The Race Place

Thursday Trivia

PWJ

57 minutes ago, ngakonui grass said:

it was the FU that i saw on the Advert screen sort of put me on the Asian tracks and went from there.Honestly i didn;t even know that they  had racing in Bangkok

It's extremely low key but very elegant and a wonderful complex

Here's a thorny little one.

In 1990 I sold my first ever mare as a bloodstock agent.

From 54 starts she recorded 4 wins at: Stratford (twice), Hawera & Awapuni. She once ran 2nd in an Egmont Cup beating Simon de Montfort.

She was a daughter of a Melbourne Cup winner and within 6 months of buying her for a client, one of her progeny won one of NZ's big 2 mile handicaps.

1) Who was she ?

2) who was her sire ?

3) Who was her Cup-winning offspring ?

4 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

You sure 1990 is right. Simon De M won the Wgtn Cup in 1972. He must have been racing until he was 30 odd.

Just saying.

Yes 1990 is right. Remember I was buying a broodmare, she wasn't young

33 minutes ago, PWJ said:

Here's a thorny little one.

In 1990 I sold my first ever mare as a bloodstock agent.

From 54 starts she recorded 4 wins at: Stratford (twice), Hawera & Awapuni. She once ran 2nd in an Egmont Cup beating Simon de Montfort.

She was a daughter of a Melbourne Cup winner and within 6 months of buying her for a client, one of her progeny won one of NZ's big 2 mile handicaps.

1) Who was she ?

2) who was her sire ?

3) Who was her Cup-winning offspring ?

Gay Dinah, by Even Stevens, dam of Sea Swift 

and yes Google was involved

looked for Wellington and Auckland Cup winners around that time with a dam sire who won the Melbourne Cup

googled Gay Dinah's race record to double check and came across this post from Racecafe back in 2017

Fred Beguely's Doonaree won the Nolan Hack Cup that day beating Gay Dinah, the first mare I ever sold as a bloodstock agent and a good producer being the dam of Auckland Cup winner Sea Swift. 4th in the Nolan Hack Cup was Irish Whip who later won a Chalmers Handicap and a Brisbane Cup ! Blue Nile and Stylish Pal filled the placings behind Jock Harris's Shaheen in the open sprint. BTW Sharif (another Jock Harris charge) won the Egmont Cup by a neck from Fair Cloud.

3 minutes ago, Our Maizcay said:

and yes Google was involved

looked for Wellington and Auckland Cup winners around that time with a dam sire who won the Melbourne Cup

googled Gay Dinah's race record to double check and came across this post from Racecafe back in 2017

Fred Beguely's Doonaree won the Nolan Hack Cup that day beating Gay Dinah, the first mare I ever sold as a bloodstock agent and a good producer being the dam of Auckland Cup winner Sea Swift. 4th in the Nolan Hack Cup was Irish Whip who later won a Chalmers Handicap and a Brisbane Cup ! Blue Nile and Stylish Pal filled the placings behind Jock Harris's Shaheen in the open sprint. BTW Sharif (another Jock Harris charge) won the Egmont Cup by a neck from Fair Cloud.

Gave myself away there - rats !