The Race Place

Scratching Subs in Super Comps

PWJ

13 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

For those with long memories of RC days ,will remember Bruce's Harness comps that were on every meet over a (it seemed) the whole season. Same format as PJ,s but scoring only on the top twenty , and only one horse per race and one dollar each way,.so that was twenty points down to one. Outside that you didn't score, but we had 40 odd in it .

Time has flown by since then. 
But I still have a reminder of Bruce’s comp.... and who came last....

18CAAA9F-D4BD-42EB-8917-CAB2E1C5D5DB.jpeg

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, JustPlodded said:

Time has flown by since then. 
But I still have a reminder of Bruce’s comp.... and who came last....

18CAAA9F-D4BD-42EB-8917-CAB2E1C5D5DB.jpeg

Ha ha. I actually won the Champion of Champions in  2008, that was for all the winners of each individual meet. Still have my Trophy/Plaque. In fact those trophies were all donated by Team U2. Good fun.

On 1/4/2020 at 9:08 AM, VvD said:

C

im also not a fan of getting beaten by subs for regular scratchings - late scratchings I can understand.

Yes I agree that it doesn’t suit those who can’t check for scratchings on Saturday mornings but the captains can take care of this.  Otherwise captains only job is to play Joker. 

Methinks VvD speaketh The Truth . Captains' job to deal with scratchings. Sub(s) should be used only for late scratchings, hence Option C should prevail.

MM

On 1/4/2020 at 11:47 AM, PWJ said:

I should add that this is not a binding poll in that the most popular choice will necessarily be implemented. What I really wanted is what I got, an exchange of views and ideas. I am pretty sure there will be a change to the scratching rule - I just need to refine it.

Personally I agree that being beaten by a longshot No. 21 or even a couple of times in one day by a TAB sub when your opponent has picked a balloted runner subsequently scratched, is not very enjoyable. Likewise I realise not everyone can post or check scratchings on Sat morning.  

I think the captains (and other team mates) need to step up a little more but the standard of Captaincy varies from team to team and comp to comp. Subs are a bit of a nightmare for me because it means literally having to check every selection for every race back against a scratching list.  

Subs are a bit of a nightmare for me

and for that reason, PJ, I'd be happy for NO SUBS to be used at all, If your horse is a late scratching, tough bikkies.

As a habitual early poster A is best option for me. Whilst in Australia it was work that made me post early, now it will be grandkids.  Happy for Captains to step in with replacements but late scratchings should be subbed by the favourite maybe - no one can predict those ones

Thanks for your input everyone. As you can see I have gone for what is essentially Option C with the proviso that Captains or team mates can supply replacements for scratchings up until the first race starts. TAB subs etc only for late scratchings.

• Like 1

• PWJ unpinned this topic