The Race Place

INTERDOMINION 2021

Lightning Blue

1 hour ago, Enteebee said:

Beautide and Tasmania 

58 minutes ago, Enteebee said:

MM will take a lot of improvement

Great work NTB !!! with the correct answer and also Majestic Man getting the chocolates as well.

BEAUTIDE winning the last 2 Interdominions that were run at Menangle in recent years, in brilliant style very easily.

Seriously Doubt that his trainer/driver James Rattray will be doing it again this year though?,  with IGNATIUS. very tame drive last night and only pulled out 100m from the finish at the back. Very weird for an Interdom heat ??? needing points. ? probably got zero points with that effort with Ignatius.

2 points for Neil ties up the quiz (DoubleR, Enteebee, Blackie all 2 points, Globe 1 point)

• Like 1

geez that is a long straight - MM will take a lot of improvement as not done a lot with travel and recovery after that dodgy Dominion

Think once heard commentator say its 300 metres or something …

Wasn’t expecting that one from Enteebee whose been out in paddock for wee refresher & has come back quite fresh, putting the boot in 😂

horse request GIF

Edited by karrotsishere

geez that is a long straight - MM will take a lot of improvement as not done a lot with travel and recovery after that dodgy Dominion

Hi Neil,

Here is the answer to your question on the length of the straight, and other information that maybe useful.

Track Data.
Circumference: 1400.00 metres
Length of Home Straight: 350.00 metres
Radius of Turns: 110 metres
Track surface: Crushed Granite
Racing Distances: 1609, 2300, 2400, 3009.

7 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

Good draw at Bathurst for the sprint distance should see them eat his dust. How pathetic are the stakes for the Trotters though.yeeesh

Bathurst track information.

Track Data.
Circumference: 1064.87 metres
Length of Home Straight: 186.02 metres
Radius of Turns: 109 metres
Racing Distances: Mobile - 1730m, 2260m Stand - 1730m, 2260m.
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Double R said:

Bathurst track information.

Track Data.
Circumference: 1064.87 metres
Length of Home Straight: 186.02 metres
Radius of Turns: 109 metres
Racing Distances: Mobile - 1730m, 2260m Stand - 1730m, 2260m.

I like these ones better and great draw to make use of it - Ants now aware of his pre start tricks - just wants to get on with things

1 minute ago, Enteebee said:

I like these ones better and great draw to make use of it - Ants now aware of his pre start tricks - just wants to get on with things

Wishing you all the best for the series Neil.

Gosh, 42 years ago since my first horse was in the trotters series at Addington. Time goes when we are having fun!!!

Cheers.

Robert.

1 hour ago, Double R said:

Wishing you all the best for the series Neil.

Gosh, 42 years ago since my first horse was in the trotters series at Addington. Time goes when we are having fun!!!

Cheers.

Robert.

yes it sure does - twice second in the final - is this third time lucky?

13 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

Good draw at Bathurst for the sprint distance should see them eat his dust. How pathetic are the stakes for the Trotters though.yeeesh

Oh ye draw is out for 2nd round of races. Nice draw. 

10 hours ago, Enteebee said:

yes it sure does - twice second in the final - is this third time lucky?

Well he certainly gets his chance. 

10 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

Yeah I was there the night he got nutted by Winterfell because he wouldn't take the passing lane. Never seen such a distraught trainer, slumped over in the stables.

Was reading driver would like to see him driven with a sit at some stage if possible. Final maybe with that long straight. No passing lane but time to come wide. 

On a slightly different note @Lightning Blue out of curiosity will they use that retention barn at Menangle for Interdom final? Recall they used it this year for trainer Grimson/Trainor approx 2-3 weeks ish but found nothing. Recall reading they used it in past for a big race, maybe some race Laz was in ... ? 

Wonder if they should be introducing a retention barn in NZ for big races too, e.g. NZ Cup, Dominion, there is that $500k new race at Cambridge April.

23 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Oh ye draw is out for 2nd round of races. Nice draw. 

Well he certainly gets his chance. 

Was reading driver would like to see him driven with a sit at some stage if possible. Final maybe with that long straight. No passing lane but time to come wide. 

On a slightly different note @Lightning Blue out of curiosity will they use that retention barn at Menangle for Interdom final? Recall they used it this year for trainer Grimson/Trainor approx 2-3 weeks ish but found nothing. Recall reading they used it in past for a big race, maybe some race Laz was in ... ? 

Wonder if they should be introducing a retention barn in NZ for big races too, e.g. NZ Cup, Dominion, there is that $500k new race at Cambridge April.

Retention barns are fine if all horses are stabled at the track in the week leading up to the finals, if they are away from their home region/state, but it would be such disruption to the horses preparation if you had to relocate to another location, when you are trying have the horse happy and as fit as you can make it for the big day/night, in its own familiar environment. In the past, and it maybe it is still done, security guards are hired, 24 hours a day, to be in attendance at stables where horses are in big races, three days before the race. Not just to ensure nothing is administered that is not allowed, but to make sure no unauthorized persons come into the stable to what is called "nobble" the horse, or give it something to effect its performance.

Retention barns are fine if all horses are stabled at the track in the week leading up to the finals, if they are away from their home region/state, but it would be such disruption to the horses preparation if you had to relocate to another location, when you are trying have the horse happy and as fit as you can make it for the big day/night, in its own familiar environment. In the past, and it maybe it is still done, security guards are hired, 24 hours a day, to be in attendance at stables where horses are in big races, three days before the race. Not just to ensure nothing is administered that is not allowed, but to make sure no unauthorized persons come into the stable to what is called "nobble" the horse, or give it something to effect its performance.

Gotta - was thinking something like 48 hours retention barn. Isn't that what they did for was it the Miracle Mile at Menangle it was some race Laz was in? Just wondering if they still do it at Menangle for big races?

Edited by karrotsishere

4 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Gotta - was thinking something like 48 hours. Isn't that what they did for was it the Miracle Mile at Menangle it was some race Laz was in. Just wondering if they still do it at Menangle for big races?

It will be certainly interesting to find what they are doing this time.

Even changing the horses location two days before the race is unsettling for a horse going into a new environment. Might not drink or eat as it normally would. I am sure you, like me, want our horses given every possible chance to be, and feel, 100% on the night.

4 minutes ago, Double R said:

It will be certainly interesting to find what they are doing this time.

Even changing the horses location two days before the race is unsettling for a horse going into a new environment. Might not drink or eat as it normally would. I am sure you, like me, want our horses given every possible chance to be, and feel, 100% on the night.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/superracing/nsw-racing/miracle-mile-contenders-go-into-lockdown-before-saturday-nights-big-race-at-menangle/news-story/91561c86563f0f784fd256b629d96cfb

Found this. It says 2017 all 10 contenders into lockdown Thursday for Saturdays Miracle Mile.

So yeah approx 48 hours & released 2 hours prior the race. And yeah this was the race Laz was in.

Article says

“We had trainers at the start who were worried about taking horses out of their home environments but they are used to it now,” Prentice said. “So they are all stabled in the same big barn overnight but during the day they can get out to supervised paddocks.

So question do they still have it & if so for the 48 hours? And is it going to be used for the Final Interdoms? @Lightning Blue might know. Each to our own but I like the idea. 

1 minute ago, karrotsishere said:

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/superracing/nsw-racing/miracle-mile-contenders-go-into-lockdown-before-saturday-nights-big-race-at-menangle/news-story/91561c86563f0f784fd256b629d96cfb

Found this. It says 2017 all 10 contenders into lockdown Thursday for Saturdays Miracle Mile.

So yeah approx 48 hours & released 2 hours prior the race. And yeah this was the race Laz was in.

Article says

“We had trainers at the start who were worried about taking horses out of their home environments but they are used to it now,” Prentice said. “So they are all stabled in the same big barn overnight but during the day they can get out to supervised paddocks.

So question do they still have it & if so for the 48 hours? And is it going to be used for the Final Interdoms? @Lightning Blue might know. Each to our own but I like the idea. 

As you say, every one to their own.

I guess I am more of a logistics person, and not only needing to relocating the horse for two days, but the trainer or staff to look after it.

I wonder how it affected each horses performance, as that race was the slowest in 7 years.

26 minutes ago, Double R said:

As you say, every one to their own.

I guess I am more of a logistics person, and not only needing to relocating the horse for two days, but the trainer or staff to look after it.

I wonder how it affected each horses performance, as that race was the slowest in 7 years.

Interesting re slowest race, but there are no prizes for the fastest time.

Just think ALL horses are in the same boat.

+ Helps to eliminates the chance for anything dodgy Enteebees words - or your words any nobbing.

All horses on a level playing field.

Id vote yes. You would vote no, which is both fair enough & we have given our reasons as to why, whatever the majority decided Id be fine with if it was put to a vote if had a horse in for eg. 

Gotta dash, chat later. 

Edited by karrotsishere

3 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Interesting re slowest race, but there are no prizes for the fastest time.

Just think ALL horses are in the same boat.

+ Helps to eliminates the chance for anything dodgy Enteebees words - or your words any nobbing.

All horses on a level playing field.

Id vote yes. You would vote no, which is both fair enough & we have given our reasons as to why, whatever the majority decided Id be fine with if it was put to a vote if had a horse in for eg. 

It was just an observation about the times.

Yes, that is what is so great about sharing our thoughts, as we can differ, but understand each other, and while agree, it is the same for everyone, it is just that some horses might not be used to being confined in areas with unfamiliar horse mates, and become anxious, just like us humans can, when in a different settings.

1 hour ago, karrotsishere said:

So question do they still have it & if so for the 48 hours? And is it going to be used for the Final Interdoms?

Miracle Mile is worth $1,000,000 the most prizemoney going. For 8 invited runners. Plenty of initiatives have been used to look after the runners  as in security (from being nobbled) and first class horse facilities provided. (a First Class idea !!)

With large prizemoney up for grabs , the temptation to give something extra as a little boost would be great, so retention barn is a great idea to deter things being administered like milkshake adds etc, with the observation in place.

And Horses are like your pet dog DoubleR. If treated well l(ike a good pet)  they enjoy jogging around with you, even fast work , and quite happy on a trip with you , and couldn't care less if in a different stable environment if going interstate. AS LONG as you give them the feed they like, a nice spot to lie down in the evening (I always asked for sawdust rather than straw), a walk , a pat , a brush , a swim,  all the stuff your dog enjoys too, a horse copes quite fine on the road-trips. 

Even changing the horses location two days before the race is unsettling for a horse going into a new environment. Might not drink or eat as it normally would.

Travelled with 100 horses interstate (quite large distances) and never had one problem. they don't think like people . Horses are 'naturally ' hungry. If not eating , I'd be taking a look at the feed you are giving it . not blaming the environment. 

If your horse is a 'sook' , just stay home then and hope the BIG races come to your area I guess..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Miracle Mile is worth $1,000,000 the most prizemoney going. For 8 invited runners. Plenty of initiatives have been used to look after the runners  as in security (from being nobbled) and first class horse facilities provided. (a First Class idea !!)

With large prizemoney up for grabs , the temptation to give something extra as a little boost would be great, so retention barn is a great idea to deter things being administered like milkshake adds etc, with the observation in place.

And Horses are like your pet dog DoubleR. If treated well l(ike a good pet)  they enjoy jogging around with you, even fast work , and quite happy on a trip with you , and couldn't care less if in a different stable environment if going interstate. AS LONG as you give them the feed they like, a nice spot to lie down in the evening (I always asked for sawdust rather than straw), a walk , a pat , a brush , a swim,  all the stuff your dog enjoys too, a horse copes quite fine on the road-trips. 

Travelled with 100 horses interstate (quite large distances) and never had one problem. they don't think like people . Horses are 'naturally ' hungry. If not eating , I'd be taking a look at the feed you are giving it . not blaming the environment. 

If your horse is a 'sook' , just stay home then and hope the BIG races come to your area I guess..

Great input LB.

Thanks for that.

I have experienced horses who came from a different regions, and wouldn't drink the water, because it had fluoride in it. I think you can get away with a horse not eating for a day or two, but not without hydration.

On 11/28/2021 at 5:42 AM, karrotsishere said:

Guessing game for galloping peeps or Harness for those the do not know the answer. Please answer genuine as to what you see. Is this result a Deadheat? Inside horse winner? Outside horse winner? @Maximus @mardigras @PWJ @Gordy or anyone else. 

Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 7.24.16 AM.jpg

To my untrained eye I would say the outside horse but whatever it's not a short head margin !

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Double R said:

Great input LB.

Thanks for that.

I have experienced horses who came from a different regions, and wouldn't drink the water, because it had fluoride in it. I think you can get away with a horse not eating for a day or two, but not without hydration.

Excellent point. There was one place in travel, where I wouldn't drink the water, so was wondering about whether to get the 20l bottled water things or not for the horse as well. I hear that the South provinces of NZ has some water quality issues. Must be a problem with chemicals in....  could get very tricky with stock.

The Interdominion program is so 'tight'. The biggest issue (for lots of trainers) is the Recovery. 3 Fast races in 8 days, is very hard to train for. I saline tube-drenched mine, the day after each race, even low class runners which aided the recovery well. The draining they get in a race is huge (as per human athlete) . Hydration A++ priority.

If off their feed slightly because of a hard run last Sat. How do you back up so easily this Wednesday night? Very hard on horse. I don't know how they do it , to be honest. Am sure Purdon and Dunn's would even struggle. Ray Green even said would be too taxing for the Cup winner 'Copy That'. (an experienced trainer.) 

Just 2 heats For each horse in a smaller field size , and then a Grand final run across 3 Saturdays would of been way better IMO.