The Race Place

Thursday Trivia

PWJ

Okay maybe this will be a little tougher.

The very first mare I ever bought (for myself) had an obscure pedigree.

Her granddam had run 4th in both the NZ Cup & NZ Oaks - she was by Dogger Bank

What I want you to tell me though, is who was the sire of my mare ?

Only clues - born in the USA, sent to Ireland as a 2yo, and later stood in both the North and South Islands

His half-brother was placed in a Kentucky Derby and later sired a leading NZ stallion

He was from the Godolphin Arabian sireline

16 minutes ago, Dancing Show said:

Okay muggins here will be first off the rank to get it going .. 🙂      Double Nearco ? 

Right era but Double Nearco was from the sireline of Darley's Arabian

Nice guess, muggins. 😀

Just as an aside, and I love it when this happens! 🙂  .. whilst I was looking at some sires re this trivia question, namely Noble Bijou, I came across Priceless Gem, Noble Bijou's dam, and her progeny, Lady Winborne and this article.  An interesting read about how much impact one broodmare can have ..   https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/articles/5120/daughter-who-made-mark-no-other-producer-stakes-winners/

Also Priceless Gem's line leads to Munnings, via Lady Winborne, a sire that has been in the racing news in the US a bit lately.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, PWJ said:

Right era but Double Nearco was from the sireline of Darley's Arabian

Nice guess, muggins. 😀

Max is bold enough to suggest that MUGGINS or MUGGINS MOB would be a great name fOr the team you may choose tocaptain, Muggins ...good guy gal that you are.

MM

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Dancing Show said:

Is Crozier the half brother Peter, who sired Crested Wave, or Crest of the Wave as it was previously known.. ?

We had a Crested Wave and Crest of the Wave out i think.

Crest of the Wave stood opposite the Hopu Hopu base at Ngaruawahia and Crested Wave may have stood at Haunui.

Crested Wave by Cozier and Crest of the Wave by Crepello

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ngakonui grass said:

We had a Crested Wave and Crest of the Wave out i think.

Crest of the Wave stood opposite the Hopu Hopu base at Ngaruawahia and Crested Wave may have stood at Haunui.

Crested Wave by Cozier and Crest of the Wave by Crepello

Hi NG, sorry for the confusion, I meant that Crested Wave raced by the other name, Crest of the Wave, in the US, but it was changed to Crested Wave when it came to stud here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dancing Show said:

Is Crozier the half brother Peter, who sired Crested Wave, or Crest of the Wave as it was previously known.. ?

Correct on all counts. Dear old Leacroft. Tough Southern girl.

Double Speed - unraced - was a Nelson Bunker Hunt stallion. Stood at Waikato Stud and later at Riccarton Stud.

Hopeless sire. never left a stakes horse. At least my girl won a race - err at Hokitika !

4 hours ago, Dancing Show said:

Is that Dianne Moseley on 15 (right)  ?

Is the track Waverley?

Still trying to decide whether that is Didham or my sadly now departed childhood friend, Philip Alderman on 12 ..

Jockey on left is Reg King. Not sure who that is on the right. 

Not Waverley