The Race Place

Thursday Trivia

PWJ

NG

with many years of experience in matters wine, that is a Vineyard with RSA bush Pinot 

could be wrong but after 2 bottles of Oyster Bar Sav Blanc seeing triple

Pretty sure it is in RSA

I'll have stab at Taranto, Italy?

Prob should say why... it looks like a harness track to me and it also looks like lights every few metres and Taranto also has trees around the inside of the track.   Taranto has wonderful night racing.. what a fun track 🙂 Should be on everyone's bucket list 🙂 

Edited by Dancing Show

1 hour ago, Turny said:

NG

with many years of experience in matters wine, that is a Vineyard with RSA bush Pinot 

could be wrong but after 2 bottles of Oyster Bar Sav Blanc seeing triple

Pretty sure it is in RSA

well, if you can't spell the word Bay properly after a mere two bottles, Max would query whether two is the right number.

Enjoy the Australian Cup, young man1 Wish I was there with you!

MM

• Thanks 1

Okay, it is not Taranto or anywhere in SA. Not Aussie outback either

I cannot even say for sure if that is a vineyard adjacent. They have been horse racing here for a long, long time.

Here is a video still of a race in progress. May confuse you even more 😎

Capture.JPG

10 hours ago, Maximus said:

well, if you can't spell the word Bay properly after a mere two bottles, Max would query whether two is the right number.

Enjoy the Australian Cup, young man1 Wish I was there with you!

MM

Join us next year Maxi, we put together a good crew and base ourselves at the Mail Exchange a superb sports bar 

Will be a great day and Aust Cup has drawn a ripper field 

1 hour ago, Turny said:

Join us next year Maxi, we put together a good crew and base ourselves at the Mail Exchange a superb sports bar 

Will be a great day and Aust Cup has drawn a ripper field 

You even get to meet the legendary stopper of horses, Chris Thomson

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Lightning Blue said:

going with somewhere dirt and hot and racing for centuries with exotic trees there by clues given

so lets try the middle East and go   >>>>>>> Iran . Gonbad-e Kavus racecourse PJ ? 

Very good LB ! Absolutely spot on ! Tucked away in the South East corner of the shores of the Caspian Sea.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

You even get to meet the legendary stopper of horses, Chris Thomson

Indeed, Thommo is our host and what a wonderful job he does …. superb company and a great punter .. knows his Vic form

20 hours ago, PWJ said:

Apologies to NG and everyone else. i led you astray on the sex of the winner. It was a mare named Inkling. Slam Dunk was on the right track. She was a half-sister to Sir Blink who also won the VRC Derby.

The pic is from the archive of Taranaki Photo News

PJ,

On doing a bit of googling I note Sir Blink was bred just above the beach i.e. Urenui. by an I.R. Cole. Now I did quite a lot of hunting in those days and one of the key people in the Hunt Club there was Ivan Cole. So I guess the main organiser of the beach races would have been him.

I thought I knew a bit about Taranaki racing but the Sir Blink connection never registered. Also in those days there were a lot of boutique studs so I presume Blue Coral would have stood at one of them.

How about you being a Taranaki man? Were you aware of the Sir Blink story?

24 minutes ago, slam dunk said:

PJ,

On doing a bit of googling I note Sir Blink was bred just above the beach i.e. Urenui. by an I.R. Cole. Now I did quite a lot of hunting in those days and one of the key people in the Hunt Club there was Ivan Cole. So I guess the main organiser of the beach races would have been him.

I thought I knew a bit about Taranaki racing but the Sir Blink connection never registered. Also in those days there were a lot of boutique studs so I presume Blue Coral would have stood at one of them.

How about you being a Taranaki man? Were you aware of the Sir Blink story?

SD, I was not aware of the Sir Blink story. Just a bit before my time.

Blue Coral stood at Moerangi near Urenui by Mr R.G. Topless. He stood for 75 guineas in 1963

Another Urenui stud was owned by Mr W.K. Saggers on Kaipaikari Road, due South of Urenui. He stood Alba, a non-performed son of the AJC Epsom and Wanganui Guineas winner Davey Jones (stood at one time by Margaret Bull). Alba only left 8 runners but one was the delightfully-named Sugarmugundi who won a Manawatu Hunt Cup Steeples !

Of course there was Maple Park (Fulfords) who stood Chief Hagen and prior to that Denagh. I visited there once and it was very well appointed. I think it is a homegrown honey stopover now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PWJ said:

Very good LB ! Absolutely spot on ! Tucked away in the South East corner of the shores of the Caspian Sea.

Grrr I thought it looked like fig or olive trees and so I got sidetracked on searching for tracks with those inside them 🙂   Well done LB 👍

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Dancing Show said:

Grrr I thought it looked like fig or olive trees and so I got sidetracked on searching for tracks with those inside them 🙂   Well done LB 👍

Sounds like you could be in Greece there with the figs and olives 😉. We could then re-name you EPONA for PJ's comps as well  😁🏇.

PJ set a pretty hard one as usual....., but let's go easier and with the theme of this racing Week. 

Anyone can answer this Trivia of course and  First correct answer wins the Easter chocolates !! 

Who do we have here in Photo ?  and what Hat-Trick was prevented ? 

DSC03147.JPG

29 minutes ago, mardigras said:

Colours look a bit Better Loosen Up from Vo Rogue - Australian Cup. Stopped Vo Rogue winning 3 Australian Cups in a row?

Exactly it Mardi 🏆. well done. Better Loosen Up (Michael Clarke) roared away by 5 lengths over the old QLD front runner Vo Rogue in the end.  (photo must be taken back up at the 300m Mark or somewhere there.)

And with the Australian Cup on again this week-end , those Hayes Boys colours could get carried to victory again by Mr Brightside to see another Australian Cup Win .

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just reading Imperatriz retired now after career with 10 Group 1 wins total. Only 4 of those in New Zealand though.

So for a bit of Thurs/Fri Trivia , while waiting for the Slot-trots to kick off >>>>>>>

Can you name the any of the 5 Horses with the Most Group 1 wins on New-Zealand tracks ??  (I only got 2 lol )

download.jpg.5b61a65efcc6b2e5dc7477c394932927.jpg

MELODY BELLE,SEA CHANGE,MUFHASA,KAWI & AVANTAGE

On 4/12/2024 at 4:38 PM, Lightning Blue said:

Just reading Imperatriz retired now after career with 10 Group 1 wins total. Only 4 of those in New Zealand though.

So for a bit of Thurs/Fri Trivia , while waiting for the Slot-trots to kick off >>>>>>>

Can you name the any of the 5 Horses with the Most Group 1 wins on New-Zealand tracks ??  (I only got 2 lol )

download.jpg.5b61a65efcc6b2e5dc7477c394932927.jpg