The Race Place

David Duckham ADIOS

ngakonui grass

Prolific try scorer in the Lions 71 tour, almost unstoppable.  Dashing winger probably best describes him

Some might remember that tour, when the Lions played every province in NZ rugby, plus the NZ Maoris, NZ Universities(remember them), mid week games, every ground packed

• Like 1

Very sad news. I not only saw David Duckham when Taranaki played the Lions in '71 but I was a ballboy !

I was very impressed by not only his speed but long blonde hair. Taranaki only went down narrowly to the Lions that day and from memory I think they played the local sensation Murray Kidd in their team. Kidd - just 17 - was still at High School in Te Kuiti. I think he went on to coach Ireland later in life.

It was one of the thrills of my life to be up close to these stars like Duckham, Barry John, JPR Williams, John Dawes, Slattery, Quinnell, Gareth Edwards. Sad to learn of his passing

• Like 4

On 1/11/2023 at 10:20 AM, Maximus said:

Max saw him in the match v Wairarapa-Bush at QE2 Park, Masterton back in the day ...he was genuinely FAST, esp those first couple of seconds. Cant tremember hos many tries he scored that day, but I seem to remember long blonde hair 

I watched the mighty Wairarapa Bush play the Lions in 1971 but the game I went to was at Memorial Park.  At QE2 Park (about 1-2 kms down the road) you might have been watching a few ducks and some paddle boats 🙂

Also saw the two teams play in 1977, a few years before Wairarapa Bush's golden period.  Opening game of that Lions tour.

19 minutes ago, Our Maizcay said:

I watched the mighty Wairarapa Bush play the Lions in 1971 but the game I went to was at Memorial Park.  At QE2 Park (about 1-2 kms down the road) you might have been watching a few ducks and some paddle boats 🙂

Also saw the two teams play in 1977, a few years before Wairarapa Bush's golden period.  Opening game of that Lions tour.

well spotted, OM..Memorial Park it was.

MM

22 minutes ago, Hesi said:

I think the pic Pete posted is of the 1973 match at Twickenham, won 9-0 by the All Blacks, so it is Kent Lambert, Bruce Robertson and Duckham being tackled by Grant Batty.  John Dougan was not in the match.

Yes it's definitely Batty in the tackle.