The Race Place

Results

15 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

Pete missed my winner in the second and managed the last two quinellas. 

Jolimont, how good was he LB ,and you would be smiling after the trot race , Aussie 1-2-3-4.  and I feel a bit aggrieved for Self Assured, just getting trapped the last couple of races and climbing all over them at the end. 

you were pacing along beautifully in the end then . Max and Gee had us all off the bit and not hitting straps lol. cleared out big -time. can't beat a good trifecta for a big winning margin. Let's see if Max can back up tomorrow against your flying gulls 😆🏇

Merlin just keeps on winning. The Entain boss got a good one there. Loving Jolimont .  had a big bet on him tonight. might be Auckland Cup chance if Merlin and co have a break. Self Assured is going great guns , and loves an Auckland Cup run too. so he will be in it.  and very hard to beat over that course. 

Good comp Pete, thanks for running this, always looks easy till you try as a few have found out (not looking at a few in particular lol).  The spreadsheet skills required, comment and summary are not easy, and these comps just don't work unless it is all done before the next race.

I just took Garrick Knights selections and was pleased to get a BB trifecta in the last.

Having been to Cambridge Raceway many times, many years ago, it was good to see the crowds and atmosphere.

PS: Whatever happened to the Harness Jewels?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

Having been to Cambridge Raceway many times, many years ago, it was good to see the crowds and atmosphere.

And the carpet. How good is this carpet in one (possibly more?) of the rooms under the grandstand?! 

Classy. Stay classy Cambridge. 20240412_201047.thumb.jpg.6c4b8a70b0f69fcfabacbbb87b8af3ce.jpg

Final results. Thanks for joining in everyone.

Max 2,990.10
Gee 1,098.40
Blind Squirrel 911.80
Geoff 493.90
Moose 462.40
Karrots 460.70
Hesi 436.50
Maria 392.90
Jack 370.10
Steve P 366.40
NG 357.40
Gordy 355.80
Lightning Blue 347.00
Richie 320.70
Wandering 288.00
Buller Rep 279.50
Ye Olde Pete 248.60
Mardy 245.80
Rees 227.40
Robert 193.40
Pete 174.70
Howie 149.40
Craig 136.60
Black Caviar 123.10
Rob 98.00
  • Thanks 3

On 4/12/2024 at 10:50 PM, Hesi said:

Good comp Pete, thanks for running this, always looks easy till you try as a few have found out (not looking at a few in particular lol).  The spreadsheet skills required, comment and summary are not easy, and these comps just don't work unless it is all done before the next race.

I just took Garrick Knights selections and was pleased to get a BB trifecta in the last.

PS: Whatever happened to the Harness Jewels?

Hesi the Jewels were a great idea thought up by a couple of Ashburton trotting club members who worked hard to make it a reality.But after a few years HRNZ decided to move the South Island one  to Addington and it lost its x factor and disappeared off the radar.Same will happen with Grins night.HRNZ will slowly take over and will get taken off Cambridge.Saying that with the bias of Cambridge,having to be in in first4 turning for home I'm not sure if Cambridge the best place for sprints.Would personally like to see them race over 2700m,gives those with bad draws longer to get round field on the tighter track and short straight

Thanks for that Richie, good info.  Seems to be an ill that pervades NZ racing, if it is not broke, why try to fix it.  We had it in thoroughbred with the supposed wonder of 2 new carnivals lol

I feel Richie has a great point, the day they moved Jewels from Ashburton to Addington it was over and so it proved

Jewels at Ashburton was a fantastic day out, well supported

Racing has “corporatised” racing for the corporates and what a fail that has become, Auckland Cup and Derby day classic.

Thank god they haven’t tinkered with Cup Week but the beating drums suggesting the big 3 yo races will head to Ellerslie .. another FUp if it happens

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Turny said:

I feel Richie has a great point, the day they moved Jewels from Ashburton to Addington it was over and so it proved

And just to compound the issue , the first Jewels at Addington ( Harewood and myself where there) was the coldest wettest day one could imagine. Sleet and hail, a complete waste of time for some of the horses on the day. Ashburton was great, still cold on occasions but a great atmosphere. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

And just to compound the issue , the first Jewels at Addington ( Harewood and myself where there) was the coldest wettest day one could imagine. Sleet and hail, a complete waste of time for some of the horses on the day. Ashburton was great, still cold on occasions but a great atmosphere. 

Ashburton being my home track a mate and mine used get corporate table every year and take friends who generally weren't interested in racing but now most of them go to races quite often.They all loved the jewels,the atmosphere,the food,the free drinks probably helped and the fact that every year we got a few winners. I  managed to get a top driver or trainer each year just to come and chat a few times and our guests loved it.A couple of them still back a certain driver every drive she has.I was dirty when they swapped to Addington and never had bet at trots for about 6 months,went to the dark side and started following the gallops a bit more.Never went to Addington jewels just in spite.

• Like 2

I still can’t fathom it Richie, hugely successful day at Ashburton thrown away to Addington then dies. Never missed a Jewels Day at Ashburton and it was fantastic competitive racing

What on earth did HRNZ not see that we saw? 

Racing continues to corporatise their offerings, my advice to them is sit with NZRFU and learn “how not to” as it will take years, if not a generation for Rugby to return to the glory days, meantime League and soccer cashing in big time and great to see 

• Like 2