The Race Place

Weigh In 25 Oct 2021

Hesi

Not sure why people don't like Michael Guerin.  Presents well, knowledgeable and likeable.

Emily Bosson, easy to watch, perfect delivery, young, modern, knowledgeable enough.  As good as any female presenter in Aus

I note the comment towards the end from Guerin, set in stone, if you are not double jabbed you wont be going to a racecourse

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hesi said:

I note the comment towards the end from Guerin, set in stone, if you are not double jabbed you wont be going to a racecourse

That's typical ill-informed, unbalanced NZ racing (non-)journalism misinformation. ie., political bs. I'd be waiting to see what Justice Cooke has to say about that shortly in the Wellington High Court and if he were any use as a journalist he would say that is dependent on the current High Court decidion re whether it would be an infringement of the NZBoR which I suspect it would be. He should not say that it is set in stone. It is not.

Edited by curious

Maybe a small amount Barry, from some of the more nasty ones, but I think most NZ'ers are reasonable people and will accept the situation and get on with it.  Ardern has already stated the 90% is not set in stone.  If a DHB is stalling on say 88.5%, I doubt they will hold things back for the sake of 1.5%

People like Liz Gunn don't help with her video, that alienates most of those reasonable NZ'ers

Yeah but that is the usual trash that you get on social media.  You should know how brave people are behind a keyboard, face to face is a different ball game.

Simple solution, don't read social media, it's full of loons like Liz Gunn.

In terms of businesses doing it hard, they have doubled the Resurgence Support Payment and will pay it every 2 weeks, in addition to continuing with the Wage Subsidy

For a 1 person small business, that is $10,000/month, in addition to any revenue, as the qualifying parameters are 30% reduction for the RSP and 40% for the Subsidy.

The flu is well known, and it's impact on a population is well known.  Not so with Covid, they are still learning about it, the impact the vaccines will have, the impact of the different measures.  We have seen overseas the impact it can have if it gets away in a population, something it has not been allowed to do in NZ

Max suggests that, given the complete dependence of the industry on Gummit support (already bailed out to the tune of many millions not so long ago), NZTR will do exactly what Gummit says or recommends. In this case the commonsense approach is a "no vax, no trax" policy ... a racecourse certainty.

The sooner, the better. I expect all trainers will be doing the same thing for employees/prospective employees.

MM

7 hours ago, Hesi said:

but I think most NZ'ers are reasonable people and will accept the situation and get on

Allan, it is more divisive than you think. It is turning reasonable people into unreasonable people.And it pervades all walks of life ,it divides family's, business colleagues, etc. As I have stated my Granddaughter at Vic Uni doing a double Masters in Bio/Chemistry has now had her flatmates turn against her, because of her stance on not wanting the vaccine, including a longtime friend. On top of that the Uni is thinking about mandating vaccinated staff and pupils nxt year.   

This girl came to live with us, from Australia, through no fault of her parents under trying circumstances when she was 13. She is in the top 2 to3 % marks wise in her subject, a very bright girl. Now they can destroy her life, future, education and whatever else because of this fucking nonsense.

To say I was upset and sad for my granddaughter would be an understatement. The same has happened in Aussie with her parents, hanging on for grim death in the wake of Daniel andrews crusade. 

Nz,ers arent reasonable they are basically STUPID., and have bent over backwards to take it up the arse without flinching.

forgot to add that on the subject of Trackside presenters, NONE of them are much chop in this fair land. Including Emily (irritating accent). IMO the best by far in recent times was Jayne Ivil who has all the skills and none of the faults of the wallies we have to put up with today. As Max has said many times, Thank God for the mute button and whoever invented it!

MM

24 minutes ago, Maximus said:

forgot to add that on the subject of Trackside presenters, NONE of them are much chop in this fair land. Including Emily (irritating accent). IMO the best by far in recent times was Jayne Ivil who has all the skills and none of the faults of the wallies we have to put up with today. As Max has said many times, Thank God for the mute button and whoever invented it!

MM

I think Matt Cross is OK. That could be coloured by the fact that I backed Collosal at $34 in the last at Riccarton on Saturday after he tipped it.

I don't usually listen to commentator's tips but looked at that one and thought yeah why not 

20 hours ago, Hesi said:

Not sure why people don't like Michael Guerin.  Presents well, knowledgeable and likeable.

I don't get it either. He takes a pounding on the Harness side. Me and Honest J had a fun disagreement about our thoughts on him on another site prior us joining here. He thought he was an xyz, I thought he was fine and takes pride in his appearance. Haven't said anything on this sites Harness thread about him. 

Because its each to their own. 

I do get an impression tho that some may feel he is a bit shallow or something. And focuses too much on JUST the top dogs oppose speaking more about others and smaller or hobby trainers. Maybe they have a point. But have noticed and did mention this on the other site that he is starting to speak out more and give his opinions. As this was also critiqued that he never gave his real opinion.

I at this stage don't have a problem with him.

Edited by karrotsishere

If I could just add, this is all just a public health issue, nothing more, nothing less.  Sometimes in life you have to pick your battles.

Social media and the internet have made things 'interesting'

I would hate to think how we would have got on eradicating polio in today's world

• Like 1

1 hour ago, karrotsishere said:

I don't get it either. He takes a pounding on the Harness side. Me and Honest J had a fun disagreement about our thoughts on him on another site prior us joining here. He thought he was an xyz, I thought he was fine and takes pride in his appearance. Haven't said anything on this sites Harness thread about him. 

Because its each to their own. 

I do get an impression tho that some may feel he is a bit shallow or something. And focuses too much on JUST the top dogs oppose speaking more about others and smaller or hobby trainers. Maybe they have a point. But have noticed and did mention this on the other site that he is starting to speak out more and give his opinions. As this was also critiqued that he never gave his real opinion.

I at this stage don't have a problem with him.

He was almost going to join here a while back, but I guess got scared off by the bad stigma that racing chat forums have

• Like 1

back to Covid .."to vax or not to vax" that is the question ....

Max (who has the vax) has an older sister who is a "not vax". Max says, it's your body, your life, your call. No worries. But Sister is prone to asthma, so if and when someone gives it to her in her "non-vax church group" or whatever/wherever/however, chances are she's going to need hospital treatment. Here's the kind of stuff she sends me as 'food for thought'

vax.jpg

21 hours ago, Hesi said:
15 hours ago, curious said:

That's typical ill-informed, unbalanced NZ racing (non-)journalism misinformation. ie., political bs. I'd be waiting to see what Justice Cooke has to say about that shortly in the Wellington High Court and if he were any use as a journalist he would say that is dependent on the current High Court decidion re whether it would be an infringement of the NZBoR which I suspect it would be. He should not say that it is set in stone. It is not.

9 hours ago, barryb said:

I honestly don't think the vast majority care Curious right now about the BOR, they just want there f--king lives back & are utterly sick of being dictated too. This annoyance is going to serverly turn onto the unvaccinated & we are going to see violence directed toward those who haven't had a jab.

Give it a week & we will start to see this happening when the target starts to become impossible.

Emily Bosson, easy to watch, perfect delivery, young, modern, knowledgeable enough.  As good as any female presenter in Aus

The Hawkes Bay Spring Carnival was spoilt , now Ch/Ch cup week... with a roll of ribbon and a few fence posts sectioning off crowds into managable numbers with access to T.A.B caravans alongside bar facitilies supplying ...RTDS , Vodka Ready to Drink. Bourbon Ready to Drink. Rum Ready to Drink. Gin Ready to Drink. Beers Ready to Drink. Whisky Ready to Drink. and a few portaloosCrowd numbers could be retained, irrespective of Covid !...Similar to Rugby matches

... JUST A THOUGHT Curious.

I Dont think Jacinda wins the next election...she,s ruffled a few to many kiwi,s feathers .  

I've found out my son is anti vaxx from garbage he read on the internet.  We are working on him and he will change his mind soon as he wants to go on a red deer hunting trip to the South Island in March, and has zero chance unless he is double jabbed.

It will not affect my relationship with him, but I am not happy, at the amount of misinformation being spread around on social media.

The best advice I could give to anyone who is hesitant about getting vaccinated............................talk to your family doctor, don't research it out yourself on social media

10 hours ago, Hesi said:

He was almost going to join here a while back, but I guess got scared off by the bad stigma that racing chat forums have

Actually, if anyone does know Michael Guerin, drop him a line about coming on the site, particularly now that harness is a lot more active

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Actually, if anyone does know Michael Guerin, drop him a line about coming on the site, particularly now that harness is a lot more active

That is interesting that Guerin was almost going to join this site. Yes he should. BUT if I was him I would join anonymously with an anonymous poster name. 

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

I've found out my son is anti vaxx from garbage he read on the internet.  We are working on him and he will change his mind soon as he wants to go on a red deer hunting trip to the South Island in March, and has zero chance unless he is double jabbed.

It will not affect my relationship with him, but I am not happy, at the amount of misinformation being spread around on social media.

The best advice I could give to anyone who is hesitant about getting vaccinated............................talk to your family doctor, don't research it out yourself on social media

The misinformation is coming from both directions. That includes GPs, family doctors, politicians etc. Independent research is the best imo and unfortunately there are no clear answers. I agree with barryb ... I think vaccination should be entirely voluntary with informed consent of the risks and benefits as more information about their efficacy and side effects come to hand. The polarised positions have no grounds either way and are damaging families, workplaces, communities etc.

The subtle agenda suggesting that the vaccinated are at more risk from the unvaccinated than from the vaccinated is bereft of evidence. Both the MoH and Medsafe are clear that they have no evidence (yet) that vaccination reduces transmissability of Delta let alone any future variants. Final comments from Justice  Cooke when the High Court case wound up on Friday suggest that a decision against the "no jab, no job" position is likely. "The judge said the key question might be whether the vaccination order for people in certain positions reduced the risk of the virus spreading, which could justify the limit on personal freedom."

Edited by curious
  • Like 2

One of the insane things in the latest NZTR covid protocols is that where I am able to attend a meeting as an owner, I have to choose between confining myself to the stable area (where I can see my horse, talk to the trainer etc.) or the owner bubble in the public viewing area. I can't move between the two. Why would I bother going? And next question, why would I bother racing a horse if I can't do both those things. That's aside from the fact that whether vaxed or not, I won't be revealing that private health information to any strangers. It's confidential to me and my health providers. So, I won't be on a racecourse anyway and they lose anotrher small owner and licenceholder probably forever, for no good reason that I can see.

10 minutes ago, curious said:

One of the insane things in the latest NZTR covid protocols is that where I am able to attend a meeting as an owner, I have to choose between confining myself to the stable area (where I can see my horse, talk to the trainer etc.) or the owner bubble in the public viewing area. I can't move between the two. Why would I bother going? And next question, why would I bother racing a horse if I can't do both those things. That's aside from the fact that whether vaxed or not, I won't be revealing that private health information to any strangers. It's confidential to me and my health providers. So, I won't be on a racecourse anyway and they lose anotrher small owner and licenceholder probably forever, for no good reason that I can see.

Very interestingly Curious, prior to Covid 19, owners were never allowed down in the stabling area. Apparently, due to health and safety concerns. It looks like things have changed now.