The Race Place

Thursday Trivia

PWJ

1 hour ago, PWJ said:

That is just the race record for KT. In fact he never left a stakes horse in NZ, the best being a Vercoe Steeplechase winner at Te Rapa named Trelays Joshua and a useful hurdler named Master Brin.

He also left a nice broodmare in Society Lass...   that's something 🙂 

2 hours ago, Dancing Show said:

Yes that's what I was thinking, New York state

Maria and NG guessed right. Appalachian area. New Paltz, about 10kms west of the Hudson. I ended up not far from there in hillbilly country once (late 90s) in the Taconic Mountains to inspect a mare we had been offered. The family lived in a barn and had a ditch out the back for a toilet. The kids were literally wearing sacks sewn together.

The mare was a half-sister to the Kentucky Derby winner (and subsequent Dubai World Cup winner) Silver Charm. They had acquired her as a mount for farm work and breed other farm mounts. Traded a couple of mules for her ! We offered them $300k but they wanted more. This was their lotto win ! I think they got about $700k for her in the end. Her half-sister - unraced - a couple of years later, sold for $1.2m ! We made it back to NY City okay after we decided to exit the local bar in the nearest township following some pretty hostile looks. Deliverance vibes all the way. Could not get down the Taconic Parkway quick enough....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Dancing Show said:

A Jim Byrne / Toby Edmonds combo 🙂 

yep. Pretty sure he had 5 cracks on Magic Millions day across 5 years. Is a handsome Chestnut too 🥰.

Captain Ray at KAOS HQ would nail this one . They might be too tricky for PJ at CONTROL HQ. 

I recall he was a chestnut with a whote blaze (?) obviously a Canning horse when Max was just a lad and didnt understand the ways of the racing world (not much has changed)...Eric Temperton?? trainer ...
recall him (not Eric!) running over jumps at Trentham ..mid1970s perhaps? and at Riccarton ...liked to set his own terms in front  a  la English Gambler of recent times ...didnt always end well..fell in the GN Hurdle when miles in front two fences to go

MM

16 minutes ago, Maximus said:

I recall he was a chestnut with a whote blaze (?) obviously a Canning horse when Max was just a lad and didnt understand the ways of the racing world (not much has changed)...Eric Temperton?? trainer ...
recall him (not Eric!) running over jumps at Trentham ..mid1970s perhaps? and at Riccarton ...liked to set his own terms in front  a  la English Gambler of recent times ...didnt always end well..fell in the GN Hurdle when miles in front two fences to go

MM

I'll ask my dad Max 🙂   if anyone will remember it will be him.

• Thanks 1

On 3/14/2024 at 12:21 PM, Lightning Blue said:

Thursday Trivia for you PJ. A tough one ?  Who do we have here? 

Clue : With the No mates v Kaos Clash on this weekend , this horse might Not be supporting your Team PJ. 

Siegfried-734x460.jpg.d77baa05e22ec57db61a71bb174d293d.jpg

Sorry LB, only just seen this. It has been a busy week. That is old Siegfried. Won a bunch of races for Toby Edmonds but nothing major. He is beating Diamond Fund at the Gold Coast in that photo

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Maximus said:

Does anyone have any memories of, pictures of, or info about KOIRO SCOTT ??

MM

Koiro Scott was a Kurdistan gelding trained by Joe Bromby. His daughter is a friend of mine.

• Like 1

Just now, PWJ said:

Koiro Scott was a Kurdistan gelding trained by Bill Bromby. His daughter is a friend of mine.

He won 9 races including a Waikato Hurdles and ran 2nd to Owhata Chief in a Wellington Hurdles

14 minutes ago, PWJ said:

Sorry LB, only just seen this. It has been a busy week. That is old Siegfried. Won a bunch of races for Toby Edmonds but nothing major. He is beating Diamond Fund at the Gold Coast in that photo

Yes that is our horse . Didn't win as much as I thought initially . 9 from 43 starts . so a bit tough for the NZ folk here.

The interesting bit of Trivia was Conrad SIEGFRIED,  the KAOS man in famous TV comedy Get Smart was only in 14 of the 138 episodes filmed of Get Smart.  seemed like a Way LOT more ?? .  One of the funniest TV Villians ever . most famous quote >>  " This is KAOS, we don't Do That here " 😁

download.jpg.1a176ba4109785fa99bcb67828e0c32f.jpg

Edited by Lightning Blue
  • Like 1