ...
A long time ago in Bethlehem, Max was a very busy media man who didn't have time for distractions like minor surgery. But was convinced by his quack to go up to the local hospital as a 'day case' - ie in at 10am, out a few hours later...) 
The task: removal of some nasty warts hanging around unspeakable places..Lord only knows what local trollop had blessed poor Max with those ...

Max enters said hospital and is 'prepped' with some drug or other and is waiting on a trolley in some 'Ante room' near some 'Theatre' ...as the drugs kick in, Max decides to befriend the other dude waiting his turn, and blesses the poor bugger with Maxi's life story up to that point. He probably couldnt wait to be under the knife by the time Max had finished with 'im! 
Funniest thing is, Max had no idea what drug they'd given him ..(they said it was a muscle relaxant) Whatever it was, it was, Max can honestly say it was the happiest time in his Mustelidian life; if someone had walked in with a buzzing chainsaw and said "Time to chop yer head off, young man"..I Maxhonestly would not have cared. Probably would've offered to hold the bucket. 
Ain't it scary what drugs can do?
Post Script: Post-op, mid-arvo, Max was in a big hurry to get back to work at the wireless station, so when Nursie came in to offer a cuppa tea, Max got a time check and said, "sorry, no time for a cuppa tea and a chat, lovely Nursie, I'm off" ...and promptly fell over trying to stand up. 

Stoopid boy!

MM

Edited by Maximus