The Race Place

Thursday Trivia

PWJ

On 5/3/2022 at 3:58 PM, PWJ said:

Here's a thorny little one...

At one time PJ owned the very first mare by Star Way to leave a stakeswinner.

a) who was the mare

b) who was the stakeswinner

c) who was the sire of the stakeswinner:

One clue:

image.png.6a411f869130bca27ac84785333f7d5a.png

Today's clue:

Rotorua features prominently in this mare's family, so go put the billy on and think about it.......

2 hours ago, ngakonui grass said:

Flying Star

Flying Charm

Great Charmer

Flying Star was the mare I owned NG, correct.

She was a half-sister to Flying Beau (3d Matamata Breeders' Stakes) who was the dam of Rotorua S. winner Flying Free, granddam of Ellerslie SW Cool Storm and 3rd dam of Auckland Cup winner Ocean Billy !

She was also a daughter of the very handy CD sprinter Flying Idyll, an open sprint winner at Feilding and Tauherenikau

Now who was the stakeswinner and who was the sire of the stakeswinner ?

13 minutes ago, PWJ said:

Flying Star was the mare I owned NG, correct.

She was a half-sister to Flying Beau (3d Matamata Breeders' Stakes) who was the dam of Rotorua S. winner Flying Free, granddam of Ellerslie SW Cool Storm and 3rd dam of Auckland Cup winner Ocean Billy !

She was also a daughter of the very handy CD sprinter Flying Idyll, an open sprint winner at Feilding and Tauherenikau

Now who was the stakeswinner and who was the sire of the stakeswinner ?

Flying Reign by Mr Illusion

RA ORA Classic

Edited by ngakonui grass

59 minutes ago, zabeel said:

ah confirmed  my thoughts  

MR ILLUSION  sire  Flying Reign horse 

and the bloke in the helmet was Peter McKenzie playing Elendil in Lord of the Rings. Peter bred, trained and raced Mr Illusion, sire of Flying Reign and in what is an amazing coincidence but maybe not for a small country, directing Peter in LOTR was another Peter - Peter Jackson - who back in the late seventies was dating a girl from Palmy who happened to be the sister of the girl I was dating !

Well done NG !

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, PWJ said:

and the bloke in the helmet was Peter McKenzie playing Elendil in Lord of the Rings. Peter bred, trained and raced Mr Illusion, sire of Flying Reign and in what is an amazing coincidence but maybe not for a small country, directing Peter in LOTR was another Peter - Peter Jackson - who back in the late seventies was dating a girl from Palmy who happened to be the sister of the girl I was dating !

Well done NG !

Peter just a question,a friend of mine says that most champion racehorses come from a dams early crops.Would you concur or is he just been smoking too much.

He is thinking about writing a book on this subject.

23 hours ago, ngakonui grass said:

Peter just a question,a friend of mine says that most champion racehorses come from a dams early crops.Would you concur or is he just been smoking too much.

He is thinking about writing a book on this subject.

There is a very long answer to this. Statistically he is right to some degree however almost all mares are afforded a much higher quality of stallion early in their career also hence this strongly influences the outcome. I have a study on the back-burner that takes mare opportunity into account

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PWJ said:

There is a very long answer to this. Statistically he is right to some degree however almost all mares are afforded a much higher quality of stallion early in their career also hence this strongly influences the outcome. I have a study on the back-burner that takes mare opportunity into account

Zonda! 😉

It's Thursday so here's your trivia question for the week:

Horses & Jockeys provided, just name the race & the year & the winner:

Fort Hagen (David Peake)

Panzer Chief (Graeme McLeish)

Purdie (Herb Rauhihi)

Silver Knight (Bruce Marsh)

Topsy (Midge Didham)

Wiremu (Gary Willetts)

Okay, try this one. The North Island Challenge Stakes (7f) that year was won by the excellent Panzer Chief. Only one horse has won this race 3 times. Who was this horse and where did he make his debut ?