The Race Place

Thursday Trivia

PWJ

The original owner who stood him at Kotahi Lodge in the Manawatu was going broke around 1990 and the farm put him under some sort of lien giving the matter to a lawyer who had no idea about bloodstock. I offered them $10k for the stallion but the lawyer thought $15k was a better price. I didn't have $15k ! But I thought if I really loved him I would find a partner. Then I went to inspect the horse and found he was barely 15.0hh and not 15.3 1/2hh as declared in the register. he was a rabbit ! A lovely rabbit though no less. I just couldn't bring myself to buy him given that factor. He ended up going to HB to be stood by my good friends Graham and Isobel Roddick and later ending up in the backblocks of North Taranaki near Urenui at what used to be Maple Park Stud.

he only left 26 foals in his first 4 crops and never had more than 11 foals in any given crop so I'm not sure if that was fertility or just poor marketing and management. The Lion King won the Inter-Island Steeple while Prince du Val was placed in the Wanganui Guineas.

Erb Prinz was by Vice Regent whose full brother was the Champion racehorse Vice Regal (the Canadian one) but Vice Regal failed at stud while Vice Regent - a minor winner of 2 races - was Champion Sire about 8 times !

When stood at Urenui Erb Prince was only about 30 kms from Dave Littlejohn's Vice Regent - a son of the NZ Vice Regal (just to add more confusion) and full brother to All Glory

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, von Smallhaussen said:

1st - Count Kereru .. R B Marsh

2nd - Pinotage .. J P Riordan

3rd - Lilt .. D A Peake

1972 Telegraph Hcp. - such fond memories of that day as a young school boy 

Too good VS ! Have to make these harder

Yeah, well done again VS

Home of one of the more curious grandstands  in NZ. I loved the inclined  walkway connecting to the public stand. Bet it was built in the 30s.

Somewhere in those sheds over the back I made my first sale as a vendor of a mare. It was a curious affair as the stock and station agent doing the auctioneering was making a pig's arse of it so I asked if I could take over. Grabbed the microphone and ripped into it. The mare was an American-bred daughter of multiple Champion California Sire Windy Sands. She was in-foal to Seattle Slew's half-brother Great Charmer and was subsequently the granddam of a good open class galloper of about 20 years ago in Global Charmer.

Anyway I got the damn thing sold which was under the liens act due to a bad debtor - an American-based breeder who didn't pay his bills. Bloke from New Plymouth bought the mare. Heather may remember who it was.

image.thumb.png.fd4e98d5d30515d34a030a42ae99e48c.png

• Like 1