The Race Place

Thursday Trivia

PWJ

14 hours ago, Our Maizcay said:

Kogarah

OM, well done. How did you know ?

Moorefield Racecourse in Kogarah, adjacent to the St. George Hospital and not far from the St. George NRL ground, was operated by the Sydney Turf Club but closed in 1951 after 63 years of operation. The site now is urban housing and James Cook High Scool. I lived nearby for 3 years and drove past the site every day without a clue that it used to be a racecourse. And yes, that was a golf course in the middle

The photo below shows a view of the track in 1954. The other photo is a current google images view of the site. The faint outline of part of the track is still visible.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

• Like 1

Okay, something tougher....

As some of you know, the current H.H. Aga Khan is one of our business partners. In 1968 he sold one of his best bred mares at a sale in Newmarket, England. She topped the sale. Given her granddam was a full sister to one of his best racehorses and stallions it was a surprising move to let go of such a mare.

Subsequently, she produced a Gr1 2yo winner who was a relative failure as a stallion at stud. The family descended from her was slowly withered away and only seems to be active now in Japan.

She was Gr1 placed herself as a racehorse placing in the Irish 1000 Guineas. One of her grandsons ended up at a prominent NZ stud in the Waikato. He proved both unpopular and an abject failure as a stallion. His best performer won a Winter Oats at Trentham.

Who is the mare in the photo and who was her grandson in NZ ?

Capture.JPG

17 hours ago, Dancing Show said:

Another I'll throw out there but not confident ... Jojo?

Brigade of Guards was descended from her via Brigadier Gerard but I don't think the links are close enough.

Good guess but no.

Today's clue - the stallion who stood in NZ was by a sire who had a very good son stand there previously

4 hours ago, ngakonui grass said:

Looking back there were certainly some Rubbish Stallions.

Man the Rail,Heave ho,Redolent,Donal Bain  but they are in the wrong era.

Would i be right in saying that the grandson came out here in the 70s/80s.

Key to question is who was the filly who ran 3rd in the Guineas. but i'm lost.

He came out in the mid 80s and didn't stand at Grasslands. A more prominent stud.

No to Donna, Maria

20 minutes ago, von Smallhaussen said:

Palace Music and grand dam come hither look ?

No, but a good guess on image although PM did leave a World Champion. This guy's best performer won a Winter Oats and was placed in a Parliamentary Hdcp