The Race Place

Thursday Trivia

PWJ

Just now, Turny said:

Does anyone know what Ron Franklin is up to these days

Great rider in his day and had many collects off his rides at Awapuni when living at Ohakea.

Great front running rider 

Last I heard he was riding in WA but that was many years back.

I had a lot of big wins off him also, Tom.

He rode a lot for Garth Ivil and they were a serious punting stable. used to get the word when something was set to go. Lots of fun.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PWJ said:

Okay here's a little one to keep you going:

On Saturday our boy Shalatin will be looking to win the ATC Sires' Produce Stakes.

Since 1970 there have been six Kiwi-bred winners - can you name them all ?

Yes, but I'm not going to spoil it.  Too easy PJ if I can answer it

1 minute ago, Hesi said:

Yes, but I'm not going to spoil it.  Too easy PJ if I can answer it

Yeah

My favourite kiwi bred winner would have to be Octagonal

Just listened to Joe Pride on radio, and this is what he said about Shalatin’s chances Saturday, just remembered this could be a comp race Saturday 😇

Here's a tricky one for Friday. There is a horse engaged in a 2yo Group race this weekend in Australia, which if it wins, will be the first major Australian-bred stakeswinner from this line for 5 years.

The modern version of this line began with a phenomenal stallion back in the 1970s who in a very brief career left 5 Gr1 winners and 21 stakeswinners from just 85 foals to race - a strike rate no modern stallion can get close to.

Like most sirelines though they fade sooner rather than later although if this filly can win on Saturday she might temporarily at least be a bright sunset for this line.

1) Name the stallion from the seventies who started this modern day line

2) Name the filly racing tomorrow that might give the line it's first major winner in 5 years

Only clue I will give you is that this modern-day sireline has provided an Arc de Triomphe winner, a Melbourne Cup winner and a NZ 1000 Guineas winner and that the best sire son of the answer to "A" is buried in the Arrowfield cemetery just 20 metres from my desk !

• Like 1