The Race Place

Thursday Trivia

PWJ

7 minutes ago, PWJ said:

1976 - did not complete the course

led by a dozen lengths top of the straight, sailed over it then put his foot in a hole two strides after landing, lost the jock who went over the horse's head and bounced along the track like a basketball as the rest of the field thundered past ...never found his skull cap (lost in the mud)

MM

With ''Weight carrying'' in the News (Imperatriz beaten by a light weighted horse in the Newmarket Hcp)  

Famous Aussie/kiwi horse Phar Lap Carryed 65.5 kg to Victory in the 1930 Melbourne Cup .

But do you remember what happened the year before? . What happened with Phar Lap? A bit of Trivia Not many know

This horse in Photo did the damage . who is he? and what other connection to Phar Lap does he have ? 

Here's todays Trivia horse . Nightmarch_entering_field_with_jockey_New_South_Wales_ca._1930.jpg.e5c2cd7327dbf118f641826fa96cdb3e.jpg

2 hours ago, Lightning Blue said:

With ''Weight carrying'' in the News (Imperatriz beaten by a light weighted horse in the Newmarket Hcp)  

Famous Aussie/kiwi horse Phar Lap Carryed 65.5 kg to Victory in the 1930 Melbourne Cup .

But do you remember what happened the year before? . What happened with Phar Lap? A bit of Trivia Not many know

This horse in Photo did the damage . who is he? and what other connection to Phar Lap does he have ? 

Here's todays Trivia horse . Nightmarch_entering_field_with_jockey_New_South_Wales_ca._1930.jpg.e5c2cd7327dbf118f641826fa96cdb3e.jpg

NIGHTMARCH?  phar lap 3rd wouldn't settle both sired by Night Raid

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ngakonui grass said:

NIGHTMARCH?  phar lap 3rd wouldn't settle both sired by Night Raid

Yes , another NZ bred and owned classy horse NightMarch ... a Cox Plate winner too. 

and his stablename was "The Kiwi" 😁. excellent stuff. 

The bit of interesting Thursday Trivia is Phar Lap raced as a 3 year old in the Melbourne Cup carrying 47kg , just after winnning the AJC Derby and the Vic Derby. finishing 3rd to NightMarch. 

well done NG !! 

THursday Trivia 2 for the day . since we're talking about the great Phar Lap and lugging Weights  .

Phar Lap the most famous Melbourne Cup winner of All time carrying near record  65.5 kg to Victory in 1930.

The VRC did stop him from winning the 1931 Melbourne Cup  . Weight will stop the best of them . 

Have a crack at guessing the weight he actually carried ? (loomed up but the weight told and he battled into 8th place) 

e0e88160f2d7f2dc3b503aee2e48d49e.thumb.jpg.f770f2face981d4cdb00e1225f0c98ac.jpg

3 hours ago, slam dunk said:

Waitoetoe beach? Near Urenui. Looks like Snapper Kamo the clerk. WAs the sire Summertime?

Top work, SD. It is Waitoetoe Beach. Used to go surfcasting there with the old man as a kid. I think that is Mr Kamo !

Guessing the winner may be a tough ask. He was by Golovine.....

16 hours ago, PWJ said:

Top work, SD. It is Waitoetoe Beach. Used to go surfcasting there with the old man as a kid. I think that is Mr Kamo !

Guessing the winner may be a tough ask. He was by Golovine.....

Soon as I saw the photo something told me I was there that day. Can't remember the year and don't know what it was that told me I was here. The question I have where did you source the photo from? 

The Golovine horse is on the tip of my tongue.

38 minutes ago, slam dunk said:

Going back to fifties Sir Blink (Blue Coral-Inky) won 1958 Caulfield Cup. Blue Coral seemed to have close connections to Taranaki and Inky was a Rangitikei Cup winner. 

And here is an interesting story for those with time avail.

https://www.racing.com/news/2017-10-18/the-cup-the-plunge-the-galloping-godbys

Apologies to NG and everyone else. i led you astray on the sex of the winner. It was a mare named Inkling. Slam Dunk was on the right track. She was a half-sister to Sir Blink who also won the VRC Derby.

The pic is from the archive of Taranaki Photo News

• Like 1