The Race Place

INTERDOMINION 2021

Lightning Blue

10 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Excellent point. There was one place in travel, where I wouldn't drink the water, so was wondering about whether to get the 20l bottled water things or not for the horse as well. I hear that the South provinces of NZ has some water quality issues. Must be a problem with chemicals in....  could get very tricky with stock.

The Interdominion program is so 'tight'. The biggest issue (for lots of trainers) is the Recovery. 3 Fast races in 8 days, is very hard to train for. I saline tube-drenched mine, the day after each race, even low class runners which aided the recovery well. The draining they get in a race is huge (as per human athlete) . Hydration A++ priority.

If off their feed slightly because of a hard run last Sat. How do you back up so easily this Wednesday night? Very hard on horse. I don't know how they do it , to be honest. Am sure Purdon and Dunn's would even struggle. Ray Green even said would be too taxing for the Cup winner 'Copy That'. (an experienced trainer.) 

Just 2 heats For each horse in a smaller field size , and then a Grand final run across 3 Saturdays would of been way better IMO.

Yes LB, I came from the Dunedin, and horses coming from Christchurch where they didn't have fluoride in their water, so would bring their own water, or we went to a local stream to get fresh water. In the end a small tank was set up to catch rain water from the spoutings of the stalls.

Absolutely agree with two heats, and then a final over a three Saturday period. I think one of the Interdominions in N.Z. in recent times, perhaps Addington was run over four Saturdays.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

would be too taxing for the Cup winner 'Copy That'.

Quiz day: Speaking of 'Copy That' winning the Cup, the only thing bettor than Winning the Nz Cup in harness racing is winning the INTERDOMINION Grand Final. !!!!!!!!!!

Only 5 Super horses have pulled of that FANTASTIC DOUBLE!!!!!!. many have gone close.

Question today is Name these best 5 going, that won a Nz Cup and the Interdominion Pacing GF in their careers.

One point per correct answer. if you know just one , send it in and get a point !! 

so far it's ( 2 points DoubleR, Enteebee, Blackie and 1 point GlobeD)

BONUS , BONUS . to catch an amazing Interdominion moment , for the history buffs, here is A Photo of closest thing ever at Addington , to a horse becoming the VERY FIRST NZ cup- Interdominon dual Champion. 

so Quiz question 2 (suspect Robert might gobble this one up ) and leave some of the dual champions for another.

Who are the 2 Horses fighting out this Interdominion at Addington?? as they hit the line in Huge controversy .

DSC02552.JPG

8 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Quiz day: Speaking of 'Copy That' winning the Cup, the only thing bettor than Winning the Nz Cup in harness racing is winning the INTERDOMINION Grand Final. !!!!!!!!!!

Only 5 Super horses have pulled of that FANTASTIC DOUBLE!!!!!!. many have gone close.

Question today is Name these best 5 going, that won a Nz Cup and the Interdominion Pacing GF in their careers.

One point per correct answer. if you know just one , send it in and get a point !! 

so far it's ( 2 points DoubleR, Enteebee, Blackie and 1 point GlobeD)

Cardigan Bay.

Stanley Rio.

My Lightning Blue.

Yulestar.

Lazarus.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

BONUS , BONUS . to catch an amazing Interdominion moment , for the history buffs, here is A Photo of closest thing ever at Addington , to a horse becoming the VERY FIRST NZ cup- Interdominon dual Champion. 

so Quiz question 2 (suspect Robert might gobble this one up ) and leave some of the dual champions for another.

Who are the 2 Horses fighting out this Interdominion at Addington?? as they hit the line in Huge controversy .

DSC02552.JPG

Massacre, and False Step.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Double R said:

Massacre, and False Step.

Everyone at the course thought the great 'Triple' Nz Cup winner had won the Interdominion Final. Cecil thought he had won by a neck or more. Doug Watts on the winner 'Massacre' had even congratulated Cecil on the way back to winners circle.

But a 'CRUEL INCH' by the judge , shocked the whole course, and FALSE STEP off massive 48yard handicap was beaten by a lip. 

Cecil unfortunately, had Lord Module miss the start at Sydney Interdominion 1980,  when favourite many years later. 

Do you think Cecil would of loved the All mobile starts that came in after he retired ?? that's history for ya...... 

Well done Robert !! you have MASSACRE d the Quiz today ..... sweeping all 7 points. You are the King of Swing !! 

DSC02552.JPG

• Thanks 1

Okay, right from the horses mouth in regarding lockdowns for horses in this years trotters and pacers finals.

I have contacted David Wonson, the racing operations manager from Menangle, and have receive the following reply.

In answering your question, we do believe that horses in both Finals will be in retention, as this has been in place previous. However, this is not a decision of the club, but HRNSW make all integrity decisions with regards to Retention of horses.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Double R said:

Okay, right from the horses mouth in regarding lockdowns for horses in this years trotters and pacers finals.

I have contacted David Wonson, the racing operations manager from Menangle, and have receive the following reply.

In answering your question, we do believe that horses in both Finals will be in retention, as this has been in place previous. However, this is not a decision of the club, but HRNSW make all integrity decisions with regards to Retention of horses.

Right Im back. Excellent stuff DR! Thanks for that update 👍😃 Keeping us informed. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Right Im back. Excellent stuff DR! Thanks for that update 👍😃 Keeping us informed. 

I had a further message from David in response to my thanks for the information he gave, and is very supportive of us debating the pros and cons of lockdowns/retentions, and he can see both sides.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Double R said:

I had a further message from David in response to my thanks for the information he gave, and is very supportive of us debating the pros and cons of lockdowns/retentions, and he can see both sides.

Fantastic, sounds like a good dude. Yes can see your point of view btw. Just don't have as much trust in peeps lol as you do ha. But yeah get it re unsettled horse & off water Iv heard of that actually & that some trainers take their own water. Be good if the horses that go off the water are allowed human bottled water then in retention barn. The stripes in charge could be responsible for giving it to them to make sure they stay hydrated.

Edited by karrotsishere
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, karrotsishere said:

Fantastic, sounds like a good dude. Yes can see your point of view btw. Just don't have as much trust in peeps lol as you do ha. But yeah get it re unsettled horse & off water Iv heard of that actually & that some trainers take their own water. Be good if the horses that go off the water are allowed human bottled water then in retention barn. The stripes in charge could be responsible for giving it to them to make sure they stay hydrated.

I think this subject has been very well handled by all contributors, and giving, and receiving, each others views, with great respect.

Karrots, have you heard the saying "you can lead a horse to water, but can't make it drink". I say that with a smile on my face.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Globederby19 said:

You might have to ban Robert from these quizzes. Remember he does have a part in looking after the NZ Trotting Hall of Fame. A lot of the photos can be accessed and stare you in the face as you walk around it.:classic_smile:

I think that is a good idea Rees, because I am volunteering at a place that has most of the answers, and probably a conflict of interest. I will therefore step down from entering any further quizzes, as someone needs to set the example, and be transparent.

8 minutes ago, Double R said:

I think that is a good idea Rees, because I am volunteering at a place that has most of the answers, and probably a conflict of interest. I will therefore step down from entering any further quizzes, as someone needs to set the example, and be transparent.

It was said tongue in cheek Robert. Stay on mate. If I see the questions before you I may have a chance if I can plumb the depths (or shallows) of my memory.👍

2 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

You might have to ban Robert from these quizzes. Remember he does have a part in looking after the NZ Trotting Hall of Fame. A lot of the photos can be accessed and stare you in the face as you walk around it.:classic_smile:

Perhaps a handicap system ?. The great horse Globe Derby ,started off long handicaps, well in excess of 100yards at times, and the great Nz horses Caduceus and Cardigan Bay were still able to win the INTERDOMINION off their big handicaps in a couple of Australian Interdom Grand Finals on tight tracks. 

So lets set Robert the world Record of a '6 hour' handicap !! a new world record for DoubleR lol . of the longest Interdominion handicap ever attempted.. If no answers in that time frame , he can step in and mop up the victory lol 

points stand at (  DoubleR 9 pts, Enteebee and Blackie 2 pts, and GlobeD on 1 point)

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Lightning Blue said:

Perhaps a handicap system ?. The great horse Globe Derby ,started off long handicaps, well in excess of 100yards at times, and the great Nz horses Caduceus and Cardigan Bay were still able to win the INTERDOMINION off their big handicaps in a couple of Australian Interdom Grand Finals on tight tracks. 

So lets set Robert the world Record of a '6 hour' handicap !! a new world record for DoubleR lol . of the longest Interdominion handicap ever attempted.. If no answers in that time frame , he can step in and mop up the victory lol 

points stand at (  DoubleR 9 pts, Enteebee and Blackie 2 pts, and GlobeD on 1 point)

The answer is 48 yards in the pacing series.

11 hours ago, Lightning Blue said:

Pacers, 48 Yards.

1939. Main Derby.

1948. Highland Fling.

1953. Avian Derby.

1954. Captain Sandy.

1955. Johnny Globe.

1961. False Step.

1964. Cardigan Bay.

Trotters, 72 yards.

1966. Gramel.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Double R said:

The answer is 48 yards in the pacing series.

Pacers, 48 Yards.

1939. Main Derby.

1948. Highland Fling.

1953. Avian Derby.

1954. Captain Sandy.

1955. Johnny Globe.

1961. False Step.

1964. Cardigan Bay.

Trotters, 72 yards.

1966. Gramel.

Some of the very best there !!!!  , strutting their stuff off a long handicap. 

Caduceus getting a Grand Final Win off 36 yards probably the best performance. 

Pure Steel and Paleface Adios were 2 Ozzie Champions (winning about 100 races each) and also had many goes at the Interdominion,  but neither could crack the win off standing start handicaps , despite several great heat wins, and making a few Grand Finals over several years for them both.

Pure Steel (off 15m) was 3 wide all the way '3rd' in 1980 GF (must of gone 100m further than rivals)

Paleface Adios meeting 'trouble' too ,( interference from frontmarkers ) as you do  racing off those handicaps all the time.  Here's a photo of Paleface Adios running *4th in an Interdom Grand Final. He didn't get a cheque unfortunately , as he is missing a crucial item needed as you can see. !! Paleface still trying hard anyway as he always did.  

DSC02555.JPG

• Like 2

INTERDOMINION Quiz : todays quiz. 

The next round of sprint Heats 2021 about to go at Bathurst tomorrow night. maybe first time heats have been run there.

A great Interdominion horse came from this area. Nic-named "The Bathurst Bulldog" . He achieved a feat that was the very FIRST TIME accomplished in Interdominion history. 

Question 1 . Who is this great horse from Bathurst ?

Question 2 . Who is his famous trainer /driver ? (probably has a heap of grandkids racing tomorrow night)

Question 3 . What was the Interdominion 'First-time event' that this horse achieved ?

(robert no doubt 'chomping the bit' with answer, but has a 6 hour handicap, some clever kiwi off the front row might be able to beat him to the post (answer) . someone will remember this fantastic horse surely.

DSC02556.JPG

14 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

INTERDOMINION Quiz : todays quiz. 

The next round of sprint Heats 2021 about to go at Bathurst tomorrow night. maybe first time heats have been run there.

A great Interdominion horse came from this area. Nic-named "The Bathurst Bulldog" . He achieved a feat that was the very FIRST TIME accomplished in Interdominion history. 

Question 1 . Who is this great horse from Bathurst ?

Question 2 . Who is his famous trainer /driver ? (probably has a heap of grandkids racing tomorrow night)

Question 3 . What was the Interdominion 'First-time event' that this horse achieved ?

(robert no doubt 'chomping the bit' with answer, but has a 6 hour handicap, some clever kiwi off the front row might be able to beat him to the post (answer) . someone will remember this fantastic horse surely.

DSC02556.JPG

1. Hondo Grattan.

2. A.D.(Tony) Turnbull.

3. The first horse to defend his title, by winning back to back Interdominions in 1973+1974

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Geez, DoubleR made up that handicap quick.

Must admit Blackie, there were a lot of breakers up ahead, and got a saloon passage through the field, and didn't need to activate the ear plugs.

Stipes Report: DR was questioned on what he thought the improved performance were due too? DR asked if they had the correct person they wished to talk to, as he has now won three contests in a row, and it can only be down hill from here?  DR was warned that excessive use of the tongue would not be tolerated in the future!!!

• Haha 3