The Race Place

INTERDOMINION 2021

Lightning Blue

A bit of a disaster this year with all the restrictions , stopping many visitors from attending the Interdominion this year.

The Locals at Menangle NSW holding all the aces. The Luke McCarthy barn with '4 ' of the series favourites. headed by 'King Of Swing' who has won past 2 Miracle Miles here.

One of them ALTA ORLANDO (an old kiwi warrior from way back) is still raced by Robert and John Dunn so let's hope he get's up to upset his illustrious stable-mates.

I believe TRIPLE EIGHT is still raced by his Nz connections , and has been in Aus for a year or so , trained out of Victoria these days. 

Majestic Man a solid rep for Nz in the Interdominion trotters section with ex-pat Anthony Butt looking after him for the Williamson Trainers and Nz owners team. 

Also in the trotting section is MAORI LAW for Richard Brosnan (and son Emmett) Who could ever forget Richard winning the Interdominion at Addington with his grand trotter NO RESPONSE in his incredible weaving run through the field up the home straight ?????  hairs on your neck stuff.

Any great Interdominion stories ?? why not share here ? as the carnival about to kick off Saturday night.

• Like 1

Interdominion Quiz , for some recognition and a salute to past Interdominion greats ,

will throw in some Pic's and quiz questions to Honour the 'Past heroes of the Sport' as the current series progresses at Menangle. 

will run up a score tally to see who is the RACE PLACE Interdominion Champion on Grand Final night. 

Quiz 1 . Who is this fine powerful horse ? 

He actually started a trend of many horses racing without Headchecks after his career. Not sure if that was a safe thing to do, but however plenty of good-gaited ones get away with-out one, in these days and times. 

DSC02549.JPG

21 minutes ago, Double R said:

San Simeon?

You are very 'Hot' for a few reasons, but not correct sorry Double R.    so Question 1 still up for grabs. Name the horse.  (except for Double R having used your play)

San Simeon never raced in Nz,  but this horse in photo did and won a Group 1 while doing it.  

so  Question 2.  is What Group 1 race did he win in Nz ?  

and this Interdominion winner finished 4th in a NZ Cup after being in front with 100m to go and sitting parked out last 2000m.

Question 3. What horse snatched that Nz Cup win off this champion pacer.?   (can have a crack at Q. 2 and 3 Double R, if you know them) 

23 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

My Fave Luxury Liner won the Cup over him down the straight

That is so 'hot' i'm burning , but your mate old Luxury Liner beat up my mate Vinnie with another Interdominion  winner in OUR MAESTRO (2nd)  in the 1988 Nz cup. 

I used to say 'Our Maestro' even looked a bit like 'Preux Chevalier' back in the day too. 

So Preux Chevalier was 4th in NZ Cup some years before that then , to the Question 3 horse (Who is he? )  and the very unlucky Royden Glen.  

Robyn's Playboy fully owned in Southland is another NZer in Pacing Heats.

In the Pacing section King of Swing pretty much looks a moral however regardless of the standard an Interdom is not easy to win.

I'll be keeping an eye on Mach Dan , Mach da Vinci and Robyn's Playboy (eachway)

In the trotters section I'll be following Majestic Man and Pink Galahs.

Preux Chevalier is the most gorgeous horse I have seen IMO.

I was also at Maryborough when Our Maestro won the Cup ,his lead up before NZ Cup,I remember the race well , I was there with my mate and his brother Geoff Asher a good mate of Jim O'sullivan's.

We had been at Jim's place the day before and he was confident his horse would win the cup!

Anyways I had his horse Quite Famous (I think) one out to get $5 Quaddie!

Back to the race 600m to go Quite Famous in front ...........I'm starting to wonder how much I'm gonna collect ,Our Maestro hooks to the outside n about 6th place ........ I swear Vinnie Knight is bloody near airborne as he charges to the front by 2 lengths in about 50 metres!

The rest is history Our Maestro bolts in.

I have never to this day since seen a horse sprint that fast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, craigos1 said:

I'll be keeping an eye on Mach Dan , Mach da Vinci and Robyn's Playboy (eachway)

Really love Spirit of Saint Louis. Saw him loop a field early on in his career, so he has blinding speed , but as he is only a four year old still needs to toughen up a bit which Im sure we will see in time. 

Menangle should suit him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blackie said:

Lord Module, 1980 New Brighton Cup win, Tassie pulls the right rein,  last to first down the back in a twinkling of an eye, awesome to see, ingrained in the memory for ever, awesome.

Lord Module was a ripper alright. He did make the Grand Final of the 1980 Interdominion at Harold Park NSW . Sadly they were still standing starts there and he missed away.

Another beautiful horse from Nz nearly stole the Show though LOCARNO . my first favourite horse. Zoomed to the lead as they turned in but the local hero of Harold Park Sydney was KOALA KING (Brian Hancock) who powered past Locarno to take the Interdominion Glory.

I used to love the free legged pacers.

Robalan and Final Decision spring to mind.

I remember asking my Dad how a 'three legged pacer' could win a race 🤣.

Final Decision was a freak. Broke and lost a huge amount of ground in the NZ Cup and roared home to just miss.

I realise now this thread is about the Interdoms but what the hell.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

Yep again. Backed him that day as I had followed the little Boyden Hanover horse since his early days. He had a penchant for finding form for a few races then dropping off and he was just starting to show some form before the Cup. His slice of History.

He was trained by the late George Shand for much of his early racing.

Interdominon Day Today ! Love these moments , even if a little light on kiwi rep's this time round. 

Quiz day 1 see points tally score >>>>>>>>>  Blackie - 2, Globederby19 - 1 

Here's another ripper horse for QuizDay 2 .

Q1 . Name this great Interdominion horse ....   and Q2. name the horse running tonight at Menangle with this trainer.

DSC02551.JPG

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Interdominon Day Today ! Love these moments , even if a little light on kiwi rep's this time round. 

Quiz day 1 see points tally score >>>>>>>>>  Blackie - 2, Globederby19 - 1 

Here's another ripper horse for QuizDay 2 .

Q1 . Name this great Interdominion horse ....   and Q2. name the horse running tonight at Menangle with this trainer.

DSC02551.JPG

1. No Response.

2. Maori Law.

Cheers.

Robert.