The Race Place

Scratching Subs in Super Comps

PWJ

How do you want scratchings to be treated in Super Comps ?

I will put this to the vote. Votes close Monday morning.

A. Scratchings go on to TAB sub and/or 2nd fave as previously 

B. Scratchings go on to the highest numbered starter in the racebook (one replacement only allowed)

C. Only late scratchings go on to TAB sub and/or 2nd fave (no subs for normal scratchings) 

D. Scratchings go on to the highest numbered starter in the racebook but late scratchings go on to TAB subs

• PWJ pinned this topic
43 minutes ago, JustPlodded said:

Is there a D ?
Scratching go on highest number starter. 
But late scratchings go on sub.

Folk have a chance to put in subs for normal scratchings but not when they are scratched at the barrier etc.

Yes, I have given you an option D. People who have already voted may revise their vote if they wish

48 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

Personally I hate A. Have been done too many times by opposition sub horses.

D for me thnx.

I know how you feel Rees but wouldn't you feel gutted if you'd picked most of the card but got undone by someone who was subbed a 50-1 highest number starter? 

cheers
R

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PWJ said:

How do you want scratchings to be treated in Super Comps ?

I will put this to the vote. Votes close Monday morning.

A. Scratchings go on to TAB sub and/or 2nd fave as previously 

B. Scratchings go on to the highest numbered starter in the racebook (one replacement only allowed)

C. Only late scratchings go on to TAB sub and/or 2nd fave (no subs for normal scratchings) 

D. Scratchings go on to the highest numbered starter in the racebook but late scratchings go on to TAB subs

Not sure what the best answer is here Peter, all 4 have pros and cons.  I only went for A as it is the status quo, and I suspect others will have taken this line so A will win.

C partially gets around the negatives mentioned by Ray and Rees, but several people post early and do not revisit, so with any scratchings they would not have a runner(s).

I think it is good that you have allowed people to air their views, perhaps take on board what people have said Peter, and then you make a call, which I believe everyone will accept, in the knowledge that all options have their pros and cons......unless of course some genius can come up with another solution, perhaps anyone posting before the official scratching time is allowed to post 2 subs in brackets and late scratchings go on the TAB sub

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustPlodded said:

Agreed, but this is the same feeling we get often when playing Gee 🙄

But at least Gee has come up with his own selections. The other way is a lottery. If it comes down to subs I'd much prefer option A over B or D.

cheers
R

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

Not sure what the best answer is here Peter, all 4 have pros and cons.  I only went for A as it is the status quo, and I suspect others will have taken this line so A will win.

C partially gets around the negatives mentioned by Ray and Rees, but several people post early and do not revisit, so with any scratchings they would not have a runner(s).

I think it is good that you have allowed people to air their views, perhaps take on board what people have said Peter, and then you make a call, which I believe everyone will accept, in the knowledge that all options have their pros and cons......unless of course some genius can come up with another solution, perhaps anyone posting before the official scratching time is allowed to post 2 subs in brackets and late scratchings go on the TAB sub

Very true but I guess that's why we have captains to take on the responsibility of posting subs.

Agree, there's no easy answer. I went with C only because I hate getting beat by subs but I'd be happy to stick with the usual, although your post 2 subs suggestion does have merit. How that would work for P.J. would be my only concern. 

My real pet hate is when someone does  a no-show and you lose to a last minute batch of substitute picks. 🙄

cheers
R

37 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Which means C is the fairest option and puts the onus on the captain to put in replacements  for scratchings before  11 or the player has only 1 or in some cases no runners in each situation 

Putting the onus on the Captain or in other words making it compulsory for the Captain to put in replacements has its problems. Not mentioning names but as Captain a few times I have been told not to post my selections , they would prefer the subs.? Take the whole thing out of everyone's hands which makes C the logical one.

Of course we could be given 4 horses  per race( scratching would always leave a runner sonewhere). Just kidding

I should add that this is not a binding poll in that the most popular choice will necessarily be implemented. What I really wanted is what I got, an exchange of views and ideas. I am pretty sure there will be a change to the scratching rule - I just need to refine it.

Personally I agree that being beaten by a longshot No. 21 or even a couple of times in one day by a TAB sub when your opponent has picked a balloted runner subsequently scratched, is not very enjoyable. Likewise I realise not everyone can post or check scratchings on Sat morning.  

I think the captains (and other team mates) need to step up a little more but the standard of Captaincy varies from team to team and comp to comp. Subs are a bit of a nightmare for me because it means literally having to check every selection for every race back against a scratching list.  

For my 2 cents worth (granted not much) When i ran similar comp at local TAB a few years back e had a similar problem ...... could not appease everyone ..... because of those that worked which was the most diffulcult group who often rang through the picks friday night ..... it was finally decided to take the smallest number of that teams captains picks and if both horses were scr then the captains two picks and if his/hers were scr then it automatically fell to the first two subs, It worked well. 

7 minutes ago, Sir Gallivant said:

For my 2 cents worth (granted not much) When i ran similar comp at local TAB a few years back e had a similar problem ...... could not appease everyone ..... because of those that worked which was the most diffulcult group who often rang through the picks friday night ..... it was finally decided to take the smallest number of that teams captains picks and if both horses were scr then the captains two picks and if his/hers were scr then it automatically fell to the first two subs, It worked well. 

For a start Rex, you can cut that out, you are one of the most valued players in this comp, and when I think back to the trials and tribulations we went through to convince Peter to move here, people like you were always in the back of our mind, when there was a possibility, that these comps might be lost.....and believe me, it was a possibility.

And that brings it to an appropriate timing to once again thank Peter for the faith he has had in us, and congratulations and thanks on running another superb competition.  This format seems to have struck a note with most, always difficult to get the individual aspect as good as the team, but I think this is as close as you will get.

And finally of course, big congrats to WANDERING, never in doubt was it.

I'm intrigued to know who you were on BOAY and RC, but no need to answer that morbidly curious question if you don't want

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whoever he is he's far better at selecting gallopers than I. Lol.

For those with long memories of RC days ,will remember Bruce's Harness comps that were on every meet over a (it seemed) the whole season. Same format as PJ,s but scoring only on the top twenty , and only one horse per race and one dollar each way,.so that was twenty points down to one. Outside that you didn't score, but we had 40 odd in it .

Because of its length you could have an off day or two or three and still catch up , and surprisingly there were no ,no shows. One decent outsider and one normally ended up the top.

He also ran a punting night where we all put in so much ,10 or 20 I think from memory into his TAB account and gave various people the jobs of picking, quinellas, quaddies,doubles ,etc. , and he placed them on.Heaps of fun, and some good results. Just a bit of trivia